ThornApple Trees

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
Do any of you have thornapple trees.... While they can grow to pretty good size, they are a nasty tree with thorns sharp as cactus needles, about an inch + long and home to the scourge of the earth... The Magpies...
Have any of you that do have them found a good use for them or a good way to eradicate them... I'll usually cut them down in one spring and burn them next to their stump the next spring..
They do provide some cover for the cows though as I see them under the branches during rain/snow storms..

It's a demonic little tree that usually only grows 10-15 feet tall. Ours grow 2" long thorns, about the thickness of a tooth pick. Single thorns on the branches, clusters of thorns on the trunk.

Best dealt with with a dozer...

You might want read up on a herbicide called Arsenal AC. Its foliar and soil active. Best sprayed in the fall just as the cherry leaves are about to drop. Takes about 16 ounces to the acre. I mix this with 2 quarts of Remedy or Garlon and the results are fantastic. But it works real slow, tree will not releaf the next season. I'd ask your county forester about it.

that is the tree they made Jesus' crown out of when they Crucified him. It is a horrid thing to have to deal with, good gloves if you can't use a dozer. and protective clothing, such as a padded jacket you don't use anymore, as after dealing with one of them you wont be able to use it anymore.

I got scratched by one of those thorns, when I was a kid and it turned septic, spent two days in the hospital, not nice. Arm was in a sling for the whole summer vacation from school.

We have plenty of Thorn apple up here. I push them out with a skid steer, works great. Thorn apple bushes are good for wildlife, the little red apples are edible and the flowers in the spring are like flowering crab.

Side note. Do you know what a lot of hardy apple trees are grafted to? Yup thorn apple root.

Latest posts