Thinking about clubbies.

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
I've been thinking about raising a few clubby calves for a while now. I started thinking about the option of keeping a "separate" herd that was only "showy" genetics. I really want my main herd to stay with the no-show, rugged, maternal genetics that they currently have. But I have the equipment, passion, and a little experience to show clubby cattle. Someone suggested that I simply stick with fairly maternal genetics from the show side of the industry to get calves that are clubby int heir look and have some hair. I was thinking along the lines of shorthorns and maybe even some 1/8 or 1/4 Maine and Chi bulls. What do y'all think?
Thanks,
Cade

I like clubby looking cattle. In fact we are going more in that direction. With that said my cow herd must remain maternal and functional. If they are not I quit. I may have the occaisional cow that her offspring may need a nurse cow, or a myriad of other problems but she will have to produce some real money in the ring in order to keep her. I'm not talking abot a 1000.00 steer either. I'm talking about offspring that will bring upwards of 3000.00 otherwise I see no reason of keeping that cow. So yes I want both. At times I will even stick embryos in the cows that may be excellent yet not produce a "show steer'

Avalon":1pr7inqr said:
I like clubby looking cattle. In fact we are going more in that direction. With that said my cow herd must remain maternal and functional. If they are not I quit. I may have the occaisional cow that her offspring may need a nurse cow, or a myriad of other problems but she will have to produce some real money in the ring in order to keep her. I'm not talking abot a 1000.00 steer either. I'm talking about offspring that will bring upwards of 3000.00 otherwise I see no reason of keeping that cow. So yes I want both. At times I will even stick embryos in the cows that may be excellent yet not produce a "show steer'
OK, that makes sense to me. Actually, it would be great if I could produce cattle worth some good money. I actually have a couple people offering embryos that would be some good maternal cows and yet have those clubby qualities. If you don't mind, could you share or PM me the bulls that you use?
Thanks.

We are currently taking our smaller framed showy looking females and breeding them to SVF Star Power a Simmi Bull. I was shooting for heifers but mainly got bulls this year. Surprisingly enough some of these bulls calves will be good enough for show steers. All have enough power to register and be sold as SimxAngus herd bulls. My hope is to get enough females with this type of breeding then cross with the true "clubby" bulls. We have also used Money shot on a few of the really deep cows. More later

What kind of cows do you have? Why are you picking Shorthorn? For the hair? I don't think you'll be happy with SH. They look good when young but are hard doers and that's not something you want if you started with a decent herd. A good crossbred bull on most any decent cow will produce something saleable.

I've heard a lot of people "in the know" talk about Monopoly, and say he is really throwing some great calves. I've seen pictures of a few calves that really stood out, but then again it was just a couple and they were just pictures.

I'm also a fan of Hoo Doo bred charolais. They are good cattle first and foremost, but sure do raise some awesome show calves. They are the type of cows that just work. I recently saw a group of females that had calves at side by a number of different bulls, and everyone of those calves was nice. The one non-longhorn I own is a Johnny Walker Red daughter out of a 14 year old Hoo Doo cow. She is good heifer, not the most "showy" but will for sure be able to raise some show quality calves.

Here is a link to Hoo Doo Prince. I've seen some real nice calves by him. The rare kind that are showy, but also work well in the real world. The general consensus on him is that he "soften ups" those hard-doing show bred cattle.

http://www.cattle.com/semen/bulls/Hoo+Doo+Prince.aspx

Ryan

iowahawkeyes":2nisf5ky said:
What kind of cows do you have? Why are you picking Shorthorn? For the hair? I don't think you'll be happy with SH. They look good when young but are hard doers and that's not something you want if you started with a decent herd. A good crossbred bull on most any decent cow will produce something saleable.
Some THICK, DEEP, soggy 'ol cows. :D With not much hair to speak of. But, if the SH will cancel out what I have worked for, you're right. I'd be ticked. Also, Ryan, I appreciate about the Hoo Doo Chars. I have heard some good things about them in clubby circles but it is comforting to know that they have "real world" qualities.

iowahawkeyes":2yrlzn7q said:

How are shorthorns "hard doers" when they get old.. from what we've seen they're better than most of the rest we've had

Clubby cattle and beef producing cattle are two different animals. The clubby heifers would never make it in the real cow herd world and most steers have a hard time grading out when you hang them on the rail. If you could figure out something to do with all that hair when your are done showing them then you may have a way to make money.

Nesikep":1ihj6hnd said:
iowahawkeyes":1ihj6hnd said:

How are shorthorns "hard doers" when they get old.. from what we've seen they're better than most of the rest we've had

I've talked about this subject many times. When I'm refering to SH, it is in the context of "clubby" SH. Most of the time they look awesome as a calf and by the time they have their first calf they suck, because they aren't pampered anymore. All hair, no substance. We have raised club calves, this is from experience. Clubby SH best days are as calves.

I saw you SH cross cow, she's nice. Probably doesn't have any clubby genetics in her does she?

It is a different game, said it over and over again.

blackcowz":1rc30q1f said:
Bump. Let's get some input. I hear Jakes Proud Jazz is a good one????

i think your new adventure would be a fun one. but i have heard from a bunch of people that this is a really good bull. his ofspring seem to be very solid calves. and ive heard johnnyh walker red and gold rush throw some good ones too.

grand chaser09":bnvgd7pa said:
blackcowz":bnvgd7pa said:
Bump. Let's get some input. I hear Jakes Proud Jazz is a good one????

i think your new adventure would be a fun one. but i have heard from a bunch of people that this is a really good bull. his ofspring seem to be very solid calves. and ive heard johnnyh walker red and gold rush throw some good ones too.

I've got a Johnny Walker Red heifer that is really nice. Not the showiest but will be a good cow. He is not the biggest bull around, so he needs to be bred to cows that have some frame. One gentleman I know summed Johnny Walker Red up pretty good with one sentence regarding his offspring: "They won't set the world on fire with their size, but they have more than enough umph to get them by."

I've always been a fan of that bull.

Don't know much about Gold Rush.

Ryan

Clubby is almost a dirty word around here, but we like to play the game. We are more Maine influenced (another teeth grinder to some people) but we like our Maine and 50% Maine cows. We have people come by and think we have the best Angus cows they have ever seen…lol

The more we look at the players in the club world and some of the big breeders who sell for the high dollar they use some bigger cows. I guess a person has to remember what their goal is.

I think it would be the best of both worlds if you already had cattle for your operation and wanted to play the club game on the side.

We have some DCC THE MAN, Legacy Plus, Money Man, Sooner, Dr. Who as well as some older bulls RB8W, Executive...ect.

We like raising show animals but we buy older cows that can throw a calf like nature intended. Some of your big composite clubby bulls throw terminal only type of animals, but that is what they were designed to do and yes you get to design the look you like. Like we say do what makes you happy and get LOTS OF HAIR on them.

Latest posts