This aint good

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm concerned.
Hoping it's a freak, one time thing. Regardless. That means she's outta here. Ain't gonna feed her all winter for nothing. Stinks too. She's outta one of my favorite cows and raised a very nice first calf too.
You vaccinate annually?

You vaccinate annually?
Upon further research. The home cows did not get anything but wormed this go round. I used to work em when preg checking at the vet. They are so spread out here that didn't happen this year. 😶
I had some issues 2 seasons ago. I suspect a couple bred cows were given the wrong vaccines and aborted 2 calves. But that's speculation.

Bull will be pulled here soon to go to the other place. Then we will get this calving window straightened out.

I have notes for other cows but no notes of the bull with this cow. No notes for the other June calver either. Hay season... don't get to watch em as much as I'd like. At best, it could be a 5 month plus abortion correct?
Is it inappropriate.... wait do you have a do it planner for your cows and bulls?! Hold up wait a minute... ya'll need post your planners so I can see ab example. Does it say... MurraysMutts Do it planner or MurraysMutts Farm planner or what June such amd such dates cut hay June
Ellie moo
?

You may end up with a calf in the morning.
Which is why I asked if it was a water bag hanging or just a white membrane visible.
I had a cow a few years back, that had a white ball looking thing visible poking out less than an inch from her vulva. Can't remember now if she was a heifer or if it was her 2nd calf. I thought she was going to calve that night but she did not. It was gone 24 hrs later, the vulva looked normal and she calved about 3 months later.

I've had a couple with a water bag hanging out calf the next day. I've also had the white ball deal but not sure what that is. I've also had several that I know had to of had a calf and not see the little guy for a week. Hopefully things turn out good.

I've also had the white ball deal but not sure what that is.
A minor vaginal prolapse I think. Looks like this:
vprolapse.jpg
About the size of a baseball or softball.

Lucky_P can probably tell us more
A true Vaginal prolapse is bigger and usually red or pink, but when it first emerges, looks white at least the ones I've seen.

Last edited:
You vaccinate annually?
Upon further research. The home cows did not get anything but wormed this go round. I used to work em when preg checking at the vet. They are so spread out here that didn't happen this year. 😶
I had some issues 2 seasons ago. I suspect a couple bred cows were given the wrong vaccines and aborted 2 calves. But that's speculation.

Bull will be pulled here soon to go to the other place. Then we will get this calving window straightened out.
Safest is during the open period a month before the bull goes in. Bovishield Gold FP5 VL5 covers most bases, cows get a clostridial with their scour vaccine pre calving annually.

A minor vaginal prolapse I think. Looks like this:
View attachment 10808
About the size of a baseball or softball.

Lucky_P can probably tell us more
A true Vaginal prolapse is bigger and usually red or pink, but when it first emerges, looks white at least the ones I've seen.
That cow needs to do more kegels. Their muscles get stretched and the calf pushes on their vagina when the cow lays down. It usually falls back in when they stand up.

When you asked about a white membrane I thought you ment a was of after birth. I've seen that when a cow slips a calf.

Shes still got what appears to be placenta hanging out. Just like a cow that calved and is retaining placenta. Hangs about halfway to the ground. Shouldve taken a picture I guess. No calf!

I MAY take this one to the vet to be checked out.

I have heard of cows aborting a twin early on. But the only way to know for sure what's going on there will be a vet check I presume. Perhaps an ultra sound, palpation is in order.

I don't like it!

Yes I would probably get someone out to check on her.

GB I'm not to sure about that pic. I've only had 2 cows prolapse. Prolapse is real meaty and nasty looking. I've also had a steer calf rectal prolapse. Every year I'll have one with the water sac deal and a few with retained placenta but it's never been an issue. The last cow I caught with a retained placenta stepped on it and pulled it out right before she walked into the tub.

(I only saw one uterine prolapse and that was decades ago with one of my father's cows. I was a teenager)

I think SBMF nailed what I was talking about. Where just part of the repro system or the membranes that hold it all in place pooches out a little.

Some vaginal prolapse pics here:
https://veteriankey.com/vaginal-cervical-and-uterine-prolapse/

Latest posts