Thorn bushes/trees

Help Support CattleToday:

One problem with the quick visual thta the herbicide has killed the plant is that it may have just made it sick enough to affect the leaves but not gotten to the roots and killed them. That is a common problem with using a herbicide at a much heavier rate then is recommended. The plant comes back from the roots and everything was wasted

kerley":3sniddsd said:
Backhoe, whats a toothache tree?

Some now call it prickly ash. I have heard it referred to as tickle-tongue. Mostly I just know the bush and what it will do. If you get the leaves and chew them, they'll numb your mouth. The berries are better. Native Americans use it for medicinal purposes. Put the ball on your gum and it will numb it.

Here is a link: http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plan ... ?Code=M900

Generally I leave algerita bushes and toothache tree alone if they are along fence lines or in the underbrush. Lots of folks use these bushes for medicinal items and they don't hurt much on the farm.

Mesquites give me flat tires and the locusts have thorns growing on the thorn barbs. Those two are my biggest opponents.

txag":3kkqs0am said:
We've had really good results on huisache with Surmount. Locust is listed on the label as well:

http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/surmount.htm

Huisache....is that the name of this irrating plant? I call it locust, because of the thorns, but not sure that's really what it is.

I did some searching on that name, and did find some pictures that look like this, especially the leaves. but also some pictures don't look like it at all. Maybe there are a lot of variations of the plant.

The Remedy spray I did looks like it's going to get the small stuff at least, not sure on the bigger trees. I dose a few of them real good on the trunk, and I see some effect, but not much. The effect however, is at the very tip of the limbs…from spraying the trunk. Maybe a good sign? Anywhere I sprayed the foliage, be it bush or tree…that is now yellow. As dry as it's getting here…plants are probably already in stress.

jcummins":357zbq1b said:
txag":357zbq1b said:
We've had really good results on huisache with Surmount. Locust is listed on the label as well:

http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/surmount.htm

Huisache....is that the name of this irrating plant? I call it locust, because of the thorns, but not sure that's really what it is.

I did some searching on that name, and did find some pictures that look like this, especially the leaves. but also some pictures don't look like it at all. Maybe there are a lot of variations of the plant.

The Remedy spray I did looks like it's going to get the small stuff at least, not sure on the bigger trees. I dose a few of them real good on the trunk, and I see some effect, but not much. The effect however, is at the very tip of the limbs…from spraying the trunk. Maybe a good sign? Anywhere I sprayed the foliage, be it bush or tree…that is now yellow. As dry as it's getting here…plants are probably already in stress.

Here's a pic of a huisache:

100_0117.jpg

After Surmount:

100_0958.jpg

We've mostly used the Surmount on smaller stuff (under 6ft) & have had good results as long as there's a good application on all the leaves.

It's best to spray late summer (August) & fall.

Angus/Brangus":3ezyje9y said:
According to our friends here in Texas at Texas A&M AgriLife Extension, >>Mesquite and Huisache are controlled the same way<<.

NOT EXACTLY!

Using the Stem Spray Method - - - use this method for controlling young trees or older ones that have fewer basal stems by using a mix of 25% Remedy mixed with Diesel (diesel will function as a penetrant)

Using the Leaf Spray Method------use this method is the plants are bushy, have a lot of stems at ground level and are less than 8 feet tall. Begin in September after any late-summer growth has stopped; then continue through November or until soil temperature drops below 75 degrees. Treat with 1% Grazon P+D

While digging these things up might give you some relief, it's almost always temporary just due to the fact that the bud regeneration zone extends down 6" below the soil surface. The taproots on a Mesquite have been recorded as deep as 190 ft!

While the stem spray method is the same the foliar method is not. For one the timing is different for mesquite. It works best to spray it as soon as the foliage gets mature and remains healthy. The optimal time is June and July while August and September may give reasonable results provided adequate rainfall but kill percentage usually goes down. Second, Reclaim or Reclaim/Remedy tank mix will kill mesquite with a foliar spray. Grazon will just pi$$ it off. The reason, I suspect is the defoliating nature it has on mesquite. The longer those dried leaves stay hanging the better the kill or so it seems. If a mesquite (often those with drought stress or insect damage) defoliates quickly after spraying then you can expect resprouts when conditions are favorable the next growing season.

and a side note...
The Grazon/Remedy/Glyphosate concoction I use to clean out fence lines will not kill mesquite either. They brown off and appear dead but come back with a vengence sometimes in the same growing season. It's the ONLY thing I've found that this recipe won't kill.

The browning then regeneration is a common problem when people figure that if 1 cup is good 2 cups must be better. The herbicide will burn the foliage and the plant doesn;t have a chance to translocate it to the roots so it resprouts.

Angus/Brangus":j0tdoews said:
The extension DID say that the chances of success could go up even further even the the tree were cut off even to the ground and cut flat. Then apply the herbicide to the top.

Yup, cut stump with an application of diesel/remedy is pretty much sure death with one caveat for locust. Usually when I basal spray or cut stump a large locust there are a bunch of saplings that spring up the next growing season under the canopy out to a few feet. Whether they are suckering from surviving bits of the root system or sprouting from seed originally suppressed by the "parent" plant I don't know but they are far more aggravating than mesquite because of it.

Triclopyr 4 EC
Price: $174.99
Manufacturer: Vegetation Manager
For control of woody plants, annual and
perennial broadleaf weeds in forests,
grass pastures and rangeland. Also in
non-crop areas, industrial sites and non-irrigation
ditch banks.

Competitive Product: Garlon® 4, Remedy®
Markets: Vegetation Management, Forestry
2.5 Gallons

I think I asked here last year if someone was able to buy this generic version of Remedy, but no one else had heard of it.
I copied and pasted this from the internet.
I still haven't seen it locally. It is quite a bit cheaper than Remedy