Thought for the day

Help Support CattleToday:

My thoughts on whining:
It reveals weakness of character.
It is juvenile.
It never fixes anything.
No one cares anyway.

OK - here is a thought for the day that many ignore and their families then forget about them.

Go to the store and by some old fashioned note books. Every morning when you sit down for your coffee, put pen to paper and tell your life story. Add some pictures to the story.

Do not do it on computer unless you print it off - because software dies but paper lives for thousands of years.

When you die people will come to your funeral and then slowly but surely forget about you.

Your own family, two generations away will not only not remember you, they will not know what you looked like and they will let you fade away into permanent anonymity.

However if you continue to write your life story and take pictures of you and your life and print them and then add those pictures to that paper, you can live for a long time after you die.

In fact 200 years from now your family and historians will treasure those stories and those pictures - never doubt this.

So, put pen to paper with your morning coffee - it takes 15 minutes and you are done. But many will want to read those "boring" stories that you wrote because times will have changed, people will have changed and YOU will be the person who lived, laughed, loved and then died - but you will also be the person who told their story and your family will love you for it.

So, sit down and do it - because each and every one of us wastes more time in a day than it takes to do this. Many of your family will be very grateful you did this. And in the end you might actually grow to enjoy doing this. Many do and my wife is one of them.

Best to all.

Logar said:
OK - here is a thought for the day that many ignore and their families then forget about them.

Go to the store and by some old fashioned note books. Every morning when you sit down for your coffee, put pen to paper and tell your life story. Add some pictures to the story.

Do not do it on computer unless you print it off - because software dies but paper lives for thousands of years.

When you die people will come to your funeral and then slowly but surely forget about you.

Your own family, two generations away will not only not remember you, they will not know what you looked like and they will let you fade away into permanent anonymity.

However if you continue to write your life story and take pictures of you and your life and print them and then add those pictures to that paper, you can live for a long time after you die.

In fact 200 years from now your family and historians will treasure those stories and those pictures - never doubt this.

So, put pen to paper with your morning coffee - it takes 15 minutes and you are done. But many will want to read those "boring" stories that you wrote because times will have changed, people will have changed and YOU will be the person who lived, laughed, loved and then died - but you will also be the person who told their story and your family will love you for it.

So, sit down and do it - because each and every one of us wastes more time in a day than it takes to do this. Many of your family will be very grateful you did this. And in the end you might actually grow to enjoy doing this. Many do and my wife is one of them.

Best to all.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :heart:

Yes!!! I wish more (all) of my descendants had done this!

My mother died just over a year ago at age 89 and in going through her belongings, some of which myself nor any of my siblings had NEVER seen! Some of these items were little notebooks like what you mention that were written by her, her mother, father & grandmother, and what's in them are little notes jotted down on randome days about little things such as what they spent at the local butcher shop and what they purchased in addition to who they ran into and chatted with at the fruit market and what they spent. We LOVE these little books! History right there.

greybeard said:

Thelma and Louise ❤ I love that movie!!
Some days I jokely say I may just ride myself off a cliff or to the nuthouse one. I wouldn't be hitting the breaks I'd be pedal to the medal the entire way. 😝😂 (that's a joke I'm not doing that. Every body has days like that)

alisonb said:

Not everyone!

I have had a wonderful life. I had a very rewarding career. My son hung the moon!!!

Forgive me if this comes across as bragging. But I never waited for Friday. I prefer fall and Spring. And I have been a very happy little guy my entire life.

Logar said:

Best to all.

Your right!
I have kept a journal in the back of my cattle ledger books for years about each years events .
Just about rainfall, droughts army-worms, unusual events.
The grandkids love reading that stuff.

Caustic Burno said:
Logar said:

Best to all.

Your right!
I have kept a journal in the back of my cattle ledger books for years about each years events .
Just about rainfall, droughts army-worms, unusual events.
The grandkids love reading that stuff.

Very good idea. Need to save all my notes from each year and put them together.

Friday has always been my favorite day of the week, doesn't matter what time of the year it is, its payroll for us, but TGIF.

This is a worthwhile thread. Thanks for starting it, Alisonb. What I want to contribute is some of my own philosophy that I have formulated over the years and just turning 69 this week, it is starting to be a lot of years, but not so many tears. Lol.

I believe most people see the truth. Despite what many say, truth is not always the same to everyone. It might be better to say it like this:

What many see with their eyes, they will not say with their lips.

Why don't they? Because it would be contrary to what they want to believe. If one observes an injustice, one may turn a blind eye to it because it is contrary to their values.

Same here kingfisher, was raised the same way, had to produce and produce for other families, glad I wasn't brain dead and had a government job, not much thinking, just take advantage.

Latest posts