Thoughts on cow eye issue

Help Support CattleToday:

Rather than start my own thread on this, I thought I'd just carry on with this one... We brought a heifer home a month or so ago from a place in Montana. She was getting over a pretty bad case of ringworm (the seller disclosed it to me, I wanted the genetics and figured we could deal with whatever came with the ringworm). Now, several others have some small scabs in classical ringworm locations...

...so...

If left to natural recovery, what sort of range (in terms of time) have you guys seen it takes to get better from a case of ringworm from the onset of scabs to all healed over and new hair? This is our first real episode with it and don't know what to expect in terms of "how long until they look normal again".

WalnutCrest":3u90b848 said:
Rather than start my own thread on this, I thought I'd just carry on with this one... We brought a heifer home a month or so ago from a place in Montana. She was getting over a pretty bad case of ringworm (the seller disclosed it to me, I wanted the genetics and figured we could deal with whatever came with the ringworm). Now, several others have some small scabs in classical ringworm locations...

...so...

If left to natural recovery, what sort of range (in terms of time) have you guys seen it takes to get better from a case of ringworm from the onset of scabs to all healed over and new hair? This is our first real episode with it and don't know what to expect in terms of "how long until they look normal again".

Had some in my fall calves this winter. One had a big open patch in the middle of her head in mid-January. It is covered in short hair now - so about 2 months.

When I was a kid the farmer I helped always had me paint the ringworm spots with used motor oil. I never got all the young stock painted but the ringworm disappeared from them all about the same time.

millstreaminn":nw8v8ous said:
When I was a kid the farmer I helped always had me paint the ringworm spots with used motor oil. I never got all the young stock painted but the ringworm disappeared from them all about the same time.

Old neighbor who long since has gone on would paint ringworm too.
He always emphasized NEW motor oil to avoid lead or other potential contamination from animals licking it off.

The time that I seen for my cows started on Mid February and how have hair growing back over the bald spots and scabs. So month and a half to two months is proving right.

The sun and heat has really helped them recover.

Latest posts