This never happened before

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I got home from town today, and my 3 dogs were carrying on, I got out and there they are right by the side of the barn, in our yard, fighting with a coyote. I've seen coyotes in the hay fields, away from the house, but have never had one come into the yard. I think it was injured, or sick. After awhile it laid down, wasn't dead, then tried to get up, and the dogs went after it again. Later it got shot.

GMN

If your dogs don't have their rabies shots then they will be the next ones needing to be shot. I decided to go with beef cattle, just couldn't justify the dairy route for me, hope it's going okay for you.

I got a pair of them coming around nearly every morning around 7 or 8AM. Gonna be two less soon as I get a good chance at em. One time last winter, a coyote came up into the pasture to the west of my house, and my black lab was out at the time. She met that one nose to nose, and acted like she was going to play with it. Coyote finally ran off, and I called my lab so she wouldnt chase it clear into the woods. Reason I didnt kill it was because I was on the tractor putting out hay at the time. No gun.

well I have certainly had coyotes in my yard --they love chickens --For breakfast---I've shot about 3 --but oh--- I hate getting out of bed at 5.30 I run about 40 sheep --they started staying with the cows in the pasture --never lost one this year --but judgeing by how the cows charge my dogs -I think there takeing care of the coyotes

carl

that yote was sick.thats the only reason he was up colse to the buildings.hope your dogs are vacced for rabies.its a goodthing yall killed him.

Before I sold the 58 acre pasture in front of the house, it wasn't THAT unusual at night for 4 or 5 of the things to come up to the dogs' pens yapping and snarling (the dogs going berserk in response). Them and the dogs used to howl back and forth pretty regularly. Coyotes in the burbs make a lot of their living eating dogs and cats and stealing from their food dishes. I have got more than one dog (born on the place) that look a little coyoteish too. I grew up with dogs that never got a shot of any kind (though I never remember the calves not getting blackleg shots); but now all mine get rabies (from the vet) and I shoot 7-way (Parvo, distemper, etc) every year.

Yes my dogs are vaccinated for rabies. One of our friends told us that the coyote had to have been sick. Hope it never happens again.

GMN

GMN":vd2vkqxn said:
Yes my dogs are vaccinated for rabies. One of our friends told us that the coyote had to have been sick. Hope it never happens again.

GMN

Or something was in heat. I forgot what you call them but coyotes will sometimes breed with dogs. Possibility

Jogeephus":3n91zn42 said:
GMN":3n91zn42 said:

GMN

Or something was in heat. I forgot what you call them but coyotes will sometimes breed with dogs. Possibility
Coydog

Latest posts