Thinking about new hay cutter??

Help Support CattleToday:

coalburner

Reaction score
I am considering a new hay cutter as my newest cutter is 12 years old. I've narrowed it down to a Krone or a Kuhn? Closest dealer has Kuhn(25 miles) and Krone is about 40. Was told by the salesman the Krone can be pulled by smaller tractor (shaft drive instead of belts). The tractor I'll be pulling it with will be 4230 JD or 1086 International. Opinions??? Oh the cutters I was looking at is the 8 drum or 10ft variety. Thanks in advance.

We have ran a 9' 2" krone for a couple of years and have been tickled to death with it. It is left on a 5085E and it pulls it with little effort.

Either of your tractors should pull either mower just fine. I wouldn't suggest over 10 mph though.

Ran a Krone ten years sold it in 2011 and the fellow is still using it in
his custom hay biz. It was the most trouble free piece of hay equipment I owned, all I ever did was replace the cutter blades.

hillbilly beef man":1x38ihbo said:
We have ran a 9' 2" krone for a couple of years and have been tickled to death with it. It is left on a 5085E and it pulls it with little effort.

How does your tractor handle that size mower on hills? I have about the same size tractor 5525 JD and would think a 9 ft would be to much.

pricefarm":29npirz0 said:
hillbilly beef man":29npirz0 said:

How does your tractor handle that size mower on hills? I have about the same size tractor 5525 JD and would think a 9 ft would be to much.

Fine as long as your rear tires are filled. We have pulled it with dads 5510 and it actually does a little better than the 5085. I would like to try a 10 ft on the 5510, would probaly do fine as easy as it handles a 9 foot.

coalburner":2bgs4jp7 said:
I am considering a new hay cutter as my newest cutter is 12 years old. I've narrowed it down to a Krone or a Kuhn? Closest dealer has Kuhn(25 miles) and Krone is about 40. Was told by the salesman the Krone can be pulled by smaller tractor (shaft drive instead of belts). The tractor I'll be pulling it with will be 4230 JD or 1086 International. Opinions??? Oh the cutters I was looking at is the 8 drum or 10ft variety. Thanks in advance.
Went thru the same decision last year. I ended up with a Kuhn because of more dealers here for parts and got a better price. Heard good things about Krone though.

I have a Kuhn GMD 700 g ii hd and its been great cutter Its time to replace the belts Can someone give me the steps to replace the belts or share a PDF file for a service / repair manual all help will be greatly appreciated. For some reason I'm struggling getting them on.

SoILcattle":1k09abyz said:
True Grit Farms":1k09abyz said:
Whatever you cutter you buy it either needs to be a trail mower or on a caddy.

Why is this? I prefer ours on the 3 pt

3 pt hitch can be a royal pain to hook up especially if you're by yourself. Caddy or trailed... All you have to do is back up and drop a pin.

Well I used to run my grandpa's on a caddy and now run ours off the 3 pt and wouldn't go back.
Lots of turning around and reversing in our hay fields. We just leave the mower on the tractor most times.

SoILcattle":fmfy7w9r said:
Well I used to run my grandpa's on a caddy and now run ours off the 3 pt and wouldn't go back.
Lots of turning around and reversing in our hay fields. We just leave the mower on the tractor most times.

I'll cut circles around you with my Vermeer trail mower. But to each their own, if it's not broke don't fix it.

True Grit Farms":1u1erm6b said:
SoILcattle":1u1erm6b said:

I'll cut circles around you with my Vermeer trail mower. But to each their own, if it's not broke don't fix it.

I now run a MacDon 5000 16' pull type conventional moco with conditioner. But for covering a lot of acres fast, and if you don't care about conditioning or making windrows, it's still hard to beat an old school sickle bar mower :idea:

Rowse mower spec page claims their 18' mowers can cover 10+ acres/hr @ 5mph. 17+ acres/hr @ 8 mph. Same as any other machinery, new sickle mowers are more expensive than they used to be, but still a lot of bang for the buck. IMO this is the reason a lot of new ones are still being sold :2cents:

http://www.rowserakes.com/pto-drive-dou ... wer-specs/

I've always been intrigued by the "Baler Connection" sold by the JD dealer. I've seen some on their lot, but I don't know anyone who owns one. Looks like it would be an awesome combination to rake and bale at the same time covering a lot of acres fast with one tractor and operator. Maybe in my younger days. Having the baler behind the rake would just too much stuff for me to keep an eye on :p

http://balerconnection.com/diagrams/

True Grit Farms":wpy19o28 said:
SoILcattle":wpy19o28 said:

How exactly does moving the mower from 3 pt to trail type make it so much faster mowing? We can already now faster than the fields will allow us to, and the 3 pt will turn around and be back in the hay quicker.

John SD":57160kzf said:
I've always been intrigued by the "Baler Connection" sold by the JD dealer. I've seen some on their lot, but I don't know anyone who owns one. Looks like it would be an awesome combination to rake and bale at the same time covering a lot of acres fast with one tractor and operator. Maybe in my younger days. Having the baler behind the rake would just too much stuff for me to keep an eye on :p

http://balerconnection.com/diagrams/

That's pretty cool.

I could see that driveshaft and support tube giving trouble in big windrows, though.

SoILcattle":1yl7eifd said:
True Grit Farms":1yl7eifd said:
SoILcattle":1yl7eifd said:

How exactly does moving the mower from 3 pt to trail type make it so much faster mowing? We can already now faster than the fields will allow us to, and the 3 pt will turn around and be back in the hay quicker.

I understand the point True Grit is getting at. While 3 pt mount mowers might do well in small odd shaped hayfields such as creek bottoms, road ditches or hay corrals, they are limited in size and the capacity to cover the acres compared to a trail mower. In a square hay field with no obstacles, I would chose a trail mower over a 3 point mount every time.

The math tells me at the same field speed I will make half the turns and cover twice the ground with a 18 ft mower vs a 9 mower. That means I get done twice as fast, and have opportunity to go on to the next phase of hay harvest.

Seems there was thread here some time back about trailed disc mowers. I admire the disc mowers every time I drive past the Vermeer dealer lot 8) But then reality sets in :lol: I hope I can keep my old MacDon running for as long as I'm making hay.

http://vermeernw.com/new-equipment/agri ... ers/tm1400

I agree, In large open flat ground a 18' trail cutter would most definitely out now a our 10" disk mower, but here it would never work you couldn't get it to into or drag it around most of the fields around here.

I'm just saying there not the answer for every situation

Latest posts