Thoughts on Full Metal Jacket rounds

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Friend of mine told me about Full Metal Jacket rounds, he also thought they may be illegal other than military use. I thought it may be fun to try a box. Are they legal? If so, how much do you think 20 rounds of 30\06 will set me back? I've looked in a couple of gun shops, but can't even get 357 or 45 rounds.

Thanks,
Alan

Yes, they're legal, and also required by the military due to the fact that they are much better at wounding than killing. FMJ will normally go through the intended target without as much flesh damage as hollow points.

And... just about everyone is out of ammo. I don't think you're going to find any fmj 30.06 anyway. No one would use them to hunt with.

What would be illegal would be armor piercing. Not fmj.

I have shot alot of fmj while "playing". In AR fmj are not allowed for hunting deer. I have always wondered if the fmj would be more prone to ricochet since the bullets do not disentigrate like the soft points when they hit something? If you reload you can find great deals on the fmj 30 caliber bullets that have been pulled from military ammo.

FMJ are not desired, by most people, because they will hit bystanders..shoot thru thing, walls, cars, ect...Jacketed, ball, ect.. are safer ammo ..In a combat role FMJ will kill more people. It is fairly eaisy to buy 223 and 308 in FMJ and even tracers..

I have often thought that FMJ would work good for critters such as wolves where it would be desirable for the bullet to go all the way through and the animal to run off and die miles away. Thus leaving no way of tracing then back to you.

My uncle bought some army surplus 30-06 back around 1960. He shot a big buck with it. I am sure the deer died, we just never found it. And we tracked it for miles.

alftn":tovh8l1u said:
FMJ are not desired, by most people, because they will hit bystanders..shoot thru thing, walls, cars, ect...Jacketed, ball, ect.. are safer ammo ..In a combat role FMJ will kill more people. It is fairly eaisy to buy 223 and 308 in FMJ and even tracers..

Kill more people than What?. HOW? please explain!

FMJ are not stopped as easy a jacket bullets, witch mushroom..

alftn":18wablqk said:
FMJ are not stopped as easy a jacket bullets, witch mushroom..

No offense intended but I think you might have it backwards.

It has always been my understanding that the reason FMJ bullets are approved by the Geneva convention is that they wound and not kill. They are jacketed to prevent mushrooming which does far more tissue and bone damage.

alftn":461eoigy said:
In a combat role FMJ will kill more people.

Only if they;re lined up one behind the other. As has been stated before, the comcept of shooting someone in combat is to remove them from combat (and in civilized countrys) reovem the people/person that will be adding them. 2 for the price of one. If they die that's strictly a 1 for 1 deal

FMJ is much safer for the soldiers on the battlefield because it does not cause as much tissue/organ damage. If it's a .223 round that they're using (as in M16), then you have a .223 size hole going in and coming out. If you were using a .223 round that was not fmj, then you would have a .223 hole going in and who knows what size coming out, after it had mushroomed.

The purpose of battle is not to kill, but to wound. When you kill, the other soldiers are not detained in treating. They will just gather the body when finished. If a soldier is wounded, it can take several soldiers out of the fight trying to save the one that is wounded.

FMJ is safer for all involved.

I use FMJ (Full Metal Jackets) for target ammo. The main reason is this is all most ranges will allow us to shoot. For personal protection I use Remington Golden Saber 180 grain 40 caliber BJHP (Brass Jacketed Hollow Point) in my Smith and Wesson Sigma 40VE as it will do more damage.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":390xuirs said:
I use FMJ (Full Metal Jackets) for target ammo. The main reason is this is all most ranges will allow us to shoot. For personal protection I use Remington Golden Saber 180 grain 40 caliber BJHP (Brass Jacketed Hollow Point) in my Smith and Wesson Sigma 40VE as it will do more damage.

I stocked up on Black Talons before they went out of production. The .45acp Black Talon is known as "the flying ashtray".

grannysoo":g9vzwfuw said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":g9vzwfuw said:

I stocked up on Black Talons before they went out of production. The .45acp Black Talon is known as "the flying ashtray".

Yeah I have been trying to find federal hydra shock but everywhere I look they are sold out.

grannysoo":3ckt7nh5 said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":3ckt7nh5 said:

Got just a couple boxes left---Hate to say it but, liking my 40 cal. more and more !! :roll: :roll:

Latest posts