This aint good

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
I've got a 2nd calf cow that has a water bag hanging out. I fed this evening and she's just totally chillin like nothing is going on.
Last one (Ellie Moo) came to feed like that, laid down and had her calf while the others were finishing dinner.

Here's the problem.

This one calved in June. June 6th. Sold her calf over a month ago. Sold early.

I've got an abortion, don't I?

You have any idea when she was re-bred after the Jun 6 calving?
Even assuming she was right on the 21 day cycle, June 27 to Dec 4 won't be enough time.

You have any idea when she was re-bred after the Jun 6 calving?
Even assuming she was right on the 21 day cycle, June 27 to Dec 4 won't be enough time.
I have notes for other cows but no notes of the bull with this cow. No notes for the other June calver either. Hay season... don't get to watch em as much as I'd like.
At best, it could be a 5 month plus abortion correct?

Yep. 5 months. Assuming it isn't a problem left over from June calving.
8 months is about the limit for a preemie to survive and not easy even then that far along.
Is the water bag hanging out or just a white bulge at the vulva opening?

Last edited:
Yep. 5 months. Assuming it isn't a problem left over from June calving.
8 months is about the limit for a preemie to survive and not easy even then that far along.
Is the water bag hanging out or just a white bulge at the vulva opening?
On the lepto, Cows are vaccinated yearly. I HOPE that's not the case...

At first I thought it was a retained placenta. Hanging that low. Then I saw what cow it was and it it really threw me. I have 1 due tween now and January and I thought she had calved.

Yes. A 5 way. I don't remember the name of the vaccine I used last year. ViraShield I think. It had hardjo bovis listed.
(I don't own cows currently (sold them months ago in anticipation of moving) but this property is always wet and muddy.

I'm told that the wild hogs carry and spread the Hardjo Boris. You have to make sure your vaccine has the letters HB on it because most companies have different versions of their vaccines some have it and some don't….things I've learned the hard way.

Thanks guys!
I'll be checking on her in the a.m.
Hoping she's cleared, and it's just a freak one time thing.

My initial worries were moldy hay, tho stuff was put up right this year.

Latest posts