Think they'll like em?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Been busy preparing turkeys for some deserving folks. Got half of them delivered today and the rest will be delivered tommorrow. I'm about wore out but after the required taste test of one sacrificial bird I think it was worth the trouble and maybe a few people will have a little better Thanksgiving than they might otherwise have had.

IMG_4040.jpg

Jogeephus":2syl5fuf said:
Been busy preparing turkeys for some deserving folks. Got half of them delivered today and the rest will be delivered tommorrow. I'm about wore out but after the required taste test of one sacrificial bird I think it was worth the trouble and maybe a few people will have a little better Thanksgiving than they might otherwise have had.

IMG_4040.jpg

looks good
i've been tempted to smoke a turkey
do you brine ?
what temp and how long ?
any tips you want to share ?

Yeah I think they will like'm.

Very nice. Good looking birds. How much they weigh?

The birds averaged 12-13 lbs. I did brine them roughly 24 hours prior to smoking. I used this brine. If you have large plastic bags it will take a 1/2 gallon of brine per bird. I didn't have the refrigerator space so I loaded them in coolers and it took roughly a gallon of brine per bird. (Its helpful to know this cause you want to make your brine before hand so it will be cool when you pour it over the bird)

• 1 gallon water
• 1 cup pickling salt
• 1 oz tender quick (2 tbsp)
• 1 cup cane syrup or honey (I used syrup cause I had plenty)
• 3 bay leaves
• 1/4 tsp ground cloves
• 1/2 tsp pickling spice

I smoked them using a 80/20 mix of oak and pecan at 225-250 degrees until the internal temp of the inner thigh was 165.(there is a lot of varying opinions on this temp. USDA says 180 and some people say 160) This took about 5-6 hours.

Tips. Always let the bird rest for 20 -30 minutes before cutting unless of course its the sacrificial bird. ;-) Also, be sure to rinse the brined bird off both inside and out after you take it out of the brine otherwise the bird may pull in the outside salt when it breathes and could become too salty.

I smoked the turkey breast for the small side of the family Thanksgiving yesterday, too. Color came out really beautiful. Can't wait to slice her up tomorrow night!

farmwriter":2a323l4m said:
I smoked the turkey breast for the small side of the family Thanksgiving yesterday, too. Color came out really beautiful. Can't wait to slice her up tomorrow night!

Do you go by temp? If so, what do you prefer?

I worried over that just the first few times I cooked them, but I've never smoked a whole turkey, either.
Since just the breast is fairly small (about 7 pounds) and all white meat, I build me one big chimney of coals, and add green hickory (and nuts) and slices of apple when my smoke gets low and just keep at it till my fire peters out (about 4 hours). As soon as I take the hot meat off the smoker, I wrap it in a double layer of heavy foil, which to my mind ought to ensure the bird is completely cooked thru. And I always do it a day or two ahead of time, so I'm not tracking in and out of the house while I'm cooking the day guests arrive.
I'm sure the USDA and hardcore BBQ folks would disapprove of the method, but it's always cooked thru and always moist and flavorful, and frankly way easier than I let on when folks talk about how good it is. ;-) Works for me.

Jogeephus-I smoked them using a 80/20 mix of oak and pecan at 225-250 degrees until the internal temp of the inner thigh was 165.(there is a lot of varying opinions on this temp. USDA says 180 and some people say 160) This took about 5-6 hours.

Well Jo in my opinion you are not far off by letting the bird rest 20-30 minutes after you rmove it from the smoker it is still cooking and the temperature is still rising. Therefore I would surmise that if you checked the high point of the temperature again about fifteen minutes after removing from the smoker it would be 170 degrees or better. JMHO
BTW they look delicious.
Thanks for thinking of others.
Happy Thanksgiving

Looks good Jo and I know whoever gets them will be blessed including "you". PM me and I'll give you my shipping address. :lol2:

They look great Jo.
I was thinking about trying to smoke one of my turkeys, now I will try your recipe.
Got 3 birds to do.

Latest posts