Think she will make milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

So Bessies calves are 5 months or so now.
Bessie is in amazing shape for raising 3 calves. I swore I wasnt but......
I got a new orphan bull calf that WILL NOT take a bottle.
He did drink from a bucket tho.
Can we see where this is going?

Gotta keep everyone on their toes!

My original plan was to put the lil bull on the mama that lost hers. Calf was too big to handle the way I wanted to. And Snow hates any calf that ain't hers.

So we made lemonade!

Bessie wants out. Calf seems fuller this morning. Bessies own heifer doesnt seem to mind too much. She came up this morning to visit mama. Then casually went to grazing while Bessie chowed down. Thing #2 came to see mama as well. Thing 2 and Thing 3 are robbers. Seen em both stealing from anyone who will allow it. They are plenty big to wean now.

Guess since I've went ahead and done this, I should find a second one for Ol Bessie....
🤪
20210815_071218.jpg
Big Red on the left. Bessies own heifer. And thing 2

Last edited:
Told you back when you got her she would be a good one for you..... just had that feeling....

How long bred is she? I would be careful to give her a second one if she is far along bred....let her put it all into one at this point and you won't have to supplement....if you put a second on her you might have to supplement more to keep her condition and her milk up. If not far along then yes, a 2nd one... and let her feed them to weaning, for her rest before she is due to calve. I have one like that now... she is hol/jer x and a sweetheart... took on orphan from my son's heifer that prolapsed and died.... right after I weaned off 3 of hers (st 450 lbs average each)and sold them.... she will keep "roscoe" until she goes dry to calve. Just out on pasture with him and he looks pretty good. Pastures are drying up with the drought conditions but they are calling for some rain this week... desperately need it.

Told you back when you got her she would be a good one for you..... just had that feeling....

How long bred is she? I would be careful to give her a second one if she is far along bred....let her put it all into one at this point and you won't have to supplement....if you put a second on her you might have to supplement more to keep her condition and her milk up. If not far along then yes, a 2nd one... and let her feed them to weaning, for her rest before she is due to calve. I have one like that now... she is hol/jer x and a sweetheart... took on orphan from my son's heifer that prolapsed and died.... right after I weaned off 3 of hers (st 450 lbs average each)and sold them.... she will keep "roscoe" until she goes dry to calve. Just out on pasture with him and he looks pretty good. Pastures are drying up with the drought conditions but they are calling for some rain this week... desperately need it.
I'm gonna guess 3 months or so bred. Guess now that I've penned her, I could have her checked at the vet. I really like the idea of just letting her raise this one and run with it!

I may see if I can get Thing 2 caught to pen with em. He was a twin and while he has done good for what he is, he could stand to have the milk a while more.

I agree on the rain. Gonna get bad if we dont get a drop or two soon.

We will see how this goes.
This is quite possibly the DUMBEST or maybe the smartest calf I've ever come across.
Hes still alive anyway.
I have not seen him nurse since that picture. I fed Bessie just a bit ago and literally took a teat and put it in his mouth!!

Hes either nursing when I ain't looking.
Gave up for some unknown reason.
Or hes just DUMBER than a box of rocks!

I know one thing, he ain't keeping up with milk production! Her bag is BIG! And she just came in off pasture yesterday. Shes got enough milk, shes dripping again.
Hmmmmm

Twas a good day!
And a sad day at the same time.
Thing 1,2,and 3 went to their new home today.

I don't feel right posting numbers but she paid for herself and the 2 bought calves and the feed.
And I feel like eating ribeye for a few weeks....

I do have another calf I've been bottling.
NAHHH! She deserves a rest.

Here they are. A finished product in their new weaning shed for a couple weeks.
They are gonna be pretty spoiled where they went. She done a fine job!
I expect her to calve around February this time. She was in such good condition when I put her with Richard, I'm almost positive she bred immediately. February can be pretty brutal here. I'll pen her up like last time and hope I can find her a 2nd next year. In the mean time, shes on vacation!! Yay!!
20211002_183224.jpg
These 3 have 8 acres of amazing grass that hasn't been grazed in ages. I expect they will do well til first freeze.

Thought for sure you would have kept her heifer... she is looking more "dairy" as she gets older... Ought to make a good cow for someone else...
I can't wait to get these knees done and get my milk cows back, off the dairy where they are, next year and start raising calves again...

@farmerjan I certainly went round and round and round on weather I should keep that heifer or not.
Bottom line. I just dont want the marking/coloring on the calves.
And someone wanted her much more than I did.

And I've got Opal!! Lol

I've got an eye on a 4 year old black jersey. But they want way too much for her. Something else will come along....

Latest posts