Things that make you go UGH

Help Support CattleToday:

Workinonit Farm":1txv6cfm said:
M-5":1txv6cfm said:

And a few other choice words

Why do they do that!?! :mad: :frowns:
They want it baptized!...

I'm glad I have no water holes around here.. I've had them put the calf on the other side of the fence a few times, or stuff the calf under irrigation pipes.. which essentially has the same probability of failure.

I drove a long way to get to this gate and its even longer to get to the other side to get in where its not flooded....UGH Had no idea that we got that much rain to do this...

M-5":79xtj273 said:
She's penned till weekend , and she's acting like a mama now.
That's always a relief when a heifer gets it figured it out huh? I've had a couple try their best to get their calves to nurse under their front legs...

greybeard":1kc5szcg said:
M-5":1kc5szcg said:
She's penned till weekend , and she's acting like a mama now.
That's always a relief when a heifer gets it figured it out huh? I've had a couple try their best to get their calves to nurse under their front legs...

that's what she was doing the other afternoon. I went back out at dark and they had it figured out I gave him another pint of replacer just so he wouldn't aggravate her any more. I backed the trailer up to the gate and left it there , she got out and he bedded down where it was dry and before bed was still there. this morning he was in another part of lot , I prepared to give him some supplement but he wanted nothing to do with it. he stood up and Pooped a big pile of that yellow stuff and peed for atleast 5 min. was not hollow and took a couple steps and layed back down. her teats looked sucked so I think im over the hump. One thing that always helps is the dog wants to see the calf and she wont have any part of that . and I don't think its a coincidence cause I've done it several times, pulling the calf from cow for no more than 24 hours. it seems the separation turns on something in the brain.

No picture again....BUT, mower wouldnt start. I'm babysitting our 3 yr old grandson for a WEEK and had a couple hours while the great grand parents watched him. Call husband to tell him mower wont start. He was in the back of the woods getting the traps we set out for the cougar. Said he'd be there in a few min.. As i sat there, i could hear cow commotion, lots of mooing off towards the grand parents house. Looked, saw no cows.....i was like hum...........Husband calls again and says, all the heifers are out on the road. I was like crap...the noise i was hearing was the heifers, shyte. That is a mile down the road from the heifers pasture.
What had happened is, husband was going to dart back and get the traps...someone called him and he was delayed back there. Left the gate open on the road and all the effin heifers and their calves got out. 29 heifers with calves, 30 open heifers. What a friggen mess. And when they hit the road, they made tracks...
THEN THEN, grandpa is out on his gator with my grandson, grandma is out, who moves slower than a turtle, is out trying to turn these idiot heifers back. It was like we had a herd of horses out, running around like idiots..... I look over and gramps is letting 3yr old out of the gator and is running around on the road as we were trying to get them turned back.................AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG....took hours for me to settle down.

Been saddled with my 3 yr old grandson a week while SIL and daughter attend a knife throwing competition in Vegas....Got up this morning with the hopes they get home despite the flooding around here....flight was suppose to land at 6am....i have about 10 text saying they missed their flight...something about they were in line and were told they were a minute late...She said they got in line with 45 minutes to spare....i dunno..........anywho, looks like i'll be babysitting for another day. Which is a big old UGH!!!!!

Its the time of year of the UGHs....its called, the cattle business...lol
Here's yesterday UGH, a double UGH. Pulled into a pasture, the furthest one, the one that has obstacles when it rains..First off find dead newborn calf with around 30 buzzards pestering the poor cow and calf half eaten, must have died the day before during the monsoon rain..
3 yr old in tow. I get to stand by a tree with grandson.. while the guys do the work..After finding the dead calf, we find a cow starting labor. Hang around for around 30 min. and see that there is only one foot out, ugh....call son who brings what we need and a tractor.. Husband gets the other leg out and calf pulled, but by then its dead..ugh

On a good note, we did save the cow. We went over there at a weird time to fill the day before grandsons parents arrived back home...Normally, i would have gone to this pasture at around 5 or 6pm. We went at 1pm to find the cow in labor already....if i had been there 5 hours later, she would have been paralyzed....so, YAY..

Went out at sun up and saw that one of our calving heifers was down on her side...thinking she was calving, ran out there to find her dead. No calf, nothing coming out the back end..She wasnt 100% ready, figured she'd be our last calf.....must have bloated. Was fine before bedtime. UGH

I am so sorry to read of your losses. Your luck looks about like mine. It hurts to lose even one. These things just happen from time to time. But it is still very discouraging. Hope things will get better.

Conception rates were bad bad bad.. We're always above average....Narrowed it to one angus bull. The cows he was with calved in the last few weeks of the breeding season. Half did not calve. Not sure what happened to him early on, but its biting us in the butt now...

Losses always suck,.. This year for me was the C section calf... Lost the calf and had a $1000 bill to go with it... Cow is well at least and is a 2nd momma for a calf that was a thief... she's growing REALLY nicely now!

Latest posts