This is crazy

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
I been at this cattle thing for almost 2 years. Learned a lot, still learning every day, got a lot left to learn.

I have 30 momma cows, all bought as bred heifers, or open heifers bred to my registered Angus bull. All that went pretty good. I'll take luck over skill any day. My second calf crop is on the ground right now.

During this time I have been developing my vaccination program. Next week is my first round this year.

Here it is:
Calves 60 days old to vaccinate
..............................................Who.......................Times Per Year........Repeat
Tetanus antitoxin.........................Steers.........................1...................4 Weeks
Bar Vac 7...............Black Leg........All..............................1...................4 Weeks
Vira Shield 6...........Respiratory......Calves.........................2....................4 Weeks
Vira Shield 6 + VL5...Respiratory......Cows & Bulls..................2....................4 Weeks
Long Range............Wormer..........All..............................2....................4 Weeks
Custom Pinkeye...........................All.............................2....................4 Weeks
Fly Tags.....................................1 calves/2 for cows

This one round is a little over $1,0000. That is crazy.

How much per animal HDRider? We used a white paste and Cydectin injectable wormer and averaged $9.00 a head, normally without the white paste wormer our adverage is less than $6.00 per head. I've never used the intranasal or pinkeye vaccines.

Calvary 9 = $49 for 50 dose
Triangle 10 = $93 for 50 dose
Safeguard paste = $126 for 1000 ml at 2.3 ml per 100lb
Cydectin injectable = $149 for 500 ml at 1 ml per 100lb

We only run 50 - 100 cows depending on the grass available. But we haven't lost a calf going on 2 years now, and so far haven't lost a cow...yet. And some of the trader cows I bring home are really thin.

I guess it has to do with your area on what you give but I don't give Tetanus, respiratory to cows and bulls, or Pinkeye. I go back and forth on fly tags but not using any this year. I use a cheaper (noromectin) injection wormer. The cows get it once a year, the calves at first work and weaning.

I have had one cow with pinkeye this year. I have never had a Tetanus problem that i am aware of. I band my bulls. My cows and bulls rarely get sick. If something looks wormy, I'll give it a another worming of something better quality.
I use IGR in my mineral and also spray for flys. Neither seemed to be working very good this year until about two weeks ago when the weather got hot and dry.
I took the vitamin package out of my mineral so I have been giving the cows a vitamin injection instead. Not real expensive. I also have some multimin in stock to use as needed but its expired.
I kind of take to heart what Lucky the vet says that after a cow is 5 or 6 years old, they don't need much if they look to be in good shape.

I worry about anaplasmosis more than anything.

We have a work up of all the spring calves in late April to mid May each year. This year we did it on May 15th. We work all the calves and give them their first round of shots. They will get a second round of shots when then are brought up in the fall for weaning. We have never given a booster shot.

I have a message in for my vet now as to why he doesn't come back and administer a booster. It would be money in his pocket to do so.

I suspect it is a typo error but tet antitoxin is only needed at time of castration if they have not had any prior vaccination, certainly doesn't need a 4 wk follow up. I am not familiar with your vaccines but would suspect the clostridial vaccine (blackleg) would contain the tetanus toxoid.

Ken

I wondered why you are giving long range and them repeating it. Also you are giving enough vaccine that you need to shop around. There can be significant differences in price for the same product.

True Grit Farms":88vy7806 said:
How much per animal HDRider? We used a white paste and Cydectin injectable wormer and averaged $9.00 a head, normally without the white paste wormer our adverage is less than $6.00 per head. I've never used the intranasal or pinkeye vaccines.

Calvary 9 = $49 for 50 dose
Triangle 10 = $93 for 50 dose
Safeguard paste = $126 for 1000 ml at 2.3 ml per 100lb
Cydectin injectable = $149 for 500 ml at 1 ml per 100lb

We only run 50 - 100 cows depending on the grass available. But we haven't lost a calf going on 2 years now, and so far haven't lost a cow...yet. And some of the trader cows I bring home are really thin.

True Grit, I am still learning, what is the purpose of the Safeguard Paste and the Cydectin. What is the added benefit?

Also, maybe a typo, but the Virashield I believe after the first 2 shots 4 weeks apart is just 1 shot annually.

sstterry":3o7tr5ma said:
I think I found the Answer, lungworms,intestinal worms and stomach worms. Is that correct?

Yes that's one of the benefits, also using an injectable and paste at the same time has a 99% kill rate and no resistance issues. Everyone using the cheap and easy to use ivermectin pour - on wormer has caused resistance issues.

Ebenezer":17bwl1op said:
also using an injectable and paste at the same time has a 99% kill rate and no resistance issues
Where'd you get that? 1% survival = resistance.

We took a cattle parasite class through UGA. The study is now 2 years old, but it's the best technique available for the treatment and prevention of resistance in cattle parasites.

No respiratory to bulls, virashield and booster for everyone else , then annually for the cows . Combine toxoid and blackleg, and forget pinkeye vac if you're gonna flytag, or flytag and forget the pinkeye shot, not even gonna get into the wormer . I will be waiting on the check you send for the savings , 10% will be fine . :lol2:

I band at birth, so don't use any Tetanus
If you are vaccinating your cows, why not use a MLV for cows & calves? Cheaper and better protection. Does not need booster. Just have to make sure you vaccinate cows every 12 months at least 30 days prior to breeding.
Long Range is the most expensive de-wormer out there. Mature cows really don't need de-worming, so I sure wouldn't use an expensive product on them. I do believe in using two diff. wormers for calves. I use the dreaded pour-on plus Valbazen to get tapeworms.
I don't use Pinkeye vaccine. Don't think they are very good, and we have very little problem with it.
Don't use fly tags, but don't have a lot of fly problem in NY.

Health programs are expensive, but treating an animal for a health issue is a LOT MORE expensive. And if you have to treat, they generally respond quicket/better if vaccinated.

We band little bulls and give a blackleg when they go out to pasture with the momma cows. If they get bigger before we band, like to 3-400 lbs, we use the bigger bander (callicrate) and give a TETANUS shot, NOT antitoxin, plus the blackleg. Cows get lepto at preg check, and sometimes a second dose if they are going through the chute at another time. Not big on alot of vaccinations, but have done some for IBR BVD etc., when we have exposure to bought cows. Do not worm cows except on a " gee they look awful thin, have a dull coat" type of observation and if the calves do like the parents, they are not kept as replacements. We breed and cull for hardier cattle. The calves will get a worming after they are weaned. All heifers get the one shot of Bangs vacc and they get an ear tatoo; vet done, but they are eligible to be shipped anywhere and that way I never worry about brucellosis or possible problems. Guess that is a hold over from the dairy industry, but it has helped identify some heifers that got out into another pasture and the owner wouldn't let us have our cattle back. Guess what, I had bangs vacc proof, and he had to concede.... don't trust some of the people who adjoin some pastures.

Yes, I forgot, my cows get Lepto twice a year. First one with the MLV in March, 2nd one in Sept. Lepto coverage is only good for 6 months. And, yes, we also have our vet Brucc. vacc. all our heifers.

We always give an Covexin 8 way shot to everything we castrate whether with a knife or a band. It has the tetanus in it. When working calves we usually give a multi min shot, Bovishield Gold or something similar and either an injectable like Dectomax or a back pour and a fly spray. We rotate fly controls. We use either Ultra Saber or Ultra Boss usually. This year I'm trying a new one. Can't remember the name but it provides tick control also and we are having a lot of trouble with ticks especially on the young calves. It seems to provide about 2 weeks of fly control. We haven't got everything worked yet. The fire has set us behind. Had a sick 300# plus heifer calf Monday. Gave her a shot of Draxxin. The program we use is basically one our vet uses on his cows and suggests. We give a booster of bovishield gold or something similar and 8 way at weaning along with a multi min shot. The cows usually get one multi min shot a year. The breeding age heifers get one before we turn the bull in and sometimes a second in the fall if we have time. Our vet says for our area there is little benefit to giving long range so we never have. We do provide a mineral with garlic and IGR in it to help with fly control but for some reason they aren't consuming much right now. We try to give what is needed but still keep the cost in control. Helped a man last spring and he was giving every calf we worked around $40.00 worth of shots. It was either 7 or 8 shots. Supposedly his vet recomended it. I can't remember for sure what it cost us last year but it was way less than that.

HDRider":2rtb1fsr said:
The big cost item was Long Range - I switched that to IverMax.

When you get a cow that looks off use the white paste type of wormer, you'll be glad you did. A fecal sample for worms is easy and anyone with a microscope can tell if there's a problem.

Latest posts