This Will Make You Have A Bad Day

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243":qu3au1e5 said:
I stated earlier that we had a brain stem sample taken and should get a result in about a week. The backhoe is just the way we bury dead animals, I've found it to be a tad bit easier than a shovel.

Wasn't the trackhoe working near by?

It's my neighbors, it's usually available most anytime. He's a good friend, pretty handy to have it close by.

Ol' 243":2bkchs0t said:
I stated earlier that we had a brain stem sample taken and should get a result in about a week. The backhoe is just the way we bury dead animals, I've found it to be a tad bit easier than a shovel.

Do you cut the animal open and look for hardware when you do a brain stem sample? I found a piece of cardboard in a dead calfs throat before. Unexpected deaths need to be figured out.

Bigfoot":74gmbuty said:
Ol' 243":74gmbuty said:

243 I think BF is referring to backhoe working near by and disturbing the soil

M-5":1rrdae2k said:
Bigfoot":1rrdae2k said:
Ol' 243":1rrdae2k said:

243 I think BF is referring to backhoe working near by and disturbing the soil

Gotcha . . . . . . .I have been spreading out some left over piles of dirt from when the timber was cut on my place several years ago. They are just hedge rows of dirt where the brush was piled up.

Just throwing out an observation... How much lightening did you guys have down there yesterday? Had some cattle last year that looked just like that due to being struck. Very sorry about your luck!!

Bleeding out of the mouth but not the nose by the looks of pic and foaming(not pink but white) out of nose...is this what I'm seeing Ol ' 243??? No blood out of nose?

Not going to find pneumonia, peritonitis, liver abcesses, urinary tract problems, or hardware in the brainstem... didn't they cut the entire bull open?

alisonb":2rsw47lp said:
Bleeding out of the mouth but not the nose by the looks of pic and foaming(not pink but white) out of nose...is this what I'm seeing Ol ' 243??? No blood out of nose?

Yes sir, all correct.

Ol' 243":y9h6uzhv said:
I noticed he was a little slow the last couple of days, but never down or not eating.
Any staggering perhaps? Did it look like there was a lot of leg thrashing where he died? Seems like he went into a coma. Taking the time of year into consideration could it be possible that he had Grass Tetany?

milkmaid":9a88liod said:
Not going to find pneumonia, peritonitis, liver abcesses, urinary tract problems, or hardware in the brainstem... didn't they cut the entire bull open?

My thoughts exactly.....

But if you think about it... Animal seemed like it was in good condition, if it was something like pneumonia, peritonitis, liver abscesses, urinary tract problems or hardware the animal would have had shown some symptoms such as diarrhea, weight loss, heavy breathing, coughing etc. The OP just says that bull was a little slow for a couple of days.

Hope he gets to the bottom of it...

Latest posts