This is pretty neat..............

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":1fxrhuao said:
I'm a die hard Fat Max user. They need a version like that.

Maybe just me I always seem to have problems with the fatmax.
Same with the 30 foot Stanley.
Get to where they won't retract smoothly etc.
.I like the original 25 foot powerlock :2cents:

I don't see an "old, half blind" carpenter wanting to use it. Ya gotta have the tape extended EXACTLY the length you want to mark.... To me getting that right would be more time consuming and irritating than finding your pencil and keeping it sharp. :D

Yeah...I also wonder if the tape itself is worth a ..... 8) I'm with you fenceman. The 25 ft Stanley outlasts the FatMax and 30 footer. I like them both but they just can't take the abuse. :lol: I gotten a pinched finger and blood blister more than once with a new FatMax . :lol:

My "real job" is building. I don't think it would hold up under the pressure we put on our tools. Neat for a woodworking shop. For daily use..... I can hold a regular tape and a pencil and do the same thing just as effectively. Bet they sell a good many though. Be ok to have around the house.

I used the fat max for a while. They wouldn't last. Have bought dozens of Stanley's. They tend to break. Now I buy the cheap orange or yellow ones for $5 and use them as disposables.

Sorry, I'm on the negative side also. I spent enough time framing houses to know you have to measure in a straight line, meaning if I want to mark and cut a 2x6....8 I measure the left side of the board and then the right side and scribe across the marks. There's no way you can simple measure the board and get a true even cut by moving the tape across the cut, you have an arched line.

Alan":39o8s9q2 said:
Sorry, I'm on the negative side also. I spent enough time framing houses to know you have to measure in a straight line, meaning if I want to mark and cut a 2x6....8 I measure the left side of the board and then the right side and scribe across the marks. There's no way you can simple measure the board and get a true even cut by moving the tape across the cut, you have an arched line.

That's what I was thinking too... I like the idea but sharp pencil and good tape is all you need

Its a clever idea, but I cant come up with a scenario where it would actually replace needing a pencil anyway. For framing... maybe a quick tick mark would work if you're using a speed square as an edge guide for your saw, but looking through the little window for an accurate mark seems...inconvenient..not quite precise enough..maybe its the half-blind, old carpenter thing Vette mentioned.

For trim work & shop work, no way I'm gonna be able to get accurate to 1/16 (or less) looking through that little window, and I usually make a v-mark rather than a straight, single line for many cuts. And the thing where he runs the tapes end hook along the edge of the board, that rarely works in real life if youre more than about 12 in from the end of the board. I prefer to use a 16 ft tape most of the time, Im not particularly fussy about brand as I have about a gazillion tape measures laying around because I frequently discover I don't have one in the car when I'm on the way to do an estimate and have to make a quick trip into the nearest pharmacy, dollar store or grocery store lest I be late for my appointment. :dunce:

Furthermore, it would take all the fun out of stealing my husbands pencil when I cant find one of the 3 I just had in my hand a minute ago..... :pretty:

CottageFarm":1g8czju3 said:
Its a clever idea, but I cant come up with a scenario where it would actually replace needing a pencil anyway. For framing... maybe a quick tick mark would work if you're using a speed square as an edge guide for your saw, but looking through the little window for an accurate mark seems...inconvenient..not quite precise enough..maybe its the half-blind, old carpenter thing Vette mentioned.

For trim work & shop work, no way I'm gonna be able to get accurate to 1/16 (or less) looking through that little window, and I usually make a v-mark rather than a straight, single line for many cuts. And the thing where he runs the tapes end hook along the edge of the board, that rarely works in real life if youre more than about 12 in from the end of the board. I prefer to use a 16 ft tape most of the time, Im not particularly fussy about brand as I have about a gazillion tape measures laying around because I frequently discover I don't have one in the car when I'm on the way to do an estimate and have to make a quick trip into the nearest pharmacy, dollar store or grocery store lest I be late for my appointment. :dunce:

Furthermore, it would take all the fun out of stealing my husbands pencil when I cant find one of the 3 I just had in my hand a minute ago..... :pretty:
:lol2: :nod: :lol2: Yeah, a good day now is starting with 4 and having one left at the end of a day. Nowadays I pretty much spend more time looking for the tools I'm trying to use than working on the project.

Latest posts