Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
100_3427.JPG
[/url][/img]

100_34251.JPG
[/url][/img]

100_3415.JPG
[/url][/img]

deserved his two minutes of fame. Came home Thurs. evening and found his momma down, two hooves out and really straining. She is one of three Gelbvieh heifers we brought in this Spring and let me lead her a short way into the barn and into the squeeze. A hard pull, it was all she could do to help us a bit, and I believe she had been trying for a while before we found her. Anyway, long story short, this little guy had a tough arrival, quite a bit of pressure on his head/tongue and contracted tendons so he couldn't stand up or get going. The past two days we've gone from drenching with colostrum, electrolytes through to nuflor/pre def, milking the heifer out, bottle feeding and finally, knock on wood, success.

First time posting any pic's, and I'm not sure if I've been able to make larger than thumbnails. We appreciate all the helpful cattle talk here and thought we'd take the time to share one we were able to save. Best to all...

PineHill Farms":1reyt0v4 said:
100_3427.JPG

100_34251.JPG

100_3415.JPG

deserved his two minutes of fame. Came home Thurs. evening and found his momma down, two hooves out and really straining. She is one of three Gelbvieh heifers we brought in this Spring and let me lead her a short way into the barn and into the squeeze. A hard pull, it was all she could do to help us a bit, and I believe she had been trying for a while before we found her. Anyway, long story short, this little guy had a tough arrival, quite a bit of pressure on his head/tongue and contracted tendons so he couldn't stand up or get going. The past two days we've gone from drenching with colostrum, electrolytes through to nuflor/pre def, milking the heifer out, bottle feeding and finally, knock on wood, success.

First time posting any pic's, and I'm not sure if I've been able to make larger than thumbnails. We appreciate all the helpful cattle talk here and thought we'd take the time to share one we were able to save. Best to all...

Looks big enough to be a hard pull. Glad he is doing fine now.

In posting photos, don't use the url button, img only and click on the thumbnail at ranchers to enlarge the photo before copying the propeties of that photo. (or edit out thumbs and change to medium, whichever is easier for you).

Thanks very much 82' for the help with the pic's...appreciate the further directions. He's off with flying colours now-- just about knocked me over doing laps in the pen this a.m.....

As 82vett said, he is a big fella, and I can imagine she did get worn out trying to deliver him. Glad you found them in time to help things along. Nice looking pair.

Thanks Farmwriter....was very pleased to get this guy going and couldn't be happier with the heifer. She's a dream to work with, can do anything with her no trouble at all. I think she'll be a fine cow for us

Holy calf, look at the back end of that fella, no wonder he was stuck in mom. Congrats on them ,always like to hear a happy ending ... :D

Thank you Hillsdown...as you say, some heavy hips. Once she was able to clear his head and shoulders we
were stuck for a while on the hips. We finally were able to turn him enough to get him out of there....also glad she let us move her so easily into the barn-- pretty muddy around here. :)

Right TN....we've used a come-along once or twice when short-handed to help but we generally just try let our cows do most of the work....everyone needs a helping hand every once in a while though....

Latest posts