This one's for Dun- from Greenwillow

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
photo11.jpg
[/img]

Having seen the thick cattle that Dun has, with the capacity and depth of body they have, I thought I would see if he thinks the heifer on the left would fit in his herd. She is about 7 or 7 1/2 months pregnant in the picture. I am anxiously awaiting her calf out of the big old bull that I had last year that stirred up all the controversy because he had no "mane."

greenwillowherefords":1ctfbrx2 said:
Having seen the thick cattle that Dun has, with the capacity and depth of body they have, I thought I would see if he thinks the heifer on the left would fit in his herd. She is about 7 or 7 1/2 months pregnant in the picture. I am anxiously awaiting her calf out of the big old bull that I had last year that stirred up all the controversy because he had no "mane."

Since the calf is primarily carried on the right and the rumen is displaced some to the left bu only slightly, with those caveats in mind, you bet she would fit. Those are exactly the type of cows/heifers that work well for us. Can't really tell about the hooks and pins from the picture, but I like her.

dun

dun":3fzfs0kq said:
greenwillowherefords":3fzfs0kq said:

Since the calf is primarily carried on the right and the rumen is displaced some to the left bu only slightly, with those caveats in mind, you bet she would fit. Those are exactly the type of cows/heifers that work well for us. Can't really tell about the hooks and pins from the picture, but I like her.

dun

Thanks. She is also extremely easy-fleshing. She looks like that on prairie hay and about 1.5-2 pounds per day of 20% 3/8" cubes.

greenwillowherefords":281mrryb said:
dun":281mrryb said:
greenwillowherefords":281mrryb said:

dun

I didn't pay any attetntion to the body condition, I was just looking at the width and depth

dun

Thanks. She is also extremely easy-fleshing. She looks like that on prairie hay and about 1.5-2 pounds per day of 20% 3/8" cubes.

I pulled this thread up in response to the one about big hindquarters, and for Kansas to see another shot of my bull, who is in the middle.

mtnman":3fllqfvb said:
Are those bad wheels gonna shorten her lifetime?

mtnman

First of all, thanks to those who like them.

Mtnman, don't read too much into one picture.

Somdeday I'm going to try to get a picture on the boards of the feet of my cattle up close and see if you guys approve of their condition as much as I do.

Nice set of Hereford cows. Would cross well with Brangus, Santa Gertrudis or Brahmans to make a super set of heifers for Texas conditions.

Those are some nice looking animals, especially the one on the far left. What a really thick animal. The others are nice looking to, but I really like the one all the way to the left the best. She looks like a very good pigmented animal and the others do to. I like the darker hided animals than the real yellow looking herefords. Well, the one on the left ought to sire a really good calf that is really thick and great pigment. keep up the good work and breed her to really thick bulls and you will get great results. Goes for the rest of your heifers. :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":2ek7vueb said:
Those are some nice looking animals, especially the one on the far left. What a really thick animal. The others are nice looking to, but I really like the one all the way to the left the best. She looks like a very good pigmented animal and the others do to. I like the darker hided animals than the real yellow looking herefords. Well, the one on the left ought to sire a really good calf that is really thick and great pigment. keep up the good work and breed her to really thick bulls and you will get great results. Goes for the rest of your heifers. :cboy:

That's what you get when you breed a Hazlett/Turner Ranch bred bull to a cow with Lawman and Graystone bloodlines.

If you could see a rear or front shot of the cow on the right, you would see that she is exceptionally thick as well, with tremendous capacity. She has complete pigment around each eye, about an eighth inch wide completely around both eyes. That is how I like it, I don't care much for patch or goggle eyes.

Finally got the papers on my new bull today. His growth EPDs exceed those of both his parents. His individual performance was 113% WW. (740# @188) In the top side of his pedigree are MSU WNH Felton 5F, MSU Victoria 9F=MSU MF Hudson 19H; MSU Optimum ZO3, GK Queen Ten 782R(who is also in the pedigree of a top Remitall bull)=Boyd 782R Queen 701; 701X19H= HVH Hudson 701 37K, the sire of the bull, who is FGR Nevin Hudson N4. His dam is FGR Gayla Victoria G26, sired by JTJ Buckshot 7B X FGR Anne Butler A24. 7B is out of JJJ Stylish Lady 445M 8W and sired by SSF Buckeye. A24 was sired by DR P183 Pawnee 815W, and out of FGR Lady LU Domes 21.

N4 has a WW EPD 38, YW 56. His sire has carcass EPDs of Fat 0.00, Ribeye 0.16, and IMF 0.15.

greenwillowherefords":3ewh6j53 said:
I'm pulling this thread up for Crowder Farms who couldn't find it. Thanks for the interest.

Thanks again. I'd be happy to own them. On that first pic, the one on the left needs a wide load placard! ;-)