Think she will make milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

Yesterday evening right outta the truck and on to mama while she eats.
View attachment 2877
These 2 are similar in size. And this calf is a week or so older. Maybe 2 weeks. He was a twin.
View attachment 2878
And this morning while being fed. He got in the trailer overnight and couldnt figure out how to get back out. Mama and her calf were both standing by the trailer with him mooing like crazy. I fed mama and scooped him up and shoved him under there...
View attachment 2879
Honestly, I'm in udder disbelief!
She has even licked on him a time or two.
That's great! That's a huge relief I'm sure. Sounds like that momma knows she is in a good place and wants to earn her keep.

I think you hit a home run there. So glad she took the calf and that the calf is a few days old helps, since it knows what to do. That is always a plus....Bless her heart... she knows she has a good thing there....and I think she is appreciative of it in the only way she knows how.

I think you hit a home run there. So glad she took the calf and that the calf is a few days old helps, since it knows what to do. That is always a plus....Bless her heart... she knows she has a good thing there....and I think she is appreciative of it in the only way she knows how.
I think so too. At least I hope so!
Occasionally she will lift a leg, and that baby backs wayyyy off. But I think it's all gonna work out!
😀

Considering her condition the first day, and the fact that she is a jersey... I don't think she looks too bad. Yep, more feed will up her milk and help her gain a little condition.

Calves seemed to have gotten a routine down and mama is really making milk!

She was waiting for her dinner tonight, just standing there, dripping milk again.

Calves took care of that about half hour later.

Wondering if she could handle 3?
Hmmmm.....

Should've gotten a pic of that bag of milk tonight. She and her 2 calves are coming right along!
I think they are paired up good, and I'm thinking about turning em out with the herd tomorrow.
I'm wondering how she will do for feeding.
I've been feeding her twice daily. Think she will be easy to catch for feed daily?
Im thinking she will be waiting for me morning and evening. Shes got the routine down now. Poor her, been penned since I bought her!
Grass is coming but it ain't ready yet!
Thoughts anyone....

I'm glad they are all doin good. If she's used to getting feed like that I'd say she will come looking for it every time she sees you, so that shouldn't be an issue. I've got 3 or 4 that are spoiled and come looking for a handout every time I'm anywhere near the barn. They will come from a good ways off. Even if I don't give them anything they'll hang around for a while just in case they might miss something.

Got them babies tagged and turned em all out together.
It's always fun to see them frolick after being penned for a while. Mama had a tremendous amount of energy!! She moves really well.
Them lil babies are hot rod v-8s! 🤣
They'll figure out the hot wire eventually......
20210320_103807.jpg20210320_122233.jpg
Couple hours later she was trying to figure out how to get back in the pen.... 😆

Don't think she will be a problem to get to come in for feed until the grass gets really growing....
The red/white one looks really good.... and the little black one is growing too. The cow looks 100x better than when you got her.... Congrats on a good deal....

Just to steal a little slice of your thread..... I have a jer/hol nurse cow that raised 5 last year. Then she had 3 on her this lactation since I was dealing with the ankle replacement & in the walking boot for a long time. We shipped calves Friday, including her 3; she had gotten thinner than I liked and I said she was getting a break regardless of how far along bred she is.... So on Saturday, my son had a new 1st calf heifer.... 1 of 12 he bought a week ago..... calve and prolapsed. I found her and told him so he called the vet and they got it put back in but she didn't look good. I was at a farm testing at this point. He found the calf which I never saw since I didn't have alot of time before going to work. They got the calf to suck colostrum off the cow while she was laying down, then she got up and it sucked some more he said. He went to check on her last night and she died.... so they brought the calf to the barn. He asked if I thought the nurse cow might take it... I said try her. He gave her some grain and the calf did go on her. Then he locked the calf in the alley and let the cow back out. This morning I went back up and got her in, grained her and put the calf in there. She moved around a bit, kept looking at me, smelling the calf, but let it go on her and it nursed good. She picked up her foot once and half heartedly kicked/pushed it away.... Bless her heart.... I have another heifer due anytime and if possible I will try to graft this calf over on her since she will have too much milk for one, she is a jersey cross.... but sweet 801 just looked at me like, you promised me a break......... and let it nurse. I really want to dry her up but she will feed it for a bit til I can maybe get it on the other one....don't have a "due date" since she was bull bred but she can't go much longer with her udder just getting more developed every day....
Some of them, like my 801 (sweet good hearted cow) are a treasure.....

Got them babies tagged and turned em all out together.
It's always fun to see them frolick after being penned for a while. Mama had a tremendous amount of energy!! She moves really well.
Them lil babies are hot rod v-8s! 🤣
They'll figure out the hot wire eventually......
View attachment 3223View attachment 3224
Couple hours later she was trying to figure out how to get back in the pen.... 😆
I really like this cow and those 2 calves as well. I think you got a diamond in the rough when you bought her. Try feeding her BOSS 2500 calories per pound. High in protein, and the oil in it will do wonders for her coat. Add a cup of corn oil ( cheaper) or rice bran oil or wheat germ oil ( cost more but better) and a scoop of 100% Biotin crumbles to it, too, if you really wanna make that coat shine.

Latest posts