Think she will make milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

It looks like she's going to have a calf soon. I have a Jersey cow due to Calve any day and she's been having the same looking stuff hanging out of her off and on for a few days now.

Well looks like she is going to milk just fine
I think so. I've been thinking it looked like she was starting to bag and looked like she was springing. Thought I was seeing things. Her bag is not completely full yet. But its definitely getting there. So glad I've been feeding her. She is already looking a bit better.

Haven't messed with trying to halter break her. We had some weather here.. 🤣

If she does good, I'm gonna be on the hunt for a bottle calf...

Get a 2nd calf on her and up her feed.... she will come into her milk better with 2 calves demanding to be fed.... and she will gain weight slowly with the coming spring. I think you did good with her for only a month's worth of feed in her before the calf was born. One reason she was called 5 months was due to the calf's small size.... but that is much better than a hulking monster.

O boy. What did I get myself into?
Mama is really making a bag now. Both rear teats are dripping milk...
Occassionally the left rear will just sqiiiiiirt.
Is this a problem?
Calf just need to drink more?
A bit worried here. U can see here left rear wheel is covered in milk.
20210305_180322.jpg
20210305_180414.jpg

Mama is really making what I consider a classic jersey cow bag.
I agree. The lil longhorn cross heifer is so cute! Idk what I'll do with her but anyway....

Both my bottle calves are off the milk and on feed. I'm searching frantically...
Pretty sure she will handle 2 calves if it dont all leak out!

No luck getting a 2nd calf today. Drat!
Mama is making great milk and baby has it all figured out. Lil yeller poops everywhere! Lol.

Neighbor has a couple calves they are bottling, but they are heifers they want to bottle because I think they are going to raise em to breed.

Something will come along soon I bet...
May have to call my buyer neighbor. Hate to do that, but I dont have time this week to go to sales.

Couple 220 pound calves sold fairly cheap today. If I had pen space I wouldve bought em.

And just because we all like pictures, here we go. 😀
Happy lil heifer. 👍👍👍
20210306_082119.jpg

If you dont have extra calves on her she will need milked twice a day. If not she will most likely end up with mastitis .If the calf is allowed access to her 24-7 it may drink two much milk and end up with scours /sick.

Yay.... hope that the cow takes it well. If she gives you some problems, take both calves away from her and then let her have them both at the same time. She will be happy to have "her " baby, and often they will tolerate another because of the relief in the udder pressure. Once the new one gets milk through it's system and the new baby's manure smells like the other one, the cow will more readily accept it. May have to do it for a few days.... but.... it really does help.

Yesterday evening right outta the truck and on to mama while she eats.
20210307_175145.jpg
These 2 are similar in size. And this calf is a week or so older. Maybe 2 weeks. He was a twin.
20210307_174532.jpg
And this morning while being fed. He got in the trailer overnight and couldnt figure out how to get back out. Mama and her calf were both standing by the trailer with him mooing like crazy. I fed mama and scooped him up and shoved him under there...
20210308_070119.jpg
Honestly, I'm in udder disbelief!
She has even licked on him a time or two.

Latest posts