This weeks count

Help Support CattleToday:

Horticattleman

Reaction score
So far during the course of this week I have hired 6 people and had one show up....2 hours late. It appauls me how hard it is to find labor around here. Don't get me wrong I don't seek out the brightest markers in the color box, but come on, a little responsibility please. We are a landscape & irrigation firm and can't find anybody willing to work. Or at least work for anything decent. I mean these kids want $12-15 per hour with no experience no transportation nothing. And when they show up they want a front on their check and a raise the first week. I had one guy who was running late for his first day of work ask me for a raise on the phone before he even showed up. I just wish he would have been standing in front of me at the time. Sorry just riding my horse.

do you live near here? might have been my 18 year old nephew

he actually asked for a raise from his grandfather because he needed the money but didn't want to work as many hours as he had been

some of this generation are pretty scary - of a mind that the gravy train is rolling and they are aboard

About 4 years ago I had completely given up. I had gone through many who I was paying a decent wage, but couldn't make any money off of their labor.

We had a summer intern working with us. He was wanting to moonlight for all the nickels he could make. I reluctantly gave him a try. I put him on a hydraulic rock chopper and had him breaking stone into brick like pieces. i.e. "chopped stone." I was paying him $25 a ton to chop it and stack it on pallets. That boy got to where he could chop a ton an hour. Then he got reluctant to take his pay. Couldn't believe it. I told him I wished his check was twice as big because that would have meant twice as many pallets of stone to sell.

You come across these kids from time to time. It gives you hope for the future when you meet some of them. They are really out there. Maybe few and far between but there are some really good kids out there.

When you get a good employee, you'd better hang on to him/her.

I'm so glad to read what you wrote, BHB. I've run across those kids from time to time...and it gives me some renewed confidence in this world.

Alice

backhoeboogie":2cog6lq4 said:
About 4 years ago I had completely given up. I had gone through many who I was paying a decent wage, but couldn't make any money off of their labor.

We had a summer intern working with us. He was wanting to moonlight for all the nickels he could make. I reluctantly gave him a try. I put him on a hydraulic rock chopper and had him breaking stone into brick like pieces. i.e. "chopped stone." I was paying him $25 a ton to chop it and stack it on pallets. That boy got to where he could chop a ton an hour. Then he got reluctant to take his pay. Couldn't believe it. I told him I wished his check was twice as big because that would have meant twice as many pallets of stone to sell.

You come across these kids from time to time. It gives you hope for the future when you meet some of them. They are really out there. Maybe few and far between but there are some really good kids out there.

When you get a good employee, you'd better hang on to him/her.
That's the power of incentives.

you are right, there are a few good young kids out there. But it is by no means just young people. These plugs are from all ages and races. Today I had a couple guys finished a job and did a great job. The last two jobs they did were really screwed up and I threatened firing them. After I complemented them they then asked if they could get a bonus for doing it right! I then proceeded to tell them about their bonus. It's called a PAYCHECK! If you do it right consistently then you get a bonus.

Alice":pe457ep2 said:
I'm so glad to read what you wrote, BHB. I've run across those kids from time to time...and it gives me some renewed confidence in this world.

Alice

Meth is taking the youth Alice. It is a cancer. They have too much pressure from everything, including their peers. These days it takes a good leader with vision to see beyond all the setbacks.

When we were kids and got in a fight in gym class, the coach would go get the boxing gloves. 5 minutes with those heavy things on your hand beating each other was enough. You didn't want to do that again. Now days they call the police and give the kids assault charges.

We created this monster, in a round about way. It is amazing.

Horticattleman":z1vwz09p said:
So far during the course of this week I have hired 6 people and had one show up....2 hours late. It appauls me how hard it is to find labor around here. Don't get me wrong I don't seek out the brightest markers in the color box, but come on, a little responsibility please. We are a landscape & irrigation firm and can't find anybody willing to work. Or at least work for anything decent. I mean these kids want $12-15 per hour with no experience no transportation nothing. And when they show up they want a front on their check and a raise the first week. I had one guy who was running late for his first day of work ask me for a raise on the phone before he even showed up. I just wish he would have been standing in front of me at the time. Sorry just riding my horse.

Go to the local hispanic pickup. They will be there.

Would love to, but we can't find em. We are only 100 miles from New Orleans and there are so many people griping to give the jobs to Americans that you can't find em here. I would love to give the jobs to Americans, just show em to me.

Horticattleman":1lt4h1qa said:
I would love to give the jobs to Americans, just show em to me.

Didn't say you wouldn't. Seems like your post is a statement of affairs that is common.

What do your kids do for a living?

Get rid of welfare and you will have labor and you won't have a problem with illegal aliens. Have tort reform, then you can fire the sorry SOB and not have to worry about being sued for violating his rights to be sorry.

Jogeephus":25alnzed said:
Get rid of welfare and you will have labor and you won't have a problem with illegal aliens. Have tort reform, then you can fire the sorry SOB and not have to worry about being sued for violating his rights to be sorry.
Lets do just that. Just tell us how and stay within the law and we will get the ball rolling.

Horticattleman":qjq645bu said:
Wewild
What do your kids do for a living?

Weeeelllll one's the Pledge leader for her kindergarten class and the other just made 6 months today.

Relevance???

I hope when they are grown they turn out like you want them too.

You still got a ways to go before you will know.

They could turn out like the first post you made. I got two and worry about that.

.....It's the product of a generation being disciplined with "time out" in a corner instead of a good ole' fashioned a$$ whippin.....and all this BS of emotions and everyones a winner no matter how hard you try.......my solution to today's young generation:

- pull your damn pants up and wear a belt
-turn that damn cap around
-understand that "yo" is not a word....
..and that size 10 that just kicked you in the a$$...ther's more where that came from in the real world if you don't get your $hit together.....
..........AND THAT PLAYSTATION IS A PRIVILEDGE NOT A RIGHT!

la4angus":21zpop6n said:
Jogeephus":21zpop6n said:
Lets do just that. Just tell us how and stay within the law and we will get the ball rolling.

We all need to put pressure on our congressmen. Squeeky wheel will get the greese so to speak. This is getting out of hand and we are creating a monster. The Bible says, "for even when I was with you, those who did not work did not eat".

Jogeephus":131e85b5 said:
la4angus":131e85b5 said:
Jogeephus":131e85b5 said:

We all need to put pressure on our congressmen. Squeeky wheel will get the greese so to speak. This is getting out of hand and we are creating a monster. The Bible says, "for even when I was with you, those who did not work did not eat".

I made a post the other day about this very subject and everyone jumped on me about the "letter" being phony but you all missed the point. A lot of people have figured out a way to beat the system and when that number of people reach a majority we're in deep kimshee!

Not everybody can start at the top! And it's OK to be a mechanic, or a plumber, or landscape technician or a farmer or a rancher. We need to educate our kids with not only facts and figures but also what life is all about and what values are REALLY important to them.

If its any consulation, there are a few young folks out there whose parents have done a good job instilling those values. They wear their caps the right way, say yes sir and no sir, work hard and long and don't do drugs! They are the ones who need to be cherished and nurtured - and paid!

You can start with your local school board and move on to the court rooms. Ass whipping is not a bad thing as some liberal tree huggers would have people think. Never left any pemanent scars on me - or maybe it did. I never did drugs and was pretty glad to get any job and felt like I needed to give an honest days work for an honest days pay. If that's what it takes to get these kids to wake up then, as far as I concerned, it's a good thing.

OK, off the soap box, take a few deep breaths, ET.

You know when I was younger, I resented my father because he put the leather to my backside, and he made me stack hay, and made me work for everything. I was jealous because alot of my friends were 'timeout kids' and got an allowance and all that good stuff and anything they wanted. Now I look back and I can't even think of enough words to thank him for all of that. He (and the Marine Corps) helped make me who I am. Now I am a very successful business man owning several businesses, have a great home, kids, etc., and I'm not yet 30. I now look in on all my 'timeout kid' friends and they are so far behind me it is pathetic. Thanks dad! [/code]

My Son turned 18 last Sunday and he was a handful when he was younger, now he has found his nich in life and has started an apprenticeship, an is a different boy, I asked him why he gets up on first call now and goes to bed at a reasonable time, and his answer was 'Now I have something to get up for' and I felt proud and sad all at once, as school was not something to get up for, why do they make it so boring in some schools for the kids, he put it down to discipline, not enough of it at school. When he started at the Garage he works in two other boys started the same day they are not there now as his boss said, they wore their pants to low and hat back to front and had no manners. He praised my Boy for good manners and wearing his trousers in the correct position around his waist, with a belt to keep them there. So there is hope for all these kids if they only but took it.

Latest posts