thoughts on ballesting

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What are yalls thoughts on liquid ballesting the back tractor tires? I bought a new John Deere 5203 with a 510 loader to unload round hay bales and feed with- the manual says the liquid ballest is a good option- however, I do not want to carry around all that weight when just bushhogging or grading-- I have a 3pt spear that I can counter ballest with another hay bale- Do yall water your tires? pros cons??

[email protected]

I use a JD 5320 with the 510 loader and had the same problem you are having. I did put the water in the back tires and notice a BIG difference. I would suggest doing it. I have used the tractor for other things as well and don't really notice any difference with the water installed. I don't know of any cons.

[email protected]

another plus for water in tires is less likely to tip over sideways if on an incline...

gene

> I use a JD 5320 with the 510
> loader and had the same problem
> you are having. I did put the
> water in the back tires and notice
> a BIG difference. I would suggest
> doing it. I have used the tractor
> for other things as well and don't
> really notice any difference with
> the water installed. I don't know
> of any cons.

[email protected]

Straight water in the tires can cause over pressure during the summer and the can freeze in the winter. Mixing antifreeze helps both problems. Around here they use calcium cloride. It turns out cheaper in the long run to have an implement tire place pump it in then to mess around yourself. It can cause problems with the air valve getting funky and not working if you have to add air in a a few years. The only real negative to ballast in the tires is the weight of the tire if you hvae to remove the tire and the mess of the fluid if you take the tire off the rim.

dun

> What are yalls thoughts on liquid
> ballesting the back tractor tires?
> I bought a new John Deere 5203
> with a 510 loader to unload round
> hay bales and feed with- the
> manual says the liquid ballest is
> a good option- however, I do not
> want to carry around all that
> weight when just bushhogging or
> grading-- I have a 3pt spear that
> I can counter ballest with another
> hay bale- Do yall water your
> tires? pros cons??

big pro is also the improved traction that you get because of the greater weight of the tractor. i don't do it myself, tractor is heavy enough, but a mate of mine does it. he keeps a set of tires with water in them for when he has to plow, otherwise his NH doesn't have enough traction.

[email protected]

> Straight water in the tires can
> cause over pressure during the
> summer and the can freeze in the
> winter. Mixing antifreeze helps
> both problems. Around here they
> use calcium cloride. It turns out
> cheaper in the long run to have an
> implement tire place pump it in
> then to mess around yourself. It
> can cause problems with the air
> valve getting funky and not
> working if you have to add air in
> a a few years. The only real
> negative to ballast in the tires
> is the weight of the tire if you
> hvae to remove the tire and the
> mess of the fluid if you take the
> tire off the rim. dun

I've got a JD5410 & 541 loader and had the same problem; Our JD store will take care of it for you for about $35 per tire. You'll be suprised at the difference in overall performance, not just for moving round bales. They make a specific fluid for that purpose, no rim rusting, or valve stem problems.

[email protected]

Latest posts