Think she will make milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

Murry, we're practically neighbors. Take a drive sometime and I'll buy you lunch - or a beer.
I've been thinking about going to Winfield on Wednesday. I dont think I'll make it tho. Its twice as far as Stillwater. I'll be gathering animals for the Thursday sale in Enid, next week. Prices didnt look bad at winfield yesterday!

About 3 and half hours northy....
😀 anything cool in madill?
Madill is where about half of the horse trailer manufacturers in the country are. I have friends who deliver to dealerships... like Kenny does.... close to me. If you was close to Madill, I thought that along about September, I ought to just buy that cow off of you! 😎 One of them could haul her in a stock trailer they were transporting.

I've been thinking about going to Winfield on Wednesday. I dont think I'll make it tho. Its twice as far as Stillwater. I'll be gathering animals for the Thursday sale in Enid, next week. Prices didnt look bad at winfield yesterday!
If you ever decide to bring them to Winfield, call first so they'll add them as early consignments and generate more interest. Include all shots and Justin will talk them up.

Ooo yeah huh?
I think J and I mfg is down there.

U think I'll be having a new project by September? 😂😂
Well, I figure those 3 will be weaned by then, and you might be thinking how happy it would make you, for the ole gal to not have to go through anymore winters like y'all have! And me being the awesome, stand-up guy I am, figured I could just help you and her out. :)

We got brushed out this evening! She was skeptical at first, but I got her from her ears to her tail! Never kicked once! Antsy a bit, yes, but no kicking. Brushed a handful of hair out. Shes shedding some with the warm weather we've had coming on. So happy to not see ribs!
Appears shes making enough milk. Thing 1,2,and 3 seems to be doing ok so far.
The newest, Thing 3, has really been pounding the milk, but seems to have leveled out and they have a routine I guess. I'll probly turn em all out in the morning. 😥
20210402_180330.jpg

Ok so I'm not trying 4 on Bessie.
My big sweetheart Brown Cow didnt want anything to do with this mess. Go figure!

But I've seen Big Bertha let 2 nurse so shes been penned all night. I trailer weaned her calf Monday. Sent a pic to me neighbor.....
Ever seen a cow have a second calf seven months after her last one??? 😳😳😳

Bucket of feed to occupy her and VOILA!!
20210408_072454.jpg
Bessie was not amused...
Hey! That's my job!
20210408_074327.jpg

Bessie and her litter of mutts are getting along pretty good. I guess milk production is ok. Tho, to me, her bag looks small. Guess my bag would be smaller if I had 3 tugging on it all the time too tho!
20210410_075028.jpg
They follow her everywhere
And when they're not, they are almost always bedded down together.
20210410_075157.jpg
Bertha and her foster heifer are getting along pretty good now too. Getting the routine figured out. I feed mama twice a day like Bessie and baby goes right to nursing.
Bertha was NOT happy about this the first day after being penned. She snuck under the panels and got out. Had a hard time getting her caught the second time. But shes been settling a bit. We had to have a talk, her and I. Shes getting a bit of age on her and her toes are not the greatest. I told her if she raises this calf I'll keep around awhile. She tries that crap again and just sell her and buy some milk or her replacement.
She got that look in her eyes..
Seemed to comprende 😉

Last edited:
Lil heifer was thinking about nursing this morning b4 I fed mama. Mama just couldnt stand still long enough. Anxiety gets the best of her while waiting for food. She paces.

Bertha has always made plenty of milk. Honestly I think she could raise 2 on pasture alone. I'm considering buying her a 2nd one and trying this fall after she calves.
20210411_080234.jpg
Milk Face!!
20210411_080327.jpg
I thought this lil heifer was older than she was. Shes HUGE for still having a dry umbi.
I didnt notice anything spectacular about her birth mother b4 they split her off. Not even sure why they split her off. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Cow might have had mastitis or a dead quarter or 2. Had a cow one time with a nice looking udder.... and when the calf got weak after a few days, checked the cow and she had 3 squirts of milk in the whole udder. We brought them home form the pasture, gave the calf a bottle which she inhaled. Kept them separate and the next morning tried the cow... had about 3 squirts again..... no milk..... she went down the road and calf wound up on a nurse cow.

I finally caught Big Bertha letting the foster calf nurse without feed. Shes got loads of milk. I'm very hesitant about turning them out tho. Sampling the alfalfa with mama....
20210418_075453.jpg
Bessie had to stop eating for a drink but her babies are all waiting patiently....

Made a rough decision. While Bertha is feeding the lil black heifer, shes got to be meanest beach I've seen. She doesnt kick while nursing. But for no apparent reason just shoves her across the pen with her head. Or up against the panels.

Play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.
I'm pretty stubborn, but I won't allow that kind of treatment to prove a point.
So long Bertha!
20210419_181536.jpg

I'll update on Bessie from time to time. Bless her heart, she just ain't got enough milk for 4...
The lil black heifer will show up in my bottle calf thread. Shes such a lil sweetheart.

You are over thinking it with Bessie and the 3 calves. She looks good, go back and look at her picture at the beginning of this thread. The calves will not get roly poly fat like a single beef calf, but they look good and if they are starting to eat some feed then they will be fine. I think you ought to keep her heifer, and when you breed her, (AI to a jersey of course) ..... she might well be able to raise 2 calves with the jersey in her background. If I had my knees done already, I would have 7 nurse cows in the barn with calves on all of them. But they are on the dairy and a couple are already bred back.... to calve again this fall right about the time I am getting the knees replaced. So they will stay there for another lactation... which is fine. I am lucky that I have contacts with the dairy farmers so getting calves is not a problem. Knees get done and I get back to a real life.... then I will get them back from the dairy as they go dry the next time....
I think that you might have gotten bertha to be more accepting, but it could have taken time to learn to tolerate the calf better. But then she might have hurt it too....
FACE IT, BESSIE MAE has spoiled you. I thought maybe she would be a good cow when you bought her.... never dreamed she would be this good..... count your blessings.....

Bessie certainly has spoiled me! Lol
I got sooo lucky with her I think. I've found another about 2 hours from home, just having a hard time pulling the trigger. Twice the price too!

I sure went round and round about Bertha. Do I turn em out? Not turn em out? Coccidiosis? Or no? Is she just mad about being penned? I'm almost certain calf was nursing during the day somehow.

I know one thing, if she would've hurt this heifer I would've never forgiven myself.

Latest posts