Think about it .... then voice your opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I just thought about something today and would appreciate your thoughts. After watching a cow who had a retained placenta miraculously get well I came up with a theorem.

Here it is,

The number of retained placentas you have in a herd is directly proportionate to the amount of time you spend in the herd.

Sound reasonable?

dun":h68z5zva said:
1982vett":h68z5zva said:
The more you look, the more you find.

Unless you don;t have any

Dun, if you don't have any I'd be willing to bet you also don't have any lost calves that need rescuing either.

My thinking is that this theorem is equivalent to "a watched pot never boils".

Speaking of lost calves, I lost my first calf in one bunch of cows so I know I started out in the hole. For the past couple of days I've been trying to do a head count on calves - unfortunately I can't seem to count well. :oops: Yesterday I finally got a two good counts on them and found I got two more calves than I do cows. :???: I never used to have this problem when I went out of my way to help them and assist them in ALL their little problems. ;-) Ironically, my calving rate was at least 10% less than it is now. Guess it just goes to show you that I ain't much help.

I'm a thinking that one of these might be half the answer to my accounting dilema.

IMG_3267.jpg

This is exactly my point. But maybe I need to rephrase the theorem to read

The number of PROBLEMS you have in a herd is directly proportionate to the amount of time you spend in the herd.

Reason this came to mind I had a fella with me and he saw the placenta hanging out of a late calver. She had the calf a few hours earlier. My guest got to telling me all what I need to do to "fix" the problem when in time the "problem" fixed itself. (I'm not promoting neglect, just suggesting tempering one's eagerness to "help".)

I'd call that theory "watchful neglect" also know as wait and see. Set a time limit for the problem to fix itself..

we keep a close eye on the springing heifers an cows.an the cows get checked with the heifers.an we rarely have a cow that does not clean out.they clean on their own.

I agree on the neglect theroy.Now for the big ?. You ain't been turkey huntin already have you?Just wondering on your calf count.

rusty":1pela7dc said:
I agree on the neglect theroy.Now for the big ?. You ain't been turkey huntin already have you?Just wondering on your calf count.

Season isn't in yet. Birds are breaking off from the large groups though. I watched a three hen group yesterday so its getting time. I have persmission to hunt one particular place that is a turkey heaven. I do some work for the guy and he called me today and asked if I was going to hunt his place this year. He hates turkeys like westeners hate prairie dogs. He told me the hens were putting on a show yesterday. He said he saw 40+ in the bottom pasture. This place is unreal.

I thought after seeing your pic of turkey hunter with jim beam bottle you were already huntin with your 2 calves more than cows.I'm looking for turk season also nothing like having one come strutting in gobbling at every step rather i'm shooter or not.

rusty":2ys5j4f9 said:
I thought after seeing your pic of turkey hunter with jim beam bottle you were already huntin with your 2 calves more than cows.I'm looking for turk season also nothing like having one come strutting in gobbling at every step rather i'm shooter or not.

I hope to get some pictures of the river bottom field. I think you would enjoy them. Two years ago I sat under a live oak tree only to flush three out of the tree just before sun up. I thought I had messed up but I began calling anyhow. In less than 30 minutes I had nearly 40 hens on me and about 15 gobblers. It was amazing to see so many birds but I couldn't get a shot cause I couldn't move a muscle without them eyeing me. This was one of those moments that only occur a few times and are never forgotten.

Jogeephus":jzfgvmim said:
I just thought about something today and would appreciate your thoughts. After watching a cow who had a retained placenta miraculously get well I came up with a theorem.

Here it is,

The number of retained placentas you have in a herd is directly proportionate to the amount of time you spend in the herd.

Sound reasonable?

Zactly.....and it always rains right at the end of the drought. :lol:

I guess we done went and hijacked your thread.I had that happen bow hunting i'd killed a small buck that morning so took a buddy with me to rattle and grunt for him.I set him up in a tree in a low gap and started rattling I had deer coming from all directions.He couldn't get a shot and I didn't even have my bow.It's amazing how deer interact with one another bow hunting I see alot more than gun hunting.Back when I first started turkey hunting i'd jump roost alot , think they were farther than they were, you learn from mistakes like that.Post those pics I love anything about huntin, fishing just outdoors in general.I even tried to get Lorenzo to adopt me without any luck.

Latest posts