This is my summer project! I love old barns!

Help Support CattleToday:

George Monk

Reaction score
We are going to reside and paint this barn so that it makes it another 100yrs

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

Beautiful barn. You can sell the old wood off of it-at least you can here. What is the roof made of?

thats a nice looking old barn.i know you will enjoy it.hope the foundation is still level.will take a good while to reside that barn.the roof looks tobe in good shape.i know i wouldnt want to climb on it to redo the roof.

Glad your saving the old barn. Looks like the roof is OK and struckturally sound enough.

Structuraly it is in surprisingly good shape. I don't think that it would be in a couple of more years though. All the loft joists are straight and true. There was a lot of had hewn lumber in the joists. We repainted the roof several years ago and plan on doing it also. The only real problem is the ground hogs have burrowed under the center isle concrete but have done no damage to the footings.

Question -

What material are you going to use for the exterior sides. Meta or wood?
Have on old barn in similar shape and can't decide which way to go.

RGV

rgv
We wanted to keep the integrity of the barn in place so we are going with treated pine. (wanted oak but can't find long enough lumber). I have been told that it should last 100 years especially if we paint it.
It was suggested that we simply nail old tin over the outside. That would be faster and eaiser but I don't think I would like how it looked when we would be finished.
It probably cost more to use wood and it is going to be more work but I know that our whole family will work together on this project and make it fun. Even then the cost of the lumber is less than $2000. So that isn't going to put us in the poor house.
George

"Even then the cost of the lumber is less than $2000."

You probablly three times that worth of the old lumber on it. At least it would be around here. A friend of mine spent over $1000 to put barn lumber on two walls in his den. There are a bunch of outfits that make everything from picture frames to furniture out of it. I priced two frames for a couple of old prints I have and the guy wanted $75 apiece.Z

Same up here, the crafters pay priemum pirces for old barn wood and the bidding starts when there is one to be demo'd.
Nice project though...think that I'd do the same. Alot more pride in a nice barn than a few $$ in the bank.
DMc

Latest posts