This is gonna be a loooong calving season

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
Had a cold snap and a calf froze to the ground,.....calf is okay now and back with Mama. Now today the weather warmed up but had to C-section a heifer and now she won't claim the calf (yet, still hopin!). The only two calves we have had so far, I hope it starts getting better, got a lot more cows to go!

msscamp

Reaction score
grubbie":3rr04nk1 said:
Had a cold snap and a calf froze to the ground,.....calf is okay now and back with Mama. Now today the weather warmed up but had to C-section a heifer and now she won't claim the calf (yet, still hopin!). The only two calves we have had so far, I hope it starts getting better, got a lot more cows to go!

Grubbie - I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Farmers Almanac says that April is going to be a bitch weather wise! If that proves to be true, and if it's any consolation, I will still be kidding out goats in April, so you will at least have some company. :) I'm not saying anything about whether that company is good, bad, or otherwise, though - I'll leave that up to you to decide. :lol:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
Hope it warms up a little soon for all of our sakes! Haven't had any calves freeze to the ground...they usually land in a snowbank and most of our winter calves lose their ears! Good luck with the rest of them.

Workinonit Farm

Reaction score
Grubbie (and you too msscamp) I hope that the rest of your calvings and kiddings go a bit smoother than they have been.

With any luck Grubbie that C-section heifer will claim that calf.

LoveMoo11, I've had a couple lose the tips of their ears and one lost the tail tip.

Good luck.

Katherine

bigbull338

Reaction score
hang in there your calving season will get better.an youll enjoy watching the calves grow an play.

OP
grubbie

grubbie

Reaction score
Yeah shes not wanting anything to do with it, guess we have a bottle baby. Pain in the you know what but he sure is cute!

cfpinz

Reaction score
For our first calf of the season this year, I had to dig 2 holes. Talk about starting off on the wrong foot. Percentage-wise this was the worst year we've ever had. Huge calves, pulled a bunch. Same cows, same bulls. Didn't buy a lb of supplement all winter. Sometimes life just sucks.

SRBeef

Reaction score
cfpinz":3rgo9hn9 said:
For our first calf of the season this year, I had to dig 2 holes. Talk about starting off on the wrong foot. Percentage-wise this was the worst year we've ever had. Huge calves, pulled a bunch. Same cows, same bulls. Didn't buy a lb of supplement all winter. Sometimes life just sucks.

Sorry to hear that. Hope the rest work out better.

Jim