Think she will make milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

OP
MurraysMutts

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Bessie must've known I was having troubles.
She brought Val and Ford up today. Got em caught, sorted off. She's done a FINE job with these two!
20220807 125602
This drought has not helped at all. Bessie has lost some condition. Gonna feed her a while.
20220807 120852
Feed her you say? But why? U took her 2 calves. That should help right?
20220807 112850
Yep!
Geronimo got a green cheerio and a tag after that stunt he pulled earlier. Got my rope and drug Sevens 2nd calf in the pen. Seven should pick back up a little with only one calf to raise.
Bessie has always been a problem solver.
I should really just quit creating problems huh?

Here's a couple pics of Bessies Big Babies. Put em on the south acre with my Feeder Heifer and Opal. I'm sure there's gonna be noise made this evening.....
20220807 13035820220807 13030420220807 12572220220807 130316

Last edited:
OP
MurraysMutts

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Well...
It's not all peaches and cream.
Bessie is kinda grumpy about it, but they are sly to her. They nurse while she's eating. Her tummy overrides her grumpyness. 😆

Geronimo is quite aggressive about it. He dodges and ducks and weaves til she gives up. Then Sevens 2nd sneaks in there too.

Probly gonna have em penned a couple weeks. We will see how it goes. Didn't try this last year. Gave her a pretty good break. Wish we still had some good grass.

Peace

Reaction score
Well...
It's not all peaches and cream.
Bessie is kinda grumpy about it, but they are sly to her. They nurse while she's eating. Her tummy overrides her grumpyness. 😆

Geronimo is quite aggressive about it. He dodges and ducks and weaves til she gives up. Then Sevens 2nd sneaks in there too.

Probly gonna have em penned a couple weeks. We will see how it goes. Didn't try this last year. Gave her a pretty good break. Wish we still had some good grass.

All good stuff...let her raise 4 to 6 a year for you and that's as much as a guy can ask for...heck at 6 a year you could afford to feed her stuff from Tractor Supply...please don't, but you get the idea

OP
MurraysMutts

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Not a great picture here. But she's coming around to the idea.
I'm certainly surprised there has been no jailbreaks from either side. Bessies 2 are restrained by 5 strands of hot wire, only about as tall as they are! Not 200 feet from Bessies pen with her 2 new ones.
They are not bawling near as much already. There must be something to this fenceline weaning thing. Just really easy to get along with animals too I reckon helps a lot. (I know. That was a garbled up sentence! 🤣)
And feed. Lots of danged expensive feed!
O! And her 2 have lots of company too. Brandy's 3 are with them. And they are super calm and gentle. And unbelievably, NO ONE IS NURSING EACH OTHER!! Or Opal! My bred jersey heifer.
Sometimes all the stars align....
20220809 181242

Lannie

Reaction score
I always fenceline wean my calves because neither the cow nor the calf are too upset as long as they can still see each other. The calves will holler for the first day, usually, but sometimes not even that long, because there's new things to see and do on the other side of the fence. The compost pile is over there, and you know, THAT needs killin'! LOL! Compost piles are evil. 😈

OP
MurraysMutts

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
I'm pretty danged amazed they haven't escaped. Really!
I mean they're only restrained by hot wire. The first 2 days was iffy. They'd run from the other end all the way up to those hot wires and just stop! I think if mama was not penned it'd be different tho.

No nursing of each other going on. I was really worried Lil 'Nuf would try Opal. All good tho!

They are all grazing contently on short short grass. Good hay. And feed twice a day.

Gotta make a plan soon. I've got way too many critters. 😕
Not gonna lie, I'm gonna be pretty sad when Lil 'Nuf sells. She's such a sweet friendly lil heifer. I've ALMOST thought about keeping her and seeing if she will breed. (Twin to a bull calf remember?) That may just prolong the inevitable tho.

Moonlight grazing pic here. Only a few of em.
20220811 210112
And a few minutes later...
Guess this one could go in @Ouachita cloud pic thread
20220811 210842

Last edited:

Latest posts