Thinking long term

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
Not sure where this goes, but I'm quite thrilled with today's events.

Our largest client just told us they'd like to become a cooperator.

This will, over the next few years, double the size of what we can do.

They're excited to be exclusively raising fullblood Aubrac cattle (including the breeding and raising of our own Aubrac-sired F1 Jersey cross calves to be recips for embryo work) ... and ... partnering with us in the further development and expansion of our beef marketing ...

Tonight was been almost two years in the making. We couldn't be more pleased with how today went.

... and the icing on top ... in just the last few weeks, we have been approached by a respected breeder in France (who, without us knowing it at the time, is the breeder of one of the French bulls we've been using in our ET program) who wants to import genetics from us, with an eye to us bringing back over from France new and complimentary genetics for what we already have here.

I consider all of this a huge validation of the very different drum we've been marching to ... blending the criteria of hardiness, palatability, fertility, efficiency and temperament.

Thanks for letting me spout off a bit!

Congratulations. You must be excited. This will keep your motor humming for a while.

Great to hear. Have fun.

Stocker Steve":23iwnub4 said:
I did not totally understand. You are trading semen with a respected French breeder?

Semen to France.
Embryos and semen to the US.

Import restrictions and the nuances of the French herd book are not inconsequential. There is a decent (or better) chance this won't happen ... but that they sought me out and want it to happen is a big deal to me.

Congrats! I think cooperator herds are a great way to get leverage, local representation, and momentum. Sounds like a win - win deal for both operations.

What do you see as the next milestone for your seed stock operations?

Stocker Steve":38v9jgve said:
Congrats! I think cooperator herds are a great way to get leverage, local representation, and momentum. Sounds like a win - win deal for both operations.

Thanks. That's the idea ...

Stocker Steve":38v9jgve said:
What do you see as the next milestone for your seed stock operations?

For you to buy a spendy bull for some of your girls! :D

... in all seriousness, continue going down the path I've been traveling, and not get discouraged when things take longer than expected ... it's easy to get discouraged about any old little thing ... the trick is to keep going and to find things to be excited about.

The next milestone is tomorrow.

Thanks everyone. Yes, it is exciting --- many (!!) details still to work out (including the possibility of a trip to France this fall ... which would just so happen to coincide with my 20th anniversary ... SHHHHHH do NOT tell my wife).

WalnutCrest":e9vfs1ky said:
Stocker Steve":e9vfs1ky said:
I did not totally understand. You are trading semen with a respected French breeder?

Semen to France.
Embryos and semen to the US.

Import restrictions and the nuances of the French herd book are not inconsequential. There is a decent (or better) chance this won't happen ... but that they sought me out and want it to happen is a big deal to me.

There is no reason that it can't happen. With our dairy breed Montbeliarde, Coopex / Umotest in France have purchased one bull here in the US and are in the process of purchasing a second bull. The bulls will remain in the US and semen has been exported to France, Russia, South America and Turkey so far. The bulls are also in the Montbeliarde herd book in France with their US information.

Some of the very top bulls of any breed from overseas are not available for use in the US because of Schmallenberger disease. As some protection against this problem, some of the foreign bull studs are bringing embryos to the US to develop a breeding program in the US. Viking Genetics is one of the first to do this.