Thoroughbred Compared To Quarter Horses or Paints.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Just_a_girl

Reaction score
Not sure how to ask this question......

Is there big riding difference between riding a TB and a QH or Paint?

We have 5 horses, QHs and Paints and I ride 3 out of the 5. I try to ride different horses becasue no 2 ride the same to me. I don't usually have a problem with balance, but I don't seem to flow well with the TB. He's a smooth rider, not a young horse but I find I can't keep in time with him.
I am used to riding horses with a little spirit that will turn on a dime, so I don't know (oops) what my problem is.

My experience is that a thoruobred (oops :oops: ) has a long stride that takes some getting used to. Slow down and don't worry about it, if you can ride and have some rhythm it will come to you. I've never had this type of problem so this is not from experience but I have ridden all three type and the quarter and paint seemed to be the same to me, but the first time I got on a thorobred :D and ran I thought the dang thiing was bucking or something because it fely real different to me.
Best of Luck to ya.

Although I've never ridden a thoroughbred, I would have to agree with J. Quarter horses and paints tend to be shorter bodied and shorter-strided than a thoroughbred. As they were intended to be racehorses, a thoroughbred has longer legs, thus a longer stride that would probably throw off the rythm(sp?) of someone used to a shorter-gaited horse. I don't know that it will be easy to adjust to while riding all three, but I'm sure it could probably be done. You may want to consider just riding the thoroughbred until you get a feel for his/her stride, then I would think it would be easier to adjust from horse to horse. Just my thoughts.

J":5rp44v8y said:
My experience is that a thoruobred (oops :oops: ) has a long stride that takes some getting used to. Slow down and don't worry about it, if you can ride and have some rhythm it will come to you. I've never had this type of problem so this is not from experience but I have ridden all three type and the quarter and paint seemed to be the same to me, but the first time I got on a thorobred :D and ran I thought the dang thiing was bucking or something because it fely real different to me.
Best of Luck to ya.

Thanks J.

I didn't think about his stride at all since the bald face paint I ride is also a very BIG horse. :oops: Only way I will figure it out is to just do it, and if I fall off then I'll get back on. It wouldn't be the first time I left the saddle unwillingly....of course. ;-) :lol:

I will do some arena exercises for exposure, lots of walking, and then later get him around some cattle.
I was told that he is a good around cattle, we shall see.
I won't work him too much, he still needs a little more
weight on him.....mainly want to get him into shape and rebuild lost muscle.

thanks msscamp, will keep that in mind. :D

J":1f8exvcr said:
Best of Luck to ya.

yepp J is right. my throughbred gelding Nick {daid' now :oops: } could leap from here to the moon with one leap! boyhowdy and I mean to tell you ol' Nick could haul some serious boody! He stumbled when we was going full blast down the road out west here and we had a wreck we fell together but I reacted fast enough to get both feet out of the stirrups and stick my legs out of the left hold onto the horn and get in mid air across the saddle {kinda}..... messed up my knee pretty bad.. it was a long ways down from the top of that ol' fart... anyway I am off base here.. yes throughbreds have long wide strides QH & other tend to have narrow shorter strides. Most race horses that you see are throughbreds because they can run FAST and stride a country MILE.
I love throughbreds... the studs tend to be a little cocky but that is with any studs but I have noticed the throughbred studs tend to be more agressive than anything. Nick was really gentle and broke to death.. miss him a great deal....
anyway i gotta get around I have been planted infront of this computer to long this afternoon... :cboy:

Wilson_Cattle_Company":6qkf6whw said:
J":6qkf6whw said:
Best of Luck to ya.

yepp J is right. my throughbred gelding Nick {daid' now :oops: } could leap from here to the moon with one leap! boyhowdy and I mean to tell you ol' Nick could haul some serious boody! He stumbled when we was going full blast down the road out west here and we had a wreck we fell together but I reacted fast enough to get both feet out of the stirrups and stick my legs out of the left hold onto the horn and get in mid air across the saddle {kinda}..... messed up my knee pretty bad.. it was a long ways down from the top of that ol' fart... anyway I am off base here.. yes throughbreds have long wide strides QH & other tend to have narrow shorter strides. Most race horses that you see are throughbreds because they can run FAST and stride a country MILE.
I love throughbreds... the studs tend to be a little cocky but that is with any studs but I have noticed the throughbred studs tend to be more agressive than anything. Nick was really gentle and broke to death.. miss him a great deal....
anyway i gotta get around I have been planted infront of this computer to long this afternoon... :cboy:

I'm going riding this weekend....:nod:...been thinking about it all week.

I have done a few stumbles, been lucky not to fall. I feel a stumble, I pull that head up. I'm not as young as I used to be, and it seems to take a little longer for body parts to stop hurting now. :lol: And I don't want to hurt my horse either. :(

Avery,

Was one of the pictures you posted not too long ago of Nick?

yes, Ill go ahead and post it again...

IM000301.jpg

I think he was coming down with "Mad Horse" in this picture... lol! ;-) Its kinda blurry... I was laughing so hard I couldn't hold the camera correctly..

Nick014.jpg

Wilson_Cattle_Company said:

I thought so.

Nice looking horse....

Have one horse take will turn his lip each time someone touches his lips.....it's funny.

thanks for posting it....again. :D

Just_a_girl":2q29p5lg said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":2q29p5lg said:

I thought so.

Nice looking horse....

Have one horse take will turn his lip each time someone touches his lips.....it's funny.

thanks for posting it....again. :D

Mornin' Howdy!

Yepp... Ain't no thing! glad you liked... Nick had his humors 'bout em' thats fur dang sure!

I use to team pen, and I rode a big butt QTR Horse Gelding. My son wanted to ride one night so i gave him the qtr horse and I rode my Arab/TW Gelding. It was like getting out of a dump truck and going to a sports car. my arab/ walker is so much more smooth and easy to work cattle. I like QTR Horses, but some are not very smooth. :cboy:

cowspider":38m8lt06 said:
I use to team pen, and I rode a big butt QTR Horse Gelding. My son wanted to ride one night so i gave him the qtr horse and I rode my Arab/TW Gelding. It was like getting out of a dump truck and going to a sports car. my arab/ walker is so much more smooth and easy to work cattle. I like QTR Horses, but some are not very smooth. :cboy:

Why did you stop?

I like team penning, and think the horses like it more.
We have some of those big butt horses too. :lol: I can't ride a small horse, my legs are too long....feels funny.
I finally found my balance on that big TB, but there are times that I lose it.....and it takes me a minute to get back in line. I think he rides smooth......riding him is very different than the other horses that I ride. I can't wait to see what he does around cattle, and I hope to take him to practice....soon.

Latest posts