Things are getting WAY out of hand

Help Support CattleToday:

A coworker has a son that works the shipyards out in California. according to his son, their are1000s of ships sitting out in the ocean just waiting to get unloaded. problem being that with California's stay-at-home payments, nobody wants to go to work. his son apparently works 24 hrs strait and then 12 hrs off. My thinking is that if those products would be made in USA, problem solved.

Guy at work bought a older JD at an online auction last year. Think maybe a 7400 series. It has cab, air, loader, and 4x4 with around 4,000 hours. He gave $40,000 and says he wouldn't take $50,000 today. They bought it to replace a 110 hp New Holland that they bought new 7-8 years ago and are probably at $10,000 in repairs on. The New Holland broke down last week and needs 3k in parts that are on a 10 week back order. Maybe the old ones are better. I called on a Kubota M6 series and a Case 120U series last week. Both pushed $100 K.

A coworker has a son that works the shipyards out in California. according to his son, their are1000s of ships sitting out in the ocean just waiting to get unloaded. problem being that with California's stay-at-home payments, nobody wants to go to work. his son apparently works 24 hrs strait and then 12 hrs off. My thinking is that if those products would be made in USA, problem solved.
You are exactly right, now why is there only 1 port open in the entire country??? Ponder that question,

I'm sure that's what the new owner is thinking. But in 1982 a 4640 cost $51,000. That tractor could be a nickel and diming pain in the butt. All the hoses and lines are still probably original. That stuff wears out whether the tractor is sitting or being used .
So I am new to farming and tractors but in my opinion if I were to buy a used tractor, the first thing I'd do is to replace all seals and lines and hoses and just figure that into the purchase price. Replace the wear stuff and all fluids up front.

The market is set by what a buyer will pay and a seller will accept. That is becoming more evident every day.

So I am new to farming and tractors but in my opinion if I were to buy a used tractor, the first thing I'd do is to replace all seals and lines and hoses and just figure that into the purchase price. Replace the wear stuff and all fluids up front.
You'll quickly change your mind when when you find out how hard some of the lines and seals are to change and what it'll cost you (it's more expensive to buy a tractor piece by piece). Most of the cattle farmers I know are too busy to completely disassemble their tractors. The ones that aren't can't afford tractors or hundreds of hydraulic lines.

That's high, but a low hour 4640 still has a lot of utility for it's age. New stuff is expensive too, and has all of the emissions BS that nobody wants to deal with.

We got an old 4430 a couple years ago, I put more hours on that tractor than any other. They are a joy to run IMO, even though the quad range is a little bit of a crash box.
What do you mean? I think the quad is a pretty good transmission for what it is. Much better than the synchro.

You'll quickly change your mind when when you find out how hard some of the lines and seals are to change and what it'll cost you (it's more expensive to buy a tractor piece by piece). Most of the cattle farmers I know are too busy to completely disassemble their tractors. The ones that aren't can't afford tractors or hundreds of hydraulic lines.
Also, those old hydraulic lines are likely to outlast the new ones.

Bought a 2001 F-650 this spring. Six speed manual, 7.2 cat, 44K miles for 13K. I put a manure tailgate on it so I can move ~11 yards of manure. All new filters/fluids etc. 16K total invested. Just saw one on CL with more miles for 38K asking...... Course "asking" isn't always what their gettin'. Hell, everyones jumpin' on the band wagon.

It is getting out of hand for sure. Not only tractors, all the other equipment, implements too. Question between new or old, I'd rather buy old, because one can work on them. Run 4440, 7410, 2360 swather and have a 4230 and 2950 which need fixing.
Besides all that, we are not asked if we can afford to pay the prices for used or new anymore. We need the machines to operate and that's where the sellers know they've got us under their thumb.
It's a scary thought though, especially in a year like this where feed is scarce and expensive if you need to buy it, (hopefully not us) and cow prices are tanking one way or the other.
It's a sad world.
I'm not knocking your enthusiasm, all the power to you. But usually, unless there is a obvious problem which needs fixing, you buy a tractor to get to work. Who has the time to get a tractor and take it all apart just for precaution before putting it to work?
But like I've said, all the power to you.

Sullivan auctioneers had a sale yesterday. 1981 JD 4640 3800hrs brought $55,000. A JD 4430 brought $39,000.

Apparently two people lost their minds for a bit. There is no reason a forty year old, two wheel drive, 150hp tractor should bring that much.
Add trucks to that list too

I would add, you're looking at cream of the crop John Deere tractors. If the Deere quality is too expensive, get you a new LS or Mahindra or something and we'll see if it's around in 40 years. I'm sure the company won't be.

Sullivan auctioneers had a sale yesterday. 1981 JD 4640 3800hrs brought $55,000. A JD 4430 brought $39,000.

Apparently two people lost their minds for a bit. There is no reason a forty year old, two wheel drive, 150hp tractor should bring that much.
Equipment costs and repairs must be managed $effectively or kiss production and a profit goodbye
I buy tractors w under 250 hours and swap out with under 1200 hours.
I budget 4k p/yr per 125 hp @pto p tractors and baler. With this expense minus depreciation is 3k per year and just standard oil changes, filters...
I have to shop a lot which is the downside and I swap out every 3 or 4 years

The new stuff breaks down too, and a lot of times the parts are harder to get. There is a plethora of aftermarket and NOS OEM stuff for 30/40/50 series Deeres that you can have shipped to your door in 3 days. Shoup carries a bunch of it, and they will have stuff here in no time.

With our newer stuff, there is no aftermarket, dealer is the only option. Most of the time they don't even stock what I need.

What do you mean? I think the quad is a pretty good transmission for what it is. Much better than the synchro.

I think a quad is just fine, but a powershift with a reverser is a lot handier for a lot of jobs.

I for sure wouldn't have spent that amount of money on a 4430. The 4640 and 4440 are twice the tractor, even though they are "comparable" in size and age. The 40 series got the bigger engine and a lot of upgrades to the rear end, while the 4430 is essentially a 4020 with it's tail twisted. Still a very capable tractor, but a 4640 is stout, even by today's standards.

Last edited:

Latest posts