This years ai course

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We spent the last week out at the Deseret ranch in deer park,fl for this years ai and palpating course. This year I was fortunate enough to go down and help out and also get some more time getting dirty and staying in practice.
What an incredible operation they have going there. Each day started by the ranch workers bringing in mixed groups of cows and pairs. The last 2 days I got there early and was able to help them sort and get some first hand experience with how they run. With top notch alleys and gates and facilities, it was nothing to sort out 300 animals in 45 minutes. Mainly splitting out the calves from the cows, an splitting those calves into ones that hadn't been worked yet.
Onto the course and pen work(getting dirty).
This year, like last, there were 3 runs to work cows in. One hydraulic squeeze, one single ai dark box, and a double ai dark box. With 35 or so people in the class, 6 extension agents from the surrounding counties, and other breeding experts, things went remarkably smooth and fast. First the cows were palpated, and if open (and verified open) people got a chance to pass a rod. Compared to last year, a lot of people were successful.
The pen work was usually done by noon, followed by lunch which was pork chops, pulled pork, sloppy joes, and ribeyes depending on the day. With some great sides; pasta salad, salad, baked potato..etc.
Followings lunch was use the class work with some incredibly insightful expert lecturers. The oldest of which is one of the founders of palpating, ai, nutrition, etc. a modern day Temple Grandin.
He's 94 years old and still going in cows. Great man names Dr. Wornock out of Uf.
I can't say enough about the course, the extension agents, Deseret ranch, UF, and ol Doc. Next years course already has 12 people pre registered. Just to give you an idea of the popularity. In this years class were people from ga, nc, sc, fl, and even some from another Country. Even the previous governor of Ga was there.
All in all, a great program out on by some of the best instructors and experts in the region. If anyone gets the chance to get in on the class uf puts on...don't hesitate.

Sounds like a good/interesting time for sure!!! I have been ai'ing for a few years, but took a class this spring as a refresher, boy it never hurts to do that! There were a few things I improved from how I was doing them.

It certainly was informative and good times. Dead eye is planning on attending next year. That will be a real treat to watch him learn and grow in the experience

I was there last week and it was great I learned a lot and met some great people. I would recommend it to anyone that wants to learn how to palpate and A I .

Beauford

I envy you you rotten person you,,,, sounds like a very informative and good time...
I do get the chance to go to a local college to assist the instructor in helping with the class actually doing the palpating and breeding but do not get to do anything except instruct,,, but i still enjoy it,,,,, this years class was 19 of which 12 were women(girls) they worked harder and wanted to learn more than the guys :shock: One little lady might have been 4' 9" or so brought a small step stool to be able to get high enough to reach,,,,,,, she wanted to and got to do 3 head......gotta love desire like that

If anyone in the region has any interest in next years course pm me.subjects covered are:

Animal nutrition
Selection criteria (bull, replacement heifer etc)
Overall health, vaccination, and worming
Ai and ai syncing
Reproductive anatomy and reproductive health
Palpating and stages of growth of the fetus
Overall herd management

Beauford...practice practice practice. May not make perfect but you'll get better and better the more times youre in cows. Like you learned, each one is different.

Thanks hook we are penning cows this weekend and we are going to tail bleed like we normally do but this time I am going to palpate as well so I will be testing myself on about 40 head

Was dr. matt there for any of it? Never remember last name, always dr.matt. he is our vet here and is a great person. He teaches alot, time permitting. When one calf was attacked by pit bulls, he couldn't remember calf name once at computer so named him van goah, missing an ear.

Matt Walter. Yep. He's my vet too. For a young guy he has a wealth of knowledge. His wife runs the Biopryn lab and his dad joe walter is the brevard extension agent. The entire course is joes brain child and he organizes and sets it all up. Joes wife does the cooking and food prep for the course. One amazing family that is a great asset to this area