Thinking about new hay cutter??

Help Support CattleToday:

John SD":2sm1gmgs said:
SoILcattle":2sm1gmgs said:
True Grit Farms":2sm1gmgs said:
I'll cut circles around you with my Vermeer trail mower. But to each their own, if it's not broke don't fix it.

How exactly does moving the mower from 3 pt to trail type make it so much faster mowing? We can already now faster than the fields will allow us to, and the 3 pt will turn around and be back in the hay quicker.

In a square hay field with no obstacles

http://vermeernw.com/new-equipment/agri ... ers/tm1400

What is this square field that you speak of? :lol: My best field has 8 corners, and I have one of the better ones around here. Probaly why most everyone around here has a 3pt mower.

I'm with hillbilly :lol: I didn't know they made fields of the square variety. All of ours have that one little section that only makes two bales and probably isn't worth cutting but we do it anyway. :D

SoILcattle":1440bfut said:
Square with no obstacles, those don't exist around here

Not many places they do exist,

set up properly at the same width very little difference between a trailed and 3pt mower. The 3pt will take marginally less power to run, (no mower wheels to drag).

The largest mowers on the market today are all 3pt mounted.

As for the time to mount a 3pt as opposed to a trailed it depends on what you are used to. Would think that for very many used to mounting 3pt gear they would be about as quick, as many mounting a trailed. If it was the a mower like the New Holland where you need to mount a bracket to the drawbar first, well I would be off down the road with a 3pt while still wrenching on the New Holland.

1wlimo":39pdk0gz said:
As for the time to mount a 3pt as opposed to a trailed it depends on what you are used to. Would think that for very many used to mounting 3pt gear they would be about as quick, as many mounting a trailed. If it was the a mower like the New Holland where you need to mount a bracket to the drawbar first, well I would be off down the road with a 3pt while still wrenching on the New Holland.

I've put a few 3pt mowers on for other folks, there's a reason most folks around here leave them mounted on one tractor year-round. That's one piece of equipment I have zero desire to ever own.

For you guys who do use 3pt mowers, I assume you always cut round and round clockwise because the mower stays on the RH side of the tractor?

I used to hay creek bottoms, but not anymore. So I always make 6 rounds around the outside perimiter with my swing tongue moco to provide enough room to turn, then start on one side of the field and cut, rake, and bale back and forth.

Only do 2 hayfields now, both are almost square. One field is an almost square of a 40 but not quite because the eastern fence is moved back to keep it out of a draw, officially measures something like 33.7 acres. No obstacles in the field unless I have left old haystacks there.

The other field is a standard square 160, but I planted 3 rows of windbreak along the north and west sides of it. The only obstacle in the field is an old well not far from the east side. Used to be another old hand dug well at an old homestead but finally got it filled in and I go right over the top of it now.

1wlimo":kw9m77pc said:
If it was the a mower like the New Holland where you need to mount a bracket to the drawbar first, well I would be off down the road with a 3pt while still wrenching on the New Holland.

My MacDon swather uses a bracket mounted on the drawbar. When done haying, it's easier just to pull one pin to remove the drawbar than to take the bracket off. The tractor drawbar is usually not used for anything else anyway.

If for some reason there would be need to use the drawbar on that tractor, I have another tractor with the same drawbar it would still be easier just pull the pin to borrow from the other tractor than to take the bracket off :idea:

pricefarm":2vyfaapx said:
I don't understand the big deal with hooking up a disc mower. Not that hard if u back up to it straight.

I don't either. My neighbor always called me to come help him as it took a minimum of an hour for him to do it buy himself. the last time he got ready to cut it loose I told him to let me help . he was setting it on pallets and using a 10x10 block under the jack stand . It was out of level when he cut loose and you had to use a floor jack. after I grabbed 3 6x6x24 blocks and put one on end one under skid and one under jack and he set it down the pins were level and lift arms slipped off with ease. He had been doing it his way for over 10yrs. when I went to hook up this yr it was 5 min and done. I will say the New Holland is more difficult than my john deere but I can fix that with a couple of PAT's quick connect left arm hitchs. that will make it about 20sec hook up.

I've never been around a 3pt mower, but would a 3 pt quick hitch be helpful, or potential trouble? My experience tells me I shouldn't use a quick hitch with PTO powered attachments.

Last winter I used my Cat II quick hitch with the snowblower. Had to be careful when lowering the snowblower because the PTO shaft interfered, so I raised the skid shoes on the snowblower. I also used a 540 to 1000 PTO adapter from the farm store and made every effort to run the tractor at half throttle or less. Didn't think I was overspeeding or abusing the PTO, but the made in China adapter messed up the splines on my tractor PTO shaft. So from now on I don't intend to use the quick hitch or the PTO adapter on the snowblower again. My snowblower experience would lead me to advise caution to anyone considering using a quick hitch on a mower.

My JD has a cheap Hrbor freight quick hitch and I only have to get off to hook up PTO shaft. My draw bar does slide but I do not have an issue with it hitting the PTO shaft. The PATS system uses the existing ball on the lift arm so it does not change the height.

I agree about the three point hitch hookups being a beast. Rotary mowers are far worse to hook up than bush hogs which at least are directly behind the tractor instead of offset. And the bush hog wheel at the back allows relatively easy shifting side to side.

The trail type Vermeer TM1400 appears to be a 2 point hookup. I've never been closer to one than these pictures. Click on photos.

http://vermeernw.com/new-equipment/agri ... ers/tm1400

The MacDon 5000 has a plate that bolts to the tractor drawbar with a Cat II pin sticking up. Back the tractor up to the moco. Lower the jack to let the ball in the tongue down over the Cat II pin, install the lynch pin and you are hooked on.

I can see the day coming when the ball welded to the tongue will need replacement.

M-5":2dshv722 said:
pricefarm":2dshv722 said:
I don't understand the big deal with hooking up a disc mower. Not that hard if u back up to it straight.

I don't either. My neighbor always called me to come help him as it took a minimum of an hour for him to do it buy himself. the last time he got ready to cut it loose I told him to let me help . he was setting it on pallets and using a 10x10 block under the jack stand . It was out of level when he cut loose and you had to use a floor jack. after I grabbed 3 6x6x24 blocks and put one on end one under skid and one under jack and he set it down the pins were level and lift arms slipped off with ease. He had been doing it his way for over 10yrs. when I went to hook up this yr it was 5 min and done. I will say the New Holland is more difficult than my john deere but I can fix that with a couple of PAT's quick connect left arm hitchs. that will make it about 20sec hook up.

It takes me about five min to hook up to our new Krone or our old Walton. The key to either one is to unhook it on a level spot.

hillbilly beef man":1gtge3nv said:
It takes me about five min to hook up to our new Krone or our old Walton. The key to either one is to unhook it on a level spot.

Level spot? Didn't know you had those in Tennessee!!!!!!!

cfpinz":2o3ce9v8 said:
hillbilly beef man":2o3ce9v8 said:

Level spot? Didn't know you had those in Tennessee!!!!!!!
Theys a few around, but the good
Lord might have had a little help from a dozer to make them. :D

Latest posts