This Years 4-H steer updated

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here he is. In the end, we went with #91. One of the older 4-H members helped pick him out. I know that a lot of you liked #66 (my avatar), but we decided that he didn't have quite as much thickness as this guy.View attachment 1

Weigh in was Dec 7 and he weighed in at 770 lbs. A good weight I think, as the show isn't til the end of May.

How is the steer in your avatar (sp?) doing? I don't remember which ones had which number but he (or atleast that picture) looks awesome!

Is He Gentle, Halter Broke
Idea:
I have an equipment mover (Carry All) that we can hook to a truck or tractor.
I can tie a steer, over head, to it and be able to walk around him.
Tying him Over Head is Safer for Him and Me
I can X tie him to it and walk beside him to teach him to lead. (I weight 105#'s - this keeps a 350# to 1200# steer from walking off with me)
Steer%20on%20Carryall%20num2.jpg

Here I'm gentling a new steer by squirting him with water (this keeps me out of his range of hurting me) - in about 30 minutes. Tied to the carryAll I can brush him and walk all around him... I have run this wild steer in a squeese and halter it, backed up to the squeese, tied the steer over head to the Carry All and forced it to lead to this spot. A tractor is best/Safer for this.

I can also move to a dry spot when I need to.

grand chaser09":2epo0nip said:
not a bad calf. should do good with him. like his depth and lenght.

Thank you, I think he is pretty good. He is pretty quiet too, although our son is old enough now, that, that is not the most important thing we are looking for anymore. We will see how he does, but I think he has something decent to work with.

CPL":3sk04ftf said:
How is the steer in your avatar (sp?) doing? I don't remember which ones had which number but he (or atleast that picture) looks awesome!

The one in the avatar (#66) is now in a feedlot I am sure. We only kept the one steer for 4-H and in the end we decided on #91 rather than #66. He just didn't have quite enough thickness, although he did pose quite nicely for photographs. Better than any of the other steers we were looking at.

V_key, he is pretty quiet. Not halter broke yet, but that will happen in the next couple weeks. We pen them in the barn, and tie them for a few days, then start leading them too and from water. They learn quickly. We have a set of stocks for bathing, clipping and grooming.

Your setup looks like it works pretty good though.

randiliana":3i375yvj said:
grand chaser09":3i375yvj said:

Thank you, I think he is pretty good. He is pretty quiet too, although our son is old enough now, that, that is not the most important thing we are looking for anymore. We will see how he does, but I think he has something decent to work with.

he does have something to work with. i can see alot to come out of him. and i hope he does well with him!

grand chaser09":30ofhfwr said:
randiliana":30ofhfwr said:
grand chaser09":30ofhfwr said:

he does have something to work with. i can see alot to come out of him. and i hope he does well with him!
Thank you!!

Latest posts