This is interesting....

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
NEW ANTIBIOTIC PRODUCT

Pfizer is marketing a new product for treatment of Bovine Respiratory Disease complex, ExcedeTM , which is a ceftiofur formulation. Excede differs from other ceftiofur products in that therapeutic blood levels are maintained for 7 days. Also, administration is subcutaneous in the middle third of the ear, similar to the location for growth implants. (The product can be administered along with implants.) Because of this location, there is no slaughter withdrawal time. A special needle with a 45 degree bevel is recommended for proper administration, instead of standard needles with 21 to 28 degree bevels, to reduce potential hazards of penetrating arteries in the ear. (Pfizer Animal Health website)

I'm sure they still have some "kinks" to word out. Guess we'll all wait and see.

When our area Pfizer rep was here a couple of months ago he gave me a 6 page booklet about it. The usuall charts and info. What I found interesting was the studies between that and Nuflor and Micotil. Anytime we had a problem Micotil did wonderfully espeically on the baby calves with resp. Nuflor when I was in the feedlot was mixed I felt. However I just found out that the Micotil standard injection site (under the arm pit) was 3 times less effective than the BQA required site (neck). But what I did like hearing about the Excede was if you stab/nick your self with it your not going to the hospital or morgue.

Interesting- I need to look at this a little more-- Sounds like a good product.

Cattle_gal- Agree with the Mycotil--I wouldn't even have it on the place after seeing the deaths from it-- Wasn't worth it to me. I saw good results in the feedlot from it-- but just couldn't get over the old idea of Murphy's Law- Didn't want to be the one that caused someones death..........

If you have a really sick calf you can't beat Mycotil. But you are right it is very dangerous.

Wouldn't be without the Micotil on my place. We keep it on hand year-around, just in case. Its the closest thing to a miracle drug we've ever used for walking deads. As for the danger, there's a lot of things around here that can cause death from carelessness or accidents. We can't hide from all of them!

If you choose not to use Micotil, that's fine with me. But some of the anti-Micotil folks use the same arguments as the anti-gun crowd. Where did personal responsibility go?

Wouldn't be without the Micotil on my place. We keep it on hand year-around, just in case. Its the closest thing to a miracle drug we've ever used for walking deads. As for the danger, there's a lot of things around here that can cause death from carelessness or accidents. We can't hide from all of them!

If you choose not to use Micotil, that's fine with me. But some of the anti-Micotil folks use the same arguments as the anti-gun crowd. Where did personal responsibility go?

Texan you hit the nail right on the head. Agree with you 110%. I worry more about how expensive it is that the danger involved.

Since we are "religious" in our vaccination program and preventive health care for our animals (as well as providing safe areas for our cattle to be in), we don't worry about diseases that might need any new "miracle" drug.

Only time we had to "doctor" a calf (for "shipping fever") was when one came back with his dam from the A.I. facility--he picked up couple of bugs that blew into the A.I. place from a nearby "sale barn"... just used usual medications--calf was fine in short order. Did have one incident of diarrhea with a calf--gave him a large pill bolus for 2-3 days...cleared up right away.

Finally, we don't use any implants of any type...just use good ole natural grazing, cubes, minerals, etc. Not trying to build a weight-lifter or football player...genetics and normal food do that for us.

Running Arrow Bill":1fe15q9u said:
Since we are "religious" in our vaccination program and preventive health care for our animals (as well as providing safe areas for our cattle to be in), we don't worry about diseases that might need any new "miracle" drug.

Only time we had to "doctor" a calf (for "shipping fever") was when one came back with his dam from the A.I. facility--he picked up couple of bugs that blew into the A.I. place from a nearby "sale barn"... just used usual medications--calf was fine in short order. Did have one incident of diarrhea with a calf--gave him a large pill bolus for 2-3 days...cleared up right away.

Finally, we don't use any implants of any type...just use good ole natural grazing, cubes, minerals, etc. Not trying to build a weight-lifter or football player...genetics and normal food do that for us.
Not to mention that shots hurt the cattle.

ollie":2dydrw2e said:
Running Arrow Bill":2dydrw2e said:

Not to mention that shots hurt the cattle.

Ours are grass only and minerals nothing more.

Speaking of cost I looked up what the cost/100ml bottle was- $164.99. 1.5 ml/100weight .

Micotil $141.65/100ml. 1.5 ml/100weight. Went up since I bought my bottle a couple of years ago.

Nuflor $54.49/100ml. 6ml/100weight.

Unfortunately up here in the "north pole" these medicines aren't just for the typical shipping sickness. When it's minus 35 and sometimes minus 60 with the wind chill for a few days then gets warmer (just above freezing, plus 32). And yo yo's above freezing during the day and gets
below 0 at night, the baby calves (basically newborns)have a good chance of getting pneumonia. Saw the same at the feedlot no mater what vaccination program they were on. And even purebred bredstock bulls on test. I did however make sure the other people doctoring did use responsibility when using this, as they had never used the Micotil before. A needle for the bottle, then undo the syringe when filled, then a new needle to go into the animal, and then followed by the syringe after the needle was inserted into the cow. Here at the ranch I'm the one man..er woman show so I've got to make sure the calf is not moving before I do anything. I live way to far away from a hospital. I'm well vaccinated with every other cattle shot :shock: . Yeah you do feel funny with the Mod live shots after a week, even when it's just a little jab in the skin.

Latest posts