This is why we pelvic measure

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Sometimes small things come in big packages. Vet was out yesterday to BANGS, pelvic measure & administer the 5 way VL5 on our replacement heifers.

Rear end #1 is almost 11 months old, weighs appx 720 lbs, scored a solid 160 & comes from a lineage of easy, early calving.

Rear end #2 is almost 10 months old, weighs appx 665 lbs, scored a pitiful 121 but is from a 1st calf heifer from the same lineage as #1. Obviously she didn't make the cut.

Rear end #3 is 11 months old, appx 710 lbs & also scored 121. What????!!! Vet measured a 2nd time because even he was surprised. Her lineage is awesome: always has the highest scores of the replacement heifers and generally the first to calve, great bags, raises great calves . . . the whole package and I've retained every heifer. Until now. And what's really puzzling is last year her sister scored 170 & they have the same sire.

So my $.02: pelvic measurements are absolutely worth it! I would have kept that third heifer without giving it a 2nd thought and ended up with a train wreck.

They'll really fool you. My 6yr old had picked a heifer to retain last year. Real pretty rwf whose mother and grandmother spit out calves without blinking. The heifer looked thick as any that I had, but her pelvic score was 130. He bawled when I told him that he had to pick out another heifer. Worked out ok as his second pick calved last week.

Lazy M":1rn3hfbo said:
They'll really fool you. My 6yr old had picked a heifer to retain last year. Real pretty rwf whose mother and grandmother spit out calves without blinking. The heifer looked thick as any that I had, but her pelvic score was 130. He bawled when I told him that he had to pick out another heifer. Worked out ok as his second pick calved last week.

Glad it worked out for your son, bless his heart. I was practically in tears. Not that I liked her so much, she was a little skittish, but same thing - the lineage . . . . :(

I had 25/29 pass pelvic scores last week. 2 11month olds that were a 143 were the lowest that I kept. The 14-15 month olds ranged from 168-210. The 210 is a char cross that my wife had me buy from a neighbor. She weighed 480 in may and weighed in at 1160 last week.

Black and Good":3cl19b6b said:
TC, whats your cut off/cull measurement? Thanks B&G

We did have one that measured 144. She should be able to have a 70 lb calf unassisted and our new heifer bull is CED +16, BW -4.3, WW+39, YW +68. He was only 65 lbs at birth & should throw sleep-at-night babies (although I still drag myself out of bed to check). I also rely on my vets opinion & he said he'd keep her.

For our heifer sale program the guideline calls for 150 cm for spring yearling or 180 cm in the fall. Most of our calves are usually 160 or higher in spring. If they are under 150 cm they are culled out and sold as feeders.

Why the different requirements regarding spring/fall? I have read, on here even, that spring calves will be bigger than fall calves. Why not require the spring yearlings, if bred at a yr ish old, be held to the same standards as fall heifers?

I had my five heifers measured and scored last fall. Couple of guys I talked to here was like, why waste your money? I told them that no more than it costs to have done, I can at least be worried about something else besides these heifers pelvis' being too small. I had one at 168, three at 195, and one at 224. All born within 45 days.

Edit: 12-13.5 mo old

I'm assuming what Ky hills means is if a heifer scores 150 when she's a yearling she should score 180 by the time she's 18 months. Two years ago we had a heifer measured when she was probably 9 or 10 months and she was something like 138 but when the vet measured her again when she was 13 months she scored 150.

OK, I gotcha.

I should have looked earlier at the Show Me Select heifer requirements. They are similar. <150cm at prebreeding exam at approx. 6 weeks before breeding season can be remeasured at preg check 90 days after breeding season and must be 180 or greater by that time

I can't imagine having a heifer pelvic scored. Well maybe in registered stock or for a specialty sale that requires a pelvic measurement. I try and palpate all my heifers and the one's I feel are to tight go to the sale. That's the way our vet told me to do and so far so good.

So what you at saying is that you pelvic measure too? Just by the experience/seat of the pants method. If I knew what 180 felt like I would too! I may as well stick my head in there to look, for what good it would do me.

talltimber":1epvcofw said:
So what you at saying is that you pelvic measure too? Just by the experience/seat of the pants method. If I knew what 180 felt like I would too! I may as well stick my head in there to look, for what good it would do me.

But if you ever do, PLEASE have someone with a camera & post pics!

It really doesn't cost much to have the vet measure as long as he's out here doing the BANGS & pre breeding shots anyway. Definitely a lot less than a dead calf or heifer.

TCRanch":jlj8cl5h said:
talltimber":jlj8cl5h said:

But if you ever do, PLEASE have someone with a camera & post pics!

It really doesn't cost much to have the vet measure as long as he's out here doing the BANGS & pre breeding shots anyway. Definitely a lot less than a dead calf or heifer.
Our vet charges $8/hd if you bring them to him. Small price to pay

TCRanch":2fyjazd2 said:
I'm assuming what Ky hills means is if a heifer scores 150 when she's a yearling she should score 180 by the time she's 18 months. Two years ago we had a heifer measured when she was probably 9 or 10 months and she was something like 138 but when the vet measured her again when she was 13 months she scored 150.

Yes, that's what I meant thanks for clarifying it.
We always have them pelvic measured during the spring working.

Lazy M":8uf7bp6f said:
A lot of hidden costs in loading/hauling cattle to and from a vet.
I'm always surprised by how common it seems to be down south. Guess I should appreciate the number of large animal
vets we have available locally.

Son of Butch":184wcnnr said:
Lazy M":184wcnnr said:
A lot of hidden costs in loading/hauling cattle to and from a vet.
I'm always surprised by how common it seems to be down south. Guess I should appreciate the number of large animal
vets we have available locally.
True. I usually eat the extra $45 charge to have the vet come to the farm unless I'm moving them to another place anyway

Latest posts