This might be a dumb question.

Help Support CattleToday:

ZMT

Reaction score
If I had a cow that was 75% angus and 25% Hereford and she was bred to an angus bull what percentage of each breed would the calf be? I was never a math fan. :D :cowboy:

Assuming the original percentages are correct (i.e., three of the cow's grandparents were registered fullblood Angus and one of her grandparents was a registered fullblood Hereford ... and none of those animals was upgraded from some other breed) ...

87.5% Angus
12.5% Hereford

Each breed has their own rules about calculating percentages when an animal is the result of an upgrading program (i.e., taking a commercial, unpedigreed herd and converting them (over a few generations) to pedigreed animals via using other pedigreed animals).

WalnutCrest":2k5sijrb said:
Assuming the original percentages are correct (i.e., three of the cow's grandparents were registered fullblood Angus and one of her grandparents was a registered fullblood Hereford ... and none of those animals was upgraded from some other breed) ...

87.5% Angus
12.5% Hereford

Each breed has their own rules about calculating percentages when an animal is the result of an upgrading program (i.e., taking a commercial, unpedigreed herd and converting them (over a few generations) to pedigreed animals via using other pedigreed animals).

Or 100% Angus. Or 25% Hereford. Or anywhere in between.

+1

I should have noted that the % of any animal from the pedigree that presents itself in the current animal is purely theoretical (unless detailed DNA analysis has been performed). Thanks for clarifying that. :tiphat:

Also assumes your neighbor's mongrel bull didn't jump fence. That is a constant problem. Don't know how you folks do it. Especially those who pull their bulls and have a calving season. My cows would be getting bred by bulls I don't want.