This will surely test

Help Support CattleToday:

I like messing with junk, but you got me beat........ :lol: Good luck and hope you get thousands of acres out of it. My dad brought in junk like that all time and had pretty good luck. I don't have his patients.

jltrent":2oj4un5c said:
I like messing with junk, but you got me beat........ :lol: Good luck and hope you get thousands of acres out of it. My dad brought in junk like that all time and had pretty good luck. I don't have his patients.

No patience coming from a man building 1,000,000 saws a year :lol2:

M-5":376rsa5g said:
after getting it home and evaluating everything I found a tag with the model # . Its only about 50 yrs old so I think the old girl still has some life left . I did some more research and found they made an all manual model and a hydraulic assist model. With even tho the cylinders look ok i'm sure once I put pressure to them the seal will let go they have been dry for a long time. I found a good picture library on them and Ive decided to just make it manual being that I don't have to travel very far to the fields I will be mowing. I cant see putting money in new cylinders for the wings. I may explore the tongue lift cylinders later. Today I will find the bolts for the blades and a tube for the main pto shaft . Im gonna try and keep my expenses below 600.00 total right now. here is a pick of a manual one .

I5600D.JPG

yes they came with a boat winch . there is a hook on each side to roll up the wing and bar to lock it . I dug a winch out of the scrap pile yesterday and it still has a cable on it to im GTG

I look forward to you getting it running and the outcome. I hope to pick up some usable junk at a sale this weekend.

skyhightree1":1vl19w8i said:
jltrent":1vl19w8i said:

Little junk is easier to fool with than big junk. I have been fencing all day. Those old cedar post are getting brickly, but the wire is still good, so replacing them with treated.

jltrent":3lf2y43v said:
skyhightree1":3lf2y43v said:
jltrent":3lf2y43v said:

Little junk is easier to fool with than big junk. Just completed a couple nice saws that are in great shape now a Stihl 036 and a Stihl MS390 . I have been fencing all day. Those old cedar post are getting brickly, but the wire is still good, so replacing them with treated.

Yes , It sometimes can be a futile experiment. I Get a lot of satisfaction searching for parts and thinking of ways to make it work, plus I like old technology .

True Grit Farms":1lngugb6 said:
Can I borrow it? Looks like it cuts great.
I've heard that the older shredder blades used to be a lot harder and would hold an edge and cut much nicer. The newer ones are much softer so they bend instead of breaking and flying off, but don't hold an edge. At least that's what an older friend of mine told me.

It's got bas-tard blades on it. None match but they cut . Now that I know gear boxes are good I will put a little in it . I have 300 in mower 100 in used tires and another 100 in bolts shims and fittings.

M-5":1mg1hsdx said:
It's got bas-tard blades on it. None match but they cut . Now that I know gear boxes are good I will put a little in it . I have 300 in mower 100 in used tires and another 100 in bolts shims and fittings.

You got a deal. Nice find. That is worth putting money in.

I wouldn't be throwing out those hydraulic cylinders, I doubt that the seals would be totally dry, I like the way they are inverted so the $hit falls away from the wiper seals and the shaft still looks shiny. Even if you have put new seals in they don't cost much if you do it yourself.

Ken

I have a couple of single action heavy duty cylinders that I took off a combine a few years backbI plan on using . The 2 front lift cylinders work , I took Emory cloth to them and shined them up good.

snoopdog":1okf4yo1 said:
Looks like you done good.

yes I did do good but now i know I got a good frame i will start fixing things and will soon have more in it than its worth but it should last my lifetime . I pulled a gear box apart yesterday to remove the shaft because some DA ground the 6 spline shaft down to square .Not a single tooth missing on the gears and bearings are near perfect . and only a slight seal leak on the input shaft . It was also 1/2 full of corn head grease so that is why i figure it all came apart so easy and everything looked good.

M-5":kvp02mw1 said:
snoopdog":kvp02mw1 said:

yes I did do good but now i know I got a good frame i will start fixing things and will soon have more in it than its worth but it should last my lifetime . I pulled a gear box apart yesterday to remove the shaft because some DA ground the 6 spline shaft down to square .Not a single tooth missing on the gears and bearings are near perfect . and only a slight seal leak on the input shaft . It was also 1/2 full of corn head grease so that is why i figure it all came apart so easy and everything looked good.

I would put a good coat of paint on it and everybody will think you got a new one and be talking bout you.

jltrent":pj3s0vt3 said:
M-5":pj3s0vt3 said:
snoopdog":pj3s0vt3 said:

I would put a good coat of paint on it and everybody will think you got a new one and be talking bout you.

I don't want folks to think I got money and spent a thousand dollars on a mower

Im still tinkering with it. I found some blades online that would work but were about 60 bucks a piece with freight. This one had a 2 piece blade. The blade carrier bolts to the hub and then the double sided blade bolts to the carrier. TS carries the cutter blade for this mower but they do not carry the carrier so I made an executive decision to modify the design based on the original. JD had a flat blade clock/counter clock double edge blade that fits on one of their mowers they are 24 " 22" hole to hole , I made the carrier out of some old blades and put the holes 6" hole to hole so overall the blades are 28 " that give me about 1 1/2 clearance and overlap. I also built a hole jig for my torch , I don't know how i ever got by without of those. I had to order the other 4 blades on line but found a place with fee shipping and the blades were 47.00 each . I installed them yesterday and the vibrations are gone and it runs smooth now. Total invested right at 700.00 so far.
I am still looking for some used PTO shafts so i can fix the hyd fold but as of right now i can make do with out it.

Top right is free hand hole. Bottom left is with circle cutter.

This is the jig I made after looking at the circle wiz online and no one having it in stock. I have 8 bucks in parts to make it.

Latest posts