This okay? Electric Fence?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
You will have to click pictures to see. I linked 2 wires with a piece of wire in the middle. I did this in one spot going down hill, in between T post, where there is high traffic in pigs and deer. Will this hold or should I just leave this kinda stuff off the electric fence. Also will the ratchet tighteners conduct electricity from wire to wire or do I need to add a loop? A have not set up a charger year. Still laying wire and clearing brush.
Thanks.

This is the ravine I am fencing. I was just thinking it would sag too much from the weight of the ratchet and the traffic of pigs and deer. So not necassary?

Post will be what keeps it from sagging.
Put ratchets at the post too, not far away.
I like daisys better than ratchets too.
I'm trying to use up all my ratchets on permanent fence and not buy anymore of them.

jedstivers":3d6k5ifl said:
Post will be what keeps it from sagging.
Put ratchets at the post too, not far away.
I like daisys better than ratchets too.
I'm trying to use up all my ratchets on permanent fence and not buy anymore of them.
First electric fence. Maybe stupid question but the ratchets do carry good electricty current between wires?

M-5":6ltfz0w1 said:
Yes, all of my ratchets are hot
Thanks, I figured so but just wanted to make sure. Almost 1/2 mile of electric fence is turning into a project with clearing the brush and dead tree's from the big drought 7-8 years ago.

crimp sleeves are you friends.

why even put up the t-posts.. looks like those trees would act as better posts :)

ddd75":oxizafkq said:

why even put up the t-posts.. looks like those trees would act as better posts :)
I went back and looked closer at the pics.
Use crimp, use round wool or metal post at the stress areas. Use the trees anywhere you can but screw a board to them first then the insulator, use a diffrent insulator, I use the green one the wire angles into, use the wood/fiber composit post from Kencove, they are insulated themselves.
If you have deer and hog problems this will stop a lot of it.
If your not sure what I'm talking about I'll post some links to the products.

ddd75":202owm3p said:

It's hard to zoom in on those pictures but on four of those trees I put insulators and ran those wires on the trees. Before I ran The Wire I cut down 5 dead trees the rest of them I can't tell if they're alive or not being that there's no leaves on them at the moment. I can always put them on the trees later.

jedstivers said:
Only stupid questions are the ones not ask.

Jed has a good suggestion with boards on the trees.Living trees will grow around the insulator and cause a short.

What you have is a "jumper" wire.Only need to connect to one wire to heat both.Be sure to put in a good ground for the fencer.The quality of your fence depends on it.

The way I used the trees are the same way I used this electric pole. Do I just use a T post slammer to put in the grounding rods? Dont want to bend them.

BK9954":1oxahxxg said:
The way I used the trees are the same way I used this electric pole. Do I just use a T post slammer to put in the grounding rods? Dont want to bend them.

yes.. or a mini jackhammer works well.

I attach my insulators to the highline pole. Prol not supposed to but been doing it for years.
On that pole I'd have been on the backside too. That way the wire pulls to the post.
On your ground rods it only takes a jug of water. Pour some where your going to put it in then start "jugging" the rod in and out. As you get a hole started pore more water in. Can slip a whole rod in this way.

The gap between those wires would look like a gate to some cows. Once their head goes through, the shock may or may not back them out.

For wildlife, make the fence as visible as possible. Only a few of them will be around it enough to get used to where it is like the cows do. If they can't see it they'll run into it, and drag it halfway across the county when they panic. Sometimes they'd run into it if it was covered in strobe lights, but anything you do will help.

if the cows are used to electric you may only need one strand i had 40 acre rented once only had one strand an sucker rod post ,trees an t post at corners an bottom of the hill so it didnt pull out but 1 strand 30 to 36 inches shold be enough
for your hog problem if you going to put two or three wire space no more than 9 or 10 inch below the 30 to 36 inch this will let most deer jump over if they dont make it yes you will have go half way across the county to find it ! or if grass grows up over it an someone come in to bushog it well youl find that mess where ever they stop most time when they here the tractor pulling hard !or may be they saw insulators flying .that will teach them to they need to tell me yes the ground is mine agian and then hire someone to bushog it because there selling it !
:lol: :lol: :lol:
a pile of eletric wire is a funny sight !in short pieces

jkwilson":2butxi03 said:
The gap between those wires would look like a gate to some cows. Once their head goes through, the shock may or may not back them out.

For wildlife, make the fence as visible as possible. Only a few of them will be around it enough to get used to where it is like the cows do. If they can't see it they'll run into it, and drag it halfway across the county when they panic. Sometimes they'd run into it if it was covered in strobe lights, but anything you do will help.
Is the gap too wide? I put the lower wire for the calves. Should I raise the bottom wire?

BK9954":1v93taf3 said:
jkwilson":1v93taf3 said:

Is the gap too wide? I put the lower wire for the calves. Should I raise the bottom wire?

I always want a wire where their nose will be. For cows and calves, I generally string one just below my knee cap and one just about where my fingers end when my arm is hanging at my side. That way if the calf is head up walking the top wire gets them in the face or chest, and if they have their head down checking it out the bottom one gets them in the nose.

I can stop my cows for a good while by stretching a string and painting a line on the ground with marking paint. Once they look at it I can take the string down and the painted line holds them back.

jkwilson":1ps6beb8 said:
BK9954":1ps6beb8 said:
jkwilson":1ps6beb8 said:

I always want a wire where their nose will be. For cows and calves, I generally string one just below my knee cap and one just about where my fingers end when my arm is hanging at my side. That way if the calf is head up walking the top wire gets them in the face or chest, and if they have their head down checking it out the bottom one gets them in the nose.

I can stop my cows for a good while by stretching a string and painting a line on the ground with marking paint. Once they look at it I can take the string down and the painted line holds them back.
Yea I was thinking my top wire was a little too high. Its closer to 4 foot. I am going to lower it. I was just thinking about how tall my bull is but he's the only one that's up that high. The rest of the cows or shorter than he is.

Latest posts