Think she will make milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bessie must've known I was having troubles.
She brought Val and Ford up today. Got em caught, sorted off. She's done a FINE job with these two!
20220807_125602.jpg
This drought has not helped at all. Bessie has lost some condition. Gonna feed her a while.
20220807_120852.jpg
Feed her you say? But why? U took her 2 calves. That should help right?
20220807_112850.jpg
Yep!
Geronimo got a green cheerio and a tag after that stunt he pulled earlier. Got my rope and drug Sevens 2nd calf in the pen. Seven should pick back up a little with only one calf to raise.
Bessie has always been a problem solver.
I should really just quit creating problems huh?

Here's a couple pics of Bessies Big Babies. Put em on the south acre with my Feeder Heifer and Opal. I'm sure there's gonna be noise made this evening.....
20220807_130358.jpg20220807_130304.jpg20220807_125722.jpg20220807_130316.jpg

Last edited:
Bessie the bester-est cow in the whole wide world!
20220807_172922.jpg20220807_172846.jpg
Need a lil more bunk space. That's Bessies 2 in the middle for size comparison. Opal and Bougie Brown on the right. Lil 'Nuf and black baldy from Brandy on left.
20220807_173059.jpg
And yes!
The bawling has begun!
Ford is very vocal about it too...

Well...
It's not all peaches and cream.
Bessie is kinda grumpy about it, but they are sly to her. They nurse while she's eating. Her tummy overrides her grumpyness. 😆

Geronimo is quite aggressive about it. He dodges and ducks and weaves til she gives up. Then Sevens 2nd sneaks in there too.

Probly gonna have em penned a couple weeks. We will see how it goes. Didn't try this last year. Gave her a pretty good break. Wish we still had some good grass.

Well...
It's not all peaches and cream.
Bessie is kinda grumpy about it, but they are sly to her. They nurse while she's eating. Her tummy overrides her grumpyness. 😆

Geronimo is quite aggressive about it. He dodges and ducks and weaves til she gives up. Then Sevens 2nd sneaks in there too.

Probly gonna have em penned a couple weeks. We will see how it goes. Didn't try this last year. Gave her a pretty good break. Wish we still had some good grass.

All good stuff...let her raise 4 to 6 a year for you and that's as much as a guy can ask for...heck at 6 a year you could afford to feed her stuff from Tractor Supply...please don't, but you get the idea

Not a great picture here. But she's coming around to the idea.
I'm certainly surprised there has been no jailbreaks from either side. Bessies 2 are restrained by 5 strands of hot wire, only about as tall as they are! Not 200 feet from Bessies pen with her 2 new ones.
They are not bawling near as much already. There must be something to this fenceline weaning thing. Just really easy to get along with animals too I reckon helps a lot. (I know. That was a garbled up sentence! 🤣)
And feed. Lots of danged expensive feed!
O! And her 2 have lots of company too. Brandy's 3 are with them. And they are super calm and gentle. And unbelievably, NO ONE IS NURSING EACH OTHER!! Or Opal! My bred jersey heifer.
Sometimes all the stars align....
20220809_181242.jpg

I always fenceline wean my calves because neither the cow nor the calf are too upset as long as they can still see each other. The calves will holler for the first day, usually, but sometimes not even that long, because there's new things to see and do on the other side of the fence. The compost pile is over there, and you know, THAT needs killin'! LOL! Compost piles are evil. 😈

I'm pretty danged amazed they haven't escaped. Really!
I mean they're only restrained by hot wire. The first 2 days was iffy. They'd run from the other end all the way up to those hot wires and just stop! I think if mama was not penned it'd be different tho.

No nursing of each other going on. I was really worried Lil 'Nuf would try Opal. All good tho!

They are all grazing contently on short short grass. Good hay. And feed twice a day.

Gotta make a plan soon. I've got way too many critters. 😕
Not gonna lie, I'm gonna be pretty sad when Lil 'Nuf sells. She's such a sweet friendly lil heifer. I've ALMOST thought about keeping her and seeing if she will breed. (Twin to a bull calf remember?) That may just prolong the inevitable tho.

Moonlight grazing pic here. Only a few of em.
20220811_210112.jpg
And a few minutes later...
Guess this one could go in @Ouachita cloud pic thread
20220811_210842.jpg

Last edited:
O what fun!
Always like turning em out and watching for a few.
Hauled her 1st two calves today. Steer sells. Heifer went to grass.

Bessie is such a great mother! She stopped before heading out, turned around and called to her kids. Then out they went!
🙂🙂🙂🙂
20220820_111856.jpg20220820_111906.jpg20220820_111912.jpg20220820_111915.jpg
I'll update after a while whith what her steer weighed. He's been off her for 2 weeks. Eating creep and hay.
Lil' Nuf is selling today too. I'll update in Brandys thread later too.

They weigh more than I thought. 4 calves weighed 2430lbs
And Lil 'Nuf can't be 400lbs

Last edited:
Math was off.
I fat fingered 1000 lbs. The 4 calves weighed 1430
The 2 heifers I turned on grass today weigh about 362lbs. That's Bessies born heifer and number 180. They were not 6 months old when I pulled em to put 2 more on. Like 5 months plus

I'll still feed em twice a week

Ford weighed 455 and brought plenty

I'll update Brandys thread w Lil 'Nuf

Look who came looking for me this morning.
He's no dummy! He wanted his bottle! And it's been 2 weeks. But he knew the routine and came for help.
Walked right up to us while I was getting morning feedstuffs ready. I look around the corner and Bessie is standing at the pen waiting. Bag about to bust! Shes not been doing her job. 😔
Sevens second I've been watching. She's nursing anything that'll stand. Ahhh. Such is life.
20220821_085626.jpg20220821_085557.jpg
Guess I'll pen em a bit longer.
20220821_090649.jpg
But hey guess what! It's finally raining!
I didn't even mind messing around with em in the rain!

Latest posts