Things you take for granted.....

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Lights.
Hot Water.
A ice storm and the lack of power sure make you appreciate electricity.
10 year old son said he is glad he is not Amish after enduring this for since Tuesday and may get practice for 1 - 2 weeks they say. Got plenty of cleanup around here to do now, dread looking at all the fences. Wooded areas are almost too dangerous to go in as limbs and tops are constantly falling. Cows are sure sucking the hay up in this mess.

Amen.

We had a bad ice storm here December of 2007. Had three inches of rain with the temperature about 28 degrees. Started about midnight, and lasted until mid-morning. We were without power for 3 days before I broke down and bought a generator. Power came back on 2 days after that. Some people were out for two weeks. Luckily most of the ice melted off 2 days after the storm, so breaks didn't keep occurring. The clean-up was one of the worst parts. All the limbs laying everywhere, and whole trees in places. Cleaning up the fence lines was a major chore.

I feel for you. Been there, done that, it sucks.

bandit80":3qhz7h3m said:
Amen.

We had a bad ice storm here December of 2007. Had three inches of rain with the temperature about 28 degrees. Started about midnight, and lasted until mid-morning. We were without power for 3 days before I broke down and bought a generator. Power came back on 2 days after that. Some people were out for two weeks. Luckily most of the ice melted off 2 days after the storm, so breaks didn't keep occurring. The clean-up was one of the worst parts. All the limbs laying everywhere, and whole trees in places. Cleaning up the fence lines was a major chore.

I feel for you. Been there, done that, it sucks.
Sounds like here, ice then lots of rain, more ice than about an inch of snow.
Nothing has melted yet maybe tomorrow. We are running a generator. Was working on trimming low hanging limbs back from around my fields guess I will have to redo the ones I already done.

Overall we are a lot better off than some, at least we have a generator and water. Some area water plants are down so somehave no water. One county has 90% of people out of power.

Tom, it sounds like you got it worse than we did and it sounds like to the north of us is worse . We have maybe 1/2 inch of ice, the buildings have a pretty good load on them, but they seem to be taking it ok. I hear you on the electricity, in this day and age we do so much work with electricity that we're lost without it . When the hurricane hit I said I was gonna update and improve our generator capabilities, well guess what, it's out there in the same condition it was when the power came back on . Out of sight out of mind :oops: .

Larry

Worst I remember was wildfire in '90. 45 MPH west wind. There was not much anyone could do. The fire dept saved the house. I did not lose the tractor or any stock either. No well water to fight with when the power is off from burned poles.

Clean up was not bad. Just roll up the wire from the burned fences. Let the stumps smolder on out because the trees were all gone. New wheels, tires, wood deck, wiring, and paint for most of the trailers and equipment. The junk iron haulers took what metal was left from things in the 3 barns. Run and magnet across the old foundation to pick up nails and drop them in the holes where fence posts used to be.

Latest posts