This weed/vine laughs at regular strength glyphosate.

Help Support CattleToday:

Walking W

Reaction score
I would appreciate any help identifying this weed/vine that is invading my pasture, garden, chicken yard and my lawn.
It really can bog down the brush hog on my little tractor.
It doesn't respond to regular strength glyphosate.
A recent visitor from the Austin area said it was there, too but didn't know what it was either.
It may not help but the second picture is of the little purple flowers it grows before making the seed pods.
20210420_172824.jpg20210420_172933.jpg

Identify the problem and read the label of what your using to see if it is listed on the label.

Vetch is the first thing that comes to mind looking at your pictures,

Walking W. A few questions before I attempt to identify the plant in question. You indicated purple flowers, some darker or lighter in color
to almost white?
Are the blossoms polinated by bumble and leaf cutter bees? I say this as honey bees are more attracted to yelows and whites.
Once a seed pod has set does the pod resemble a small to tiny brown stick? Place some of mature (brown) seed pods in the palm of one hand
and using the thumb on your other hand rub the seed out of the pods. Having done this is the seed a small dark brown elongated seed?
Taking no more than 2 or 3 seeds and put them between your front teeth and break them up. (You will want to keep the seed to the front
of your mouth!!) If it has a terrible bitter quinine taste I would say without further testing the plant is Emerald Crown Vetch or possibly
Penngift Crown Vetch (variations of the same plant) If on the chance it is Emerald Crown Vetch you may want to check on the price of the
seed. Last I knew it was in the $10-15 per lb range. Good EC vetch can run 2-4 hundred lbs to the acre.

Crown Vetch sets nitrogen and uses a lot of phosphate. Thus if you liberally apply nitrogen it will tend to diminish as grass and forbs will
begin to take over. I have no idea of what grows in Texas although I did spend a whole day there one time.
If it is EC vetch once the cows start eating it you will wish you had more for as I understand it has a higher TDN content than alfalfa.
I am going strictly from the photos you enclosed above and my personal experience with Emerald. Hope this helps. LVR

Looks like common vetch to me. Always love to see the stuff on my place bc I never have any hairy vetch!

Attachments

• 1DEDF75B-5D74-4937-BE16-DDEB8125B3B0.png
    1DEDF75B-5D74-4937-BE16-DDEB8125B3B0.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
Thank you everyone for your input. Yes, it does look like a vetch of some type.
I did download the Plantnet app. Very handy.
I will definitely leave this alone in my pastures. It will have to go in my garden area.
Now that I know what it is, control will be no problem.
Thank you again everyone. This forum is great!

Latest posts