Things I absolutely hate.....

Help Support CattleToday:

On folks not closing gates behind them, mentioned in another thread, I have a recent story and thought better here in the things I hate thread.

My sister-in-law (the ditsy blonde one) came to visit last weekend, uninvited and without calling, but that's not the problem. Let me know and I'll either meet you at the gate, or leave the clicker hanging on it.

It has an electric actuator, powered by battery with solar panel, all right there to see along with the manufacturers warning sign. She bumped it with her vehicle. It opened a bit and "bounced closed". She backed up and got a run at it, bumping it harder, enough to shear a bolt at the actuator to post attach point. This allowed the gate to open about half way. She drove on through with the bent gate scraping down the entire side of her vehicle.

She finally assumed something was amiss, so she called my wife (our house is a quarter mile away from the main gate). My wife and oldest son met her at the mangled gate, to then listen to SIL suggest that our "bump" gate didn't work right. When wife explained that it's not a bump gate, and the clicker is hanging right there, SIL looked just like a cow staring at a new gate, but she never offered to buy us a new gate.

When I found out, I called brother-in-law and he has agreed to pay enough $$ for me to replace the gate and the busted actuator. But not before he asked me "what about our car?" It was like pulling teeth. I had to explain that the gate was an innocent bystander and had properly warned SIL the first time she bumped.
Quoting Oliver Wendell Douglas again on that one " Oh for the love of … "
At least we aren't the only ones that it seems like we're stuck in a remake of Green Acres.

One of or either one of B's two hired men leaves a gate open about once a week. This ends up with cows spread all over the country or cows mixed in with another bunch that aren't supposed to be together. This is not a one time occurrence. These two are in their mid 20's and supposed to be cowboys. I told B that I knew to shut the gate by the time I was 10. He said he learned long before then. I replied that I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.
That reminds me of several years ago, I had a guy that worked odd jobs here around the farm. He worked off and on for years, and was good help when he sober or not wanting to get drunk. Sometimes I had to go along after he was gone for the day and double check things like gates and maybe straighten some things up depending on what kind of work he was doing.
Occasionally, he was known to be careless especially if he was preoccupied with spending his money on liquor later that day.
One morning after a time like that. I woke up to cattle on the road. After getting them in, proceeded to find cattle from 3 other fields all mixed up. I had figured he had left a gate open, and questioned him about that. Then when I found out Al the other cattle were mixed up to I couldn't figure it making sense that he was in all of those fields that day. Come to find out, some scum bums had broke in the neighbors barn overnight and stole his 4 wheeler. They had cut through 4 places in our fences to get through to a right of way drive that runs through our property on down the road. The sad part was there gates in two places close to where they cut the fence.
So I apologized to the work hand for thinking it was him even though he had done plenty of careless things over the years.

I just talked to B. He had been gone for several days picking his daughter up from college. While he was gone one of the hired guys blew up his loader tractor. A 150 hp Massey. All the dash lights flashing and bells going off to tell him it was out of oil. Instead of shutting it down he tried to drive it half a mile to the house. Motor is toast.
Charolais bull in with the Wagyu cows. Been there for 3 days or more. These two guys are costing him too much money.

I just talked to B. He had been gone for several days picking his daughter up from college. While he was gone one of the hired guys blew up his loader tractor. A 150 hp Massey. All the dash lights flashing and bells going off to tell him it was out of oil. Instead of shutting it down he tried to drive it half a mile to the house. Motor is toast.
Charolais bull in with the Wagyu cows. Been there for 3 days or more. These two guys are costing him too much money.
And people wonder why farmers/ranchers don't get away from home very often.

I think B could have arranged for a private charter flight for the daughter at a lower cost than what those are going to be. He must be a very tolerant person or has a high tolerance for pain.

On folks not closing gates behind them, mentioned in another thread, I have a recent story and thought better here in the things I hate thread.

My sister-in-law (the ditsy blonde one) came to visit last weekend, uninvited and without calling, but that's not the problem. Let me know and I'll either meet you at the gate, or leave the clicker hanging on it.

It has an electric actuator, powered by battery with solar panel, all right there to see along with the manufacturers warning sign. She bumped it with her vehicle. It opened a bit and "bounced closed". She backed up and got a run at it, bumping it harder, enough to shear a bolt at the actuator to post attach point. This allowed the gate to open about half way. She drove on through with the bent gate scraping down the entire side of her vehicle.

She finally assumed something was amiss, so she called my wife (our house is a quarter mile away from the main gate). My wife and oldest son met her at the mangled gate, to then listen to SIL suggest that our "bump" gate didn't work right. When wife explained that it's not a bump gate, and the clicker is hanging right there, SIL looked just like a cow staring at a new gate, but she never offered to buy us a new gate.

When I found out, I called brother-in-law and he has agreed to pay enough $$ for me to replace the gate and the busted actuator. But not before he asked me "what about our car?" It was like pulling teeth. I had to explain that the gate was an innocent bystander and had properly warned SIL the first time she bumped.
Might need a little more culling in the family. That or a stronger gate. But, with people suing for a jeep that attacked the oil change guy, you may be in trouble with your overly aggressive attack gate.

I'm amazed she knew what a bump gate was. Must of watched some YouTubes trying to figure it out.
Her father-in-law has a bump gate, but it's nothing like the one she crunched. His is an electrified (hot) single rod that extends across the driveway. I've seen it and drove through it a few times. Yes, it takes a little getting used to, gotta bump it at just the right speed. Too soft and it won't open. Too hard and it'll open, but you won't get through before it slaps you back.

The gate she ran in to is a full size welded pipe/wire gate (goat proof). When it didn't open first bump, she made sure to bump it harder, and then tried to speed through before it slap her back. Problem was, it never opened more than half way.

I had a game cam setup at the gate to monitor during hunting season, but took it down a few weeks ago. Wishing now I hadn't removed it.

I sure hope there's some things she's good at.

Ken

People who stand there staring at a tape measure or a level for to long....like something is going to miraculously change on it's own....

They're probably not expecting it to change, but instead are trying to understand what it says.

I've seen that same look on my darlins face while staring at the bathroom scale.

I'm pretty sure my wife won't get anywhere near the bathroom scale unless I'm at least ten miles away.

When people cry about being paid then sit on a check for 2 weeks before they deposit it.
I'm going to have to raise my hand on that. I will sit on checks for several weeks, but I live over an hour from town and don't always have time to leave the ranch and make a 2+ hour round trip into town.
I guess if it were a large check I'd make the time. I hate when people write a check for $5.00, that's not worth my time to go into town.

I'm going to have to raise my hand on that. I will sit on checks for several weeks, but I live over an hour from town and don't always have time to leave the ranch and make a 2+ hour round trip into town.
I guess if it were a large check I'd make the time. I hate when people write a check for $5.00, that's not worth my time to go into town.
Wife and I were just talking about this last evening. Year 2 BC (before children), we both worked and would accumulate a few paychecks each before banking them. Small town bank hours at the time were 9am-4pm during the week, so closed going to/from work. Didn't want to make an hour drive on a Saturday.
Kids, grandkids, and business now require that we bank our checks SOON!

Latest posts