This would be a bad day at the barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Sort of reminds me about being at a college rodeo at Montana State. It was indoors in the old coliseum. There was about 20 feet between the back of the chutes and a solid concrete wall. Somehow a bull got loose out back and came through a walk way into that area behind the chutes. No warning just all of a sudden there is a bull charging through the cowboys and riggin bags behind the chutes. People in the stands said it looked like waves on the ocean. The first wave was all the cowboys close to the chutes going up and over as the bull went through. The second wave was those who had to go back against the wall as the bull past and then up and over when he past. I was in the second wave.

BC":3mugximx said:
VZ-1.jpg

I took this picture on March 30, 2013. Cow jumped out where the cut gate is in ring. Man standing in the ring is 6 ft. tall and the fence is a foot over his head. She came in at a trot and cleared the fence. Never offered to fight. She just stood there until crowd got out. They shooed her out the side door.

That is a fancy barn they even got a recliner.

wacocowboy":ksrf0xif said:
BC":ksrf0xif said:
VZ-1.jpg

I took this picture on March 30, 2013. Cow jumped out where the cut gate is in ring. Man standing in the ring is 6 ft. tall and the fence is a foot over his head. She came in at a trot and cleared the fence. Never offered to fight. She just stood there until crowd got out. They shooed her out the side door.

That recliner was for Mr. James Powell. At one time, he was a tush hog when it came to buying yearlings. He sat in that spot from the time the barn was built in 1973 until he died in 2015. That recliner has been there since 2010. The barn sold in July, 2016 and the previous owner now occupies that chair

BC":ot1cvad6 said:
wacocowboy":ot1cvad6 said:
BC":ot1cvad6 said:
VZ-1.jpg

That recliner was for Mr. James Powell. At one time, he was a tush hog when it came to buying yearlings. He sat in that spot from the time the barn was built in 1973 until he died in 2015. That recliner has been there since 2010. The barn sold in July, 2016 and the previous owner now occupies that chair

Seen a cow in the stands before but never a recliner lol. It is pretty amazing how long some of these guys have been going to the sale.

Jogeephus":cw53kqzg said:
True Grit Farms":cw53kqzg said:
Jogeephus":cw53kqzg said:
:lol2: :lol2: Reminds me of the time a fella tried to unload two loads of water buffalo at our sale barn. Gotta hand it to the guys working the barn because after unloading just one they knew not to let another one in the barn. It was a nice change of pace for sure.

Probably the same bull that was at South Central trying to kill someone.

That was one crazy bull wasn't it? Why someone would try and pawn their troubles on another is beyond me.

People sell their problems at the sale barn all the time. If they didn't, more than a few would go out of business!

WalnutCrest":24m1ezff said:
People sell their problems at the sale barn all the time. If they didn't, more than a few would go out of business!

Maybe they need to find another business to be in if all their cattle are nuts. Crazy cattle make for poor beef. I've sold a few rank ones who were very frisky but I've never sent a killer to the sale barn. I couldn't live with myself if I sent a nut to the barn and it hurt or killed someone.

We get crazy ones regularly at the sale barn I work at - pretty sure most others do, too. We don't really mind, we can deal with them, but a heads up when you unload them is greatly appreciated. They usually go where there's an opening, so it's mostly a matter of opening gates in front of them, close gates behind them and stay out of their way. If they need to be pushed and can't be handled horseback, we have a skidsteer with a bucket that leaves about a 4-6" gap on either side as it goes down the alley - haven't seen one yet that didn't want to stay in front of that. Those kind don't go back to the country, they go to packers.

With crazy ones and pretty much all bigger bulls, we try to have both gates open so that they just pass directly through the ring. Not to say this same thing couldn't happen to us, just that we try hard not to let it. Knock on wood...

Latest posts