Thoughts on building new house...

Help Support CattleToday:

Ohio Cowboy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I dont post much but I read daily so I feel like I know everyone even though most dont know me. Were in a potentially unique situation were we can sell our current house and barn and build new for pretty much an even trade. Maybe I'm crazy but what are your thoughts about that? Those of you that have done it would you do it again ? Right now I have older barns but I have 3 different ones all big but they all need new metal siding over the wood. If we build I would most likely only get one big barn and if I'm lucky a smaller workshop. Part of me dosent want to sell, but another part of me thinks with everything here being older the work never stops with updating things. Let hear your thoughts....

I bought my place in 1989. I was 18 years old. It had no buildings, no fences, and hadn't been bushhogged in 12-15 years. Took me several years, and a ton of work to make it a farm. A tornado came through in 2006, and erased it all. Still don't consider myself built back. Long story short, I have quit a bit of experience building. First off, what ever dollar figure you have in mind for building something, add a minimum of 25%. 50% may be a more realistic number.

I would add, new stuff gets old someday. Everything on my place is 10-14 years old. Everything on my place, is in a constant state of repair. I'm on my second set of hay equipment, My house has had new HVAC, and two roofs, i could repair fence for days, and never see the end, no end to spreading rock, the list goes on and on. Your new place wil be a big old pain the rear someday, is what I'm saying, and it may even start out that way.

I would do it in a New York minute. It would be nice to start over with all the modern updates like LED's, more efficient appliances, better insulation, new modern durable flooring or polished concrete etc, etc. The house I built 20 years ago has held up fairly well but the place at the ranch was shoddily built and the maintenance seems never ending.

If I could slap the house and shop I built on the ranch property, everything would be hunky dory.

Nope I built my last one in 04!
Steel frame rated for 140 mph winds, steel siding, steel roof all wiring in conduit, R30 insulation. I was sick of maintenance and wanted to enjoy retirement. Everything else can be remodeled if you like the location.
A house is a money pit from day one.We rent houses from the government just like our land, just looking for the cheapest maintenance.

All good thoughts. Building also would move me to the pasture I use for the cows all summer. I take them home to our current place all winter and feed in a small area and barn.

Ohio Cowboy said:
All good thoughts. Building also would move me to the pasture I use for the cows all summer. I take them home to our current place all winter and feed in a small area and barn.

It's all about location!
The rest is just a money pit only difference is how deep is the pit.

Building has gotten outrageous, unless you can do some work yourself. My house was built in 1991 by my father, myself and some extra help. We also contracted out some of the work as you will get a better house (drywall, brick, cabinets, etc.) Get 3 or 4 bids before you start and have everything in writting to keep the corner cutting down. Personally me I hope I have built my last.

I am in the process of building a new house right now :) My dream house. If you have the money why not?

And to add to jltrents thoughts I will attest to that. It would have been cheaper for me to buy a property with a house already done but the issue is the houses are not what I wanted. Also its hard around here to find a nice farm with a nice house. You either get nice barns and a crap house or a nice house and no barns. So I bought the land and started to build. We budgeted around $800,000 to build the basics and we have now more than doubled that budget...we will be all in around $1.5M just to build the house and one small barn (2,000 sqft).

cowgal604 said:
And to add to jltrents thoughts I will attest to that. It would have been cheaper for me to buy a property with a house already done but the issue is the houses are not what I wanted. Also its hard around here to find a nice farm with a nice house. You either get nice barns and a crap house or a nice house and no barns. So I bought the land and started to build. We budgeted around $800,000 to build the basics and we have now more than doubled that budget...we will be all in around $1.5M just to build the house and one small barn (2,000 sqft).
My god.... what do you do for a living.... :?: :banana:

jltrent said:
Building has gotten outrageous, unless you can do some work yourself.
That's what gets me the most. I could do the entire thing from the ground up if I had the time. I built houses for 15 years. Most of the people I know/knew aren't doing it anymore. Dosent seem like banks are to keen on the idea of an owner builder either. I would prefer to be my own general contractor and just sub out the major items.

Ohio Cowboy said:
cowgal604 said:

I work for the family business. Sell steel, industrial. Business degree. My husband is a stock broker. We also got one if the first marijuana government licenses to grow recreationally which paid of my land quickly. Truthfully I just made a few really good real estate investments young which has got me into this new farm. I bought land at 20 years old because my parents forced me to. Actually. Best thing I ever did.

Reading this thread makes me feel behind. My house was built in the 1940s, and barns were 40s and 50s. I guess I better get busy and get updated.

ALACOWMAN said:
herofan said:
Reading this thread makes me feel behind. My house was built in the 1940s, and barns were 40s and 50s. I guess I better get busy and get updated.

Or you could stay there, and rest easy..
Isn't that the truth. How much house can a couple of folks "occupy"?? But some just have to impress. One bad hiccup and they lose everything.

ALACOWMAN said:
herofan said:

Or you could stay there, and rest easy..

That's exactly what I plan to do. There was a lot of sarcasm in my statement. It's an old farm house. I use about 1200 square feet. It's paid for, and it keeps me warm and dry, so I feel like I'm in a good place.

Ohio Cowboy said:
cowgal604 said:

Bottle calves !

If you have a clue, you can rake in the big bucks! :D :D :D

I have always bought someone else's hard work.

If you have built before, you know how many issues can pop up, then, you have all the finishing off to do still.

So it is a matter of money really, a well built 40 year old house here will prob stand up better than all the new stuff, older hardwoods etc vs much thinner pine....

If money is no problem, then I would find a well known project builder who will do the lot, not sure about there, but here, project homes now are so varied and something for everyone & most will custom build as well...

At the same time, if money is not a problem, hire help to maintain what you already have if it is a decent home, and get some new steel sheds ?

Latest posts