Thomas Angus Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I was in town today and the Thomas sale was going on so we ran out and watched for about an hour. We missed the first half hour or so. I am thinking the highest dollar bulls sold during that time. There was 220 bulls in the catalog. There was 20 that were dropped for one reason or another. All of the bulls are AI sired. If you look at their webpage they list 17 bulls that they use. They started the sale with Lot #301. I started writing down sale prices with lot 350 and quit at 390 when we left. I am guessing what I watched sell averaged $4,500-$4,700. Interesting with all the SAV talk we have had here this is a big time Angus breeder and only 9 of the bulls had a SAV sire. Seven were by SAV Resource 1441 and two by SAV Renown 3439. They did not sell well. Of the 40 bull that I wrote selling price only 4 brought $3,000. Two of them were SAV sired. And three of the SAV sired bulls brought $3,500. The nine averaged $3,916. A Quaker Hill Firestom3PT1 son was the highest selling bull that I recorded at $6,000. I know there were higher priced bulls sell before I got a catalog and started recording.

Where I really messed up was Harrell Herefords sold yesterday along with Harrell/McKenzie stock horses. Free lunch. Then there is a "Cowboy Gathering" at the Geiser Grand Hotel in down town Baker City. Free buffet dinner. Then this morning you could look at the bulls at 8:00 and get in on free breakfast. Followed by another free lunch before the sale. Then the neighbor (his wife works for Thomas) said that after the sale there is a party at the house (I could have tagged along with him). Had I been paying attention I could have ate for free for two days.

Dave said:
I was in town today and the Thomas sale was going on so we ran out and watched for about an hour. We missed the first half hour or so. I am thinking the highest dollar bulls sold during that time. There was 220 bulls in the catalog. There was 20 that were dropped for one reason or another. All of the bulls are AI sired. If you look at their webpage they list 17 bulls that they use. They started the sale with Lot #301. I started writing down sale prices with lot 350 and quit at 390 when we left. I am guessing what I watched sell averaged $4,500-$4,700. Interesting with all the SAV talk we have had here this is a big time Angus breeder and only 9 of the bulls had a SAV sire. Seven were by SAV Resource 1441 and two by SAV Renown 3439. They did not sell well. Of the 40 bull that I wrote selling price only 4 brought $3,000. Two of them were SAV sired. And three of the SAV sired bulls brought $3,500. The nine averaged $3,916. A Quaker Hill Firestom3PT1 son was the highest selling bull that I recorded at $6,000. I know there were higher priced bulls sell before I got a catalog and started recording.

Would have been interesting if the 9 were from SAV President. I'm pretty certain the results would have been different.

Their sale average price was $3702 on 113 bulls.

That smokes the average sales price in Kentucky where the Stone Gate bull sale average was $2586, and they usually are higher.

That is almost a 43% difference!

I don't buy that Angus is doomed and prices are collapsing. We have a bull out of an Apex Angus sire and when I checked their sale today, I saw that they sold 108 bulls with an average of $4321. That is a 16% percent higher price than Thomas. Why? That's a pretty decent difference.

I've said many times on here that Kentucky cattle are in a "GREAT DEPRESSION" when you see a sale like Stone Gate and sale like Apex, how can you disagree? There is a 67% difference in prices obtained. Are the cattle 67% better? or are the producers buying from Apex doing 67% better? My hunch is the latter. Apex sold a non AI son of Apex Pay Dirt 178 for $10,500 to Bobcat Angus in Galata, MT. I doubt that if you are buying a non AI sire for $10k that your business is struggling.

It says on the Bobcat website that they run 600 registered Angus cow and 1000 head of commercial cattle. You don't see that much around Kentucky.

Also take a look at this sale. Best Angus in North Dakota

http://www.angusjournal.com/salebooks/best030419api/index.html?SR=T&API=T

Three SAV Resource 1441 sons sold for around $8k a piece. Two Resource open heifers sold for over $4k a piece. That's not too shabby in my book.

Just can't help myself, LOL!

I went to the Angus.org site and looked at some of the most recent sales and they DO have a lot of top bulls that are SAV, especially SAV Resource 1441. None of them sold cheap.

Not trying to argue with you, but by doing a little bit of homework on the Angus site, anyone can see that SAV sons are not having issues selling.

************* said:

I went to the Angus.org site and looked at some of the most recent sales and they DO have a lot of top bulls that are SAV, especially SAV Resource 1441. None of them sold cheap.

Not trying to argue with you, but by doing a little bit of homework on the Angus site, anyone can see that SAV sons are not having issues selling.
Don't you ever just get the urge to shut the he!! up? Look, dude, you're a minnow in a very,very small pond. SAV genetics can speak for themselves and smart breeders know where and where not to use them. Have you EVER run cattle anywhere but Kentucky? If not then please stop trying to tell everyone everywhere else how to do it.

cow pollinater said:
************* said:

Don't you ever just get the urge to shut the he!! up? Look, dude, you're a minnow in a very,very small pond. SAV genetics can speak for themselves and smart breeders know where and where not to use them. Have you EVER run cattle anywhere but Kentucky? If not then please stop trying to tell everyone everywhere else how to do it.
Still can't figure out his sales strategy.. He wants to sell to Kentuckians yet he attempts to turn every freaking thread into a bash KY cattle conversation.. Between that and his fanboy gushing about SAV.. Getting a bit stale.

Think that's a mistake? SAV, SAV, SAV! I JUST IMAGINE SOMEONE YELLING ALL THE TIME WHEN I READ HIS POSTS! 3 replys in a row and nobody's even talking to you. It's best just to ignore and hope it goes away but getting sickening flipping through page after page of the same old song to see anything new or interesting someone has to say.

Rydero said:
Think that's a mistake? SAV, SAV, SAV! I JUST IMAGINE SOMEONE YELLING ALL THE TIME WHEN I READ HIS POSTS! 3 replys in a row and nobody's even talking to you. It's best just to ignore and hope it goes away but getting sickening flipping through page after page of the same old song to see anything new or interesting someone has to say.

I have a nice little heifer out of SAV PRIORITY but I'm starting to not like her. No fault of her sweet little Emma! :lol2:

I want to know how he knew the sale average less than 3 hours after the sale was over. Heck Rob Thomas might not have known the average yet at that point. Of course he had the number of bulls sold wrong too.

************* said:
That smokes the average sales price in Kentucky where the Stone Gate bull sale average was $2586, and they usually are higher.

I don't buy that Angus is doomed and prices are collapsing. We have a bull out of an Apex Angus sire and when I checked their sale today, I saw that they sold 108 bulls with an average of $4321. That is a 16% percent higher price than Thomas. Why? That's a pretty decent difference.

I've said many times on here that Kentucky cattle are in a "GREAT DEPRESSION" when you see a sale like Stone Gate and sale like Apex, how can you disagree? There is a 67% difference in prices obtained. Are the cattle 67% better? or are the producers buying from Apex doing 67% better? My hunch is the latter. Apex sold a non AI son of Apex Pay Dirt 178 for $10,500 to Bobcat Angus in Galata, MT. I doubt that if you are buying a non AI sire for $10k that your business is struggling.

It says on the Bobcat website that they run 600 registered Angus cow and 1000 head of commercial cattle. You don't see that much around Kentucky.

Is it any wonder that Kentucky cattle appear to be in a slump....with you handling their marketing efforts on the internet?

I got to thinking about the wrong number and low price that Brook talked about. Thomas has about 1,000 cows here. They also started up a ranch in Wyoming and a sale there. So to get markets for all the bulls they are producing they had a sale in Burley, Idaho about 3 weeks ago. As far as I know this is their first sale there. Those were the results that Brook mentioned not the sale today. Holding a sale a long ways from home for the first time you can expect lower results even if you are a reputation outfit with good bulls. A sale in Burley Idaho in mid February is different than a sale today in Baker City Oregon.

According to the sale report posted at LiveAuctions.TV, Thomas Angus Ranch sale in Baker City, Oregon saw 112 fall yearling bulls sell for an average of $4,113.39 per head. 87 spring yearling bulls averaged $3,001.72 per head. High selling bull went for $8,000. Based on my recollection, prices were lower for this year's sale.

************* said:
Dave said:

Would have been interesting if the 9 were from SAV President. I'm pretty certain the results would have been different.

Their sale average price was $3702 on 113 bulls.

If I remember correctly President is a Charlo son. Interesting deal Charlo is an out west bull, but he isn't popular out here at all. Branded, you're not paying attention, what people are saying is......a down turn appears to be looming. Recently several dispersals have been done and there are a few more on the horizon.

Gators Rule said:
************* said:
Is it any wonder that Kentucky cattle appear to be in a slump....with you handling their marketing efforts on the internet?

I'm posting actual numbers, if that offends you then I don't know what to say.

Pretending things are great here in KY only prolongs the pain.

I'm not marketing all of the cattle in Kentucky, that's a job that's too overwhelming for me.

I was merely pointing out that just because one sale had SAV sons that brought average prices doesn't mean that was the case in many other operations.

I actually thought the Thomas sale was a success.

Again if factual sale results upset you, oh well....

What is really being missed here is that if I had paid closer attention I could have ate for free for two days. My neighbor who runs 900 mother cows was at the Thomas sale. He didn't look to buy a bull but he did get in on the free lunch.

For the record:
http://www.thomasangusranch.com/bull-sales.html
Their 3/4/19 Sale Prices:
http://www.liveauctions.tv/Bank/MyReportsSoldItems.aspx?AuctionID=7373
In addition to Harrell's generous hospitality, quality Hereford's are alive and well in the west:
http://www.liveauctions.tv/Bank/MyReportsSoldItems.aspx?AuctionID=7360
Reality check for Branded...when you've been fiscally dependent on commercial cattle for a minimum of 5 years and preferably 10, check back and let us know how that worked for you.