Well.
Theres this....
Looks like possibly a brand??
Sure looks like an O
20210512_180721.jpg
Shes slicking off that winter hair.
I like it!
20210512_180727.jpg
Calves are keeping her nursed. They seem to be doing ok. Some good lil grass pickers too!

This category of the forum doesnt get explored a lot. Last post was wayyy back on October. Figured I'd go buy a "milk cow" and liven the place up.

Just picked up this gal fairly cheap. 5x5
I think shes got a bit of jersey. My thoughts are to put a couple extras on her after she calves. Have to see how she does I guess.
What yall think?

Dont pay any mind to the aspiring pot farmer neighbors...
View attachment 2068View attachment 2069
Guess I would be asking why they sold her if she was bred?

Limousine is a great cross on Jersey. I don't think there's as much Longhorn in her as the color would suggest. Whatever you do, don't take that calf to the sale barn. She's a much better animal than you'll get paid for.
Hey thanks!
I've been mulling it over. Cant help but wonder how much milk she will make.
If she will be as easy going as her mama. What her calves will look like. You know, all that stuff.
Hate to eat her..
Maybe she can be a long term project/experiment..

Thing 3 discovered theres more than one mama in the pasture....
He was going to town with that lil red heifer. Couldnt get a pic fast enough. Mama shoved him away when she discovered what was up. Lol!
This cow.. she lost her first calf.
I spent about 3 weeks putting a bottle calf on her. Shes done a great job ever since. Her daddy was miniature dexter bull but doesnt show it. Makes gobs n gobs of milk tho!20210608_200258.jpg

Many times I have found that calves fostered onto cows will also be willing to steal off other cows.... and cows that will take a "replacement" calf will allow other calves to steal off them.
That said, I have a group of 1st calf heifers, that I see co-parenting calves all the time. Some seem to be more tolerant than others; but we have lots of cows that I will see several calves on when out to pasture checking them. It has helped on a few occasions when we have lost a cow, the calf will often get enough to eat stealing so that they grow decent enough. Sometimes the pastures are not convenient to get the orphaned calf out of. Not ideal, but you do what you can.

Yup! :) I like to have it around because the leaves will stop bleeding, and in the summer, I'm always getting a cut or gash on something. And sometimes a cow comes in with some kind of injury (we have thorny wild plums here). Grab a few yarrow leaves to press on it and the bleeding stops right quick. It's good for lots of other things, too, but clumsy me, I appreciate the blood clotting properties. ;)

So thing 3 has 2 mamas.
He was nursing Bessie yesterday with his 2 siblings. Lol
Caught him with Rowdy gurl and her heifer again today. Maybe he will grow a bit better now. Rowdy makes plenty. I've always thought enough for 2 calves. If I catch Rowdys heifer on Bessie I'm a crack the hell up!
20210617_173105.jpg

Guess I was wrong, AGAIN..
Thing 3 has 3 mamas apparently.
Caught him with one of my favorites today, Ditto. Shes the sweetest gal, maybe sweeter than my bottle baby Seven.
20210621_180953.jpg
Speaking of...
Seven is like, "do u believe this shat? He gets 3 mamas and I got NONE. REALLY?!?"
20210621_180910.jpg

Often a calf that is grafted on a cow will be opportunistic and go on any cow that will stand. I see it all the time. They figure, hey, free nurse bar..... You may have trouble getting it weaned and keeping it off lactating cows in the future... I have one now that was dam raised, but did suck other cows, and was sucking a nursing first calf heifer, while she has a calf also.... candidate to sell...

Latest posts