Thistle in Warm Season grass

Help Support CattleToday:

terra8186

Reaction score
I have warm season grasses that is starting to develop thistle patches. Is there a chemical out that just kills thistle. Cattle won't be grazing the area.

Or if there isn't a chemical. What would you do? .

3 choices. Cut or dig them out before the go to seed. It will take a couple of years but it will eliminate them over time. Spray with Grazon P+D before they flower. Still will take a copule of years but it's easier on the back then the first choice. Thirdd coice is just learn to like the pretty pink flowers.

dun":3pybxqe1 said:
3 choices. Cut or dig them out before the go to seed. It will take a couple of years but it will eliminate them over time. Spray with Grazon P+D before they flower. Still will take a copule of years but it's easier on the back then the first choice. Thirdd coice is just learn to like the pretty pink flowers.
If you do the first two, you will still need to learn the third. :p

<Thirdd coice is just learn to like the pretty pink flowers.> -- That's Funny

Does Grazen P-D kill the grass or wild flowers?

Edit: I looked at the Grazen brochure. It looks like it just kills broadleafs. I am assuming this means flowers and clover.

Thanks for information-This thistle is starting to take over.

terra8186":ygyj7p9t said:
<Thirdd coice is just learn to like the pretty pink flowers.> -- That's Funny

Does Grazen P-D kill the grass or wild flowers?

Edit: I looked at the Grazen brochure. It looks like it just kills broadleafs. I am assuming this means flowers and clover.

Thanks for information-This thistle is starting to take over.

It kills most everything except the grass

1982vett":rps99899 said:
dun":rps99899 said:

vett...I've about discided thistles are about like goat weeks...the seed must be able to lay there for 80 years and still come up when conditions are right.

TexasBred":1awq9vjs said:
1982vett":1awq9vjs said:
dun":1awq9vjs said:

vett...I've about discided thistles are about like goat weeks...the seed must be able to lay there for 80 years and still come up when conditions are right.
It was so dry this year we didn't have to many thistles and the goat weed are still about 2-4 inches tall if they are still alive...........I think I would rather have the rain and live with thistles and goatweed.

Darn milkweed is doing just fine. :mad:

Just posted this on another thistle thread, but if its just thistle a product called Curtail will get them to the root. I would hand spray rather than using a boom sprayer. Her the flowers are yellow or purple depending on the type of thistle.... I have never learned to like them.

Alan

I would use 2-4 d Amine at 1 qt/acre because it doesnt have the residual effect as Grazon does. By using Grazon you dont have the option of coming back next year and no tilling some legume mix into your pasture due to the residuals. If it is forever to be in Pasture then grazon is good -- if you want to keep your options open 2-4-d amine is your best choice ( and cheaper).

Latest posts