Think she will make milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
This category of the forum doesnt get explored a lot. Last post was wayyy back on October. Figured I'd go buy a "milk cow" and liven the place up.

Just picked up this gal fairly cheap. 5x5
I think shes got a bit of jersey. My thoughts are to put a couple extras on her after she calves. Have to see how she does I guess.
What yall think?

Dont pay any mind to the aspiring pot farmer neighbors...
20210206_160346.jpg20210206_160454.jpg

We will have to see how she does huh? Guess I'll see how she bags when she calves and go from there.
Shes not a heifer tho. 5 year old. 5 months bred. I dont think she had a lot to eat where she came from, but who really knows..
I'm excited to see how she does! And doubly excited to see what her summer coat looks like.

Wormed her, tagged her (she has never had a tag!) Penned her with hay and I'll feed her a bit. This sale barn "vet" has been known to be off a few months.

Ope! Forgot to say, she weighs 1010 lbs today.
Her pretty eyes made me raise my hand. A bid over kill price. Never been excited about those Jersey hips tho..

2nd photo makes her look like she needs a bit of weight - should gain some easily over four months if she's healthy.
Need to be prepared to milk her whether you've got a spare calf to hand or not, might have a bit much milk for just her own calf. Probably mostly Jersey but who knows, I'm trying to figure which other breeds would throw that colour/shape some of the dual-purpose Red breeds mixed with Jersey might do it.

There was a few brown swiss type animals there yesterday too. But idk if they came to the sale with her or not.

Shes supposed to be bred to a black limo/longhorn cross bull??? 😂

Hmmm. I better figure out a plan for a milking stanchion or chute huh? When you guys say "grain" what specifically are u thinking?
For some reason my mind automatically goes to 20% cubes. Would creep feed be sufficient? Or just a cheap sweet feed?

She's either not 5 years old or she's spent most of her life as a heifer/dry cow with the way that udder looks. Is that a Bang's tag in her right ear? You could try to read the tattoo in her right ear for a better idea of her age. The last digit is the year they were vaccinated.

I will not bet against a Jersey cross but I have had black (white mouthed) corriente cow / Red Angus bull cross that look just like that.
The reason I bring it up is the cow looks naturally polled which is a possibility with such a cross. Also the cow in the picture is bagged more
like a corriente than what I perceive a Jersey to be. Just my pov..... anyway I hope she meets muster for you,,,,

Just a pour on of ivermectin @kenny thomas

Yeah, she definitely been dry a while it seems. I am "assuming" she didnt breed back in a timely manner.

My original plan was to calve her out and sell em both. But if she makes good milk I may try and work with her.

I wonder if the vet was smart enough to look at that bangs tag when he mouthed her...
Very good thought!

No milk right now....
20210206_160516.jpg

20210206_160502.jpg

Those Jerseys make good butter fat milk. Have you thought about milking her after she calves? A lot better milk than store bought. Her head looks young. IMO a good looking cow with a lot of potential.

I'm guessing she's a Jersey or high percentage Jersey. Kind of looks like some that are close by here. She looks like she has had to rough it and get by on not much. There's a big difference in the AI sired and good bred dairy cows and the common ones that find themselves in beef herds. Most of those in beef herd settings are just bought cheap at the stockyards and a lot of those situations are cases were folks are inexperienced and just want cows or they don't put anything into their cattle and try to starve a profit from them.

Just a pour on of ivermectin @kenny thomas

Yeah, she definitely been dry a while it seems. I am "assuming" she didnt breed back in a timely manner.

My original plan was to calve her out and sell em both. But if she makes good milk I may try and work with her.

I wonder if the vet was smart enough to look at that bangs tag when he mouthed her...
Very good thought!

No milk right now....
View attachment 2084

View attachment 2083
Something that Lucky_P stated long ago that I believe is that the pour on wormer is great for keeping flies away but little else. He stated that the only part of it that did much internally was what one cow or calf licked off the back of another. He and now I agree, give an injectable wormer.

Very helpful. Thanks guys!

I just did the pour on because that's what I had on hand. I almost didnt even tag her! Haha. Shes kinda unmistakable with my others. We get thru this cold snap and I'll get her wormed correctly. Nothing above freezing for at least 6 days here. I dont like it!

She has calmed down considerably. Got to check her over a lil better today. Her tail switch is plum full of cockleburrs! Think shes been living on dirt and twigs. Cant stand the idea that some folks ascribe to about a cow earning her living (basically starving them) and not providing her neccessary needs. I may be a bit of an optimist, but I think she will come around nicely with a lil basic care.

There is a herd near here that I pass that are almost starved to death. I have seen them fed hay 1 time this winter. They had no grass when winter began. I considered calling animal control. I know they have been there before. The guy has money, he just doesn't care if they look like that.

Drives me nuts to see animals that are "left to earn a living" when there isn't anything for them to start with.... With a bid over pound price, you really can't go wrong. I think she will come along....she's probably thinking she fell off the truck just this side of heaven. She does look rough. I have bought a few like that over the years too. My son gets on me but I just hate to see them when you know they might very well be a diamond in the rough. Many of them seem to also be pretty good dispositioned too... almost like they are appreciative of getting fed a few "squares" instead of starvation rations. Many just don't realize that dairy cross cattle HAVE to have some extra inputs..... They will do good but you have to feed them.
If anyone will give her a chance, I think you are the best thing that has happened to her in awhile.
I feed a 14 % sweet feed to the dairy cows that I have calves on. Sometimes mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with the 17% stocker pellets we feed the weaned calves. If they have like 3 calves, they get 10-15 lbs grain a day for the first 4-5 months ... a little less if the grass is good. I just feed according to how many they have nursing them, and their condition.

Latest posts