This is why 2

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago Sky posted pictures that he took while stuck in traffic. So last week when I was on my way home from Winnemucca I counted the cars I passed between Burns Junction and Burns, Oregon. I left Burns Junction shortly after 8:00 AM on Thursday. I arrived in Burns at about 9:15. It is 93 miles. I never saw another vehicle headed my direction. Either in front or behind me. I passed a total of 31 vehicles! The traffic is getting terrible. Last time I made that drive I only past one car. The total included 7 freight trucks, 10 tourist with campers or trailers, 6 vehicles that I would describe as mom headed back to the farm after a grocery run to Burns, 4 rigs that looked to me like cattlemen/cowboys on their way to Winnemucca for the Thursday Superior sale, one BLM pickup, one Massey tractor pulling a V rake, one John Deere tractor pulling a New Holland big square baler, and a Heston swather. I didn't count the 80 or so pairs being driven down the side of the road by three cowboys horseback. From sign left behind those cows had been in the road just a few miles back. And there was sign on the road on out in front of them that showed this is a fairly common occurrence.

I have done that run many times, between Salem and Ontario, (Oregon, college freshman). Cattle in the road was my only hold up and yes sounds like that stretch is starting to get jammed up. In those days I would love getting outside of bend, I knew it was pedal to the metal until Vale! Good memories, 8 track blasting and making time, thanks, alan

Alan":3a044zvj said:
I have done that run many times, between Salem and Ontario, (Oregon, college freshman). Cattle in the road was my only hold up and yes sounds like that stretch is starting to get jammed up. In those days I would love getting outside of bend, I knew it was pedal to the metal until Vale! Good memories, 8 track blasting and making time, thanks, alan

On the way down I saw two signs that I loved. The first was as you come into Brothers. There is a total of three houses, a DOT shop and a rest stop with an outhouse in Brothers. There is absolutely nothing for miles either way. The sign as you come into "town" says "Congestion". They don't know what congestion is. The other one was somewhere between Bend and Burns. It said "Occasional road work next 184 miles". Gee thanks for the warning, I better slow down.

Latest posts