Thinking of moving to Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":hbsju93p said:
Bigfoot":hbsju93p said:
Craig Miller":hbsju93p said:
Well in today's market you could sell it easily I think. You probably left some money on the table but not enough to lose any sleep over. By the way, do you have any more land for sale out there?

I was reasonably sure, that when I purchased it, I paid too much. We weren't talking about a huge sum of money anyway. It was listed with a realtor, and had been for sale, for some time. I don't really know anybody in that area. With my profession, I knew some people I could call in the area to check out the property. They looked at it, and said it would fit my needs (a place to park a LQ trailer, and graze a horse, public land near by). I should have kept it, as I still myself doing that someday. I just can't imagine me actually going through with the plan, or taking time away from the farm.

What was appealing about that country to you?

Several things
I was only going to spend a short period of time there. Probably pull out, as soon as we got the Christmas decorations put away, and be back by the time my cows start calving in real late February.

I was going to stay on the little 9 acre lot in my Living Quarters trailer. Have access to water and electricity. Take in some riding on public lands, and hit a few ropeings. Mainly just wanted to avoid the mud here, and get away.

In my mind, it would have been a cheap winter home. I've wished a 1000 times I hadn't sold it.

Cost of living really wouldn't have affected me. Groceries and gas is probably all I would have spent.

SoILcattle":2t4ls61f said:
That is the area I was most interested in.

I wouldn't spend much time in East Texas....wish I hadn't. You seen one pine tree and swamp, you've seen 'em all.
Personally, I love West and south Texas.

West of Austin in the hill country the land goes for around 20k an acre in the 10-50 acre range unless it has something nice on it and then it is much higher. Our neighbor just sold 35 acres for 20k an acre and it is mostly cedar and rocks. About 3-4 acres is at all nice and almost none of it is grazable. The guy that bought it was glad to get it. Look east of 35 a good ways and stay at least 60 miles from a city. Closer than that and people commute into town to work which spikes the land prices.

Bigfoot":wm143e0w said:
Brute 23":wm143e0w said:
Bigfoot":wm143e0w said:
I was reasonably sure, that when I purchased it, I paid too much. We weren't talking about a huge sum of money anyway. It was listed with a realtor, and had been for sale, for some time. I don't really know anybody in that area. With my profession, I knew some people I could call in the area to check out the property. They looked at it, and said it would fit my needs (a place to park a LQ trailer, and graze a horse, public land near by). I should have kept it, as I still myself doing that someday. I just can't imagine me actually going through with the plan, or taking time away from the farm.

What was appealing about that country to you?

Several things
I was only going to spend a short period of time there. Probably pull out, as soon as we got the Christmas decorations put away, and be back by the time my cows start calving in real late February.

I was going to stay on the little 9 acre lot in my Living Quarters trailer. Have access to water and electricity. Take in some riding on public lands, and hit a few ropeings. Mainly just wanted to avoid the mud here, and get away.

In my mind, it would have been a cheap winter home. I've wished a 1000 times I hadn't sold it.

Cost of living really wouldn't have affected me. Groceries and gas is probably all I would have spent.

It was only about a $100k hit in the wallet. Turning a couple of those in a lifetime can make or break a person.

SoILcattle":25p0k0ie said:

The area of central Texas where I ranch (Navarro county) is going up in price but not like around Austin or the DFW mess. West of Waco is more expensive than east.
Limestone county was mentioned and it is a good place to look around. Plenty of hunting and fishing opportunities in this area.
You are welcome to visit my place if your in the area. Look around on the Lands of Texas website to get some ideas. It has a good search function to help you weed out the "palatial estates".

Oh by the way, it is spring here so you better start planning. Summer starts in May.

SoILcattle":313yw7zc said:
Currently we live in extreme southern Illinois. I have been thing if relocating for some time but my wife is not quite in board. Would like some advice or opinions on Texas from those that live there.

Currently we operate a plumbing and excavation business here, are the job opportunities for this type of work plentiful in Texas? I would prefer to continue to operate our own business.

Looking to live in a rural area with good hunting and fishing over 100 acres and a good place to raise a family. All advice welcome. Thanks.

Here is something better jump n it.

https://easttexas.craigslist.org/grd/d/ ... 31949.html

SoILcattle":3d3x7f1x said:
Currently we live in extreme southern Illinois. I have been thing if relocating for some time but my wife is not quite in board. Would like some advice or opinions on Texas from those that live there.

Currently we operate a plumbing and excavation business here, are the job opportunities for this type of work plentiful in Texas? I would prefer to continue to operate our own business.

Looking to live in a rural area with good hunting and fishing over 100 acres and a good place to raise a family. All advice welcome. Thanks.

No need to move to Texas. Southern Indiana has a sane government and good regulatory climate. Voted heavily for Trump. Summertime is warm, but it ain't Texas, where Mexicans think its too darn hot.

southern

bird dog":3jjs2mrh said:
SoILcattle":3jjs2mrh said:

The area of central Texas where I ranch (Navarro county) is going up in price but not like around Austin or the DFW mess. West of Waco is more expensive than east.
Limestone county was mentioned and it is a good place to look around. Plenty of hunting and fishing opportunities in this area.
You are welcome to visit my place if your in the area. Look around on the Lands of Texas website to get some ideas. It has a good search function to help you weed out the "palatial estates".

Oh by the way, it is spring here so you better start planning. Summer starts in May.
Just a personal opinion but Limestone county is one of the most depressing counties I've ever visited. I see nothing anywhere that looks like progresss.

You are right about that TexasBred. The whole county is kind of off the beaten path and the towns are slow to not growing or dying completely. A real nice house will be right next door to some trailer scum but everyone seems to get along. I guess that is why the land there is more reasonable. A lot of good folk live there but the counties average IQ has to be towards the bottom. I fit right in with them.

Tehuacana in Limestone County came pretty close to being named the new capitol of Texas when it became a state.
(I always figured someone with a speech impediment named that town, meant it to be Texarkana but the way he pronounced it just stuck)

hurleyjd":15xsz6l5 said:
SoILcattle":15xsz6l5 said:

You got some land for sale don't ya?

Craig Miller":2fg3i2r2 said:
hurleyjd":2fg3i2r2 said:
SoILcattle":2fg3i2r2 said:

You got some land for sale don't ya?

nope not me.

greybeard":21i7qle8 said:
Tehuacana in Limestone County came pretty close to being named the new capitol of Texas when it became a state.
(I always figured someone with a speech impediment named that town, meant it to be Texarkana but the way he pronounced it just stuck)

There is some interesting history in this area. This battle was about a mile from a tract I owned outside of Dawson.
http://www.historynet.com/battle-creek- ... ldiers.htm

They also had a plane crash.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braniff_Flight_352

I know a man that was the first on the scene as it crashed across from his house. Back then they didn't recover much of the fuselage, they just dug a hole and buried it. The mound of dirt is still visible and a few of the plane parts continue to work their way to the surface. By chance I stopped to talk to the man one day and a guy drove up that had a relative that died in the crash and wanted to see the site.
It was chilling to hear the first hand report as he described the scene.
A lot of the old folks in this town believe there was something besides pilot error involved. It does seem suspicious as the plane practically blew up in mid air.

Tehuacana is a nice area where I have looked around for farm land.

Latest posts